PDA

View Full Version : Did Powermatic ever make a lunchbox planer?

Josh Waine
06-02-2017, 6:33 PM
I found this on craigslist
It looks like a generic 12.5" lunchbox planer. Just cut off of the imagine on the right hand side looks to be the hand crank. It's pretty cheap so I think I'm gonna jump on it, however I've been googling for the past hour and can't come up with anything comparable. It looks like powermatic never made anything similar to this. Does anyone have any info?

Richard McComas
06-03-2017, 1:08 PM
They must have at one time. Amazon has a manual for it.

https://www.amazon.com/POWERMATIC-Model-Planer-Instructions-Manual/dp/B01B6KBI12

Davis Young
06-03-2017, 2:42 PM
Model 412, it was part of their Artisan line. At the time, their main line was still made in the US and the Artisan line was made overseas (Taiwan, I believe) to compete on price.

Carroll Courtney
06-04-2017, 8:45 AM
If they ever did and made here in the states back in their hay days it would have weigh more than what the normal super hero could lift.I have their PM 100 which is 12" floor model.Heck I had no ideal that any were ever made in that style with their name,thanks for posting----Carroll

Josh Waine
06-16-2017, 11:16 PM
Wow... this took more work than I wanted to put in. Thankfully it was cheap. It must have been outside for a while because everything was covered in rust. All four posts that the cutter head goes up and down on were roughly .010" oversized and seized. I had to cut a slot in the casting at each corner post to relieve pressure. Once I got them out, I threw them on the lathe and slowly sanded them down. Lots of oil and now it adjusts easily, thankfully the plastic gears weren't chewed up. The blades were shot, luckily I flipped them around and the other side was rust-free. It cuts really well but I had to build a cart with a melamine shelf to help reduce the tear out. The dust hood works better than I thought, but I really should have thought about where the shop vac hose would end up. I plan on building drawers below the planer, I have a small shop and can't afford to have a dedicated tool stand without storage.