PDA

View Full Version : Long morning on the Rust Hunt

steven c newman
06-02-2017, 2:49 PM
After 6 sales, was about to call it a day....stopped at just one more....
price tag said $15....stand had a broken brace, and was missing a drawer. Offered $10....paid $12
Saw is a Henry Disston & Sons, made for Millers Falls 5" x 30"
4 bolt handle has a Millers Falls label....speaking of labels..
Langdon ACME Mitre Box.....it was missing a few parts, and needs a bit of clean up..
Stock holders are MIA.
I think I MIGHT be able to find a use for the stand...
Mitre box is a "Size" 2 1/2, model number is 75......Might have paid too much?:rolleyes:

lowell holmes
06-02-2017, 5:06 PM
I bought a back saw from a miter box one time thinking I would use it as a back saw. There was no miter box.

Well,the saw is entirely too heavy to use as a back saw, so it never gets used. I have a wooden miter box, but I use my back saw in it.

So, go figure. :)

Stew Denton
06-02-2017, 7:52 PM
Steven,

"Might have paid too much?" I DON"T THINK SO! In my view you came up with an incredible deal!

I like my Langdon miter box, but mine is fairly worn, the bearings that guide the back saw are about shot. I would love to find someone who can do whatever machining, etc., is needed so I can get mine rebuilt.

Back to your buy......YA DID GOOD!!!

Stew

steven c newman
06-03-2017, 4:01 PM
Cleaned the saw itself up today. Etch on the plate is 90% readable. Was Etched for Millers Falls, Langdon Mitre Box, from Millers Falls, MASS, USA. Triangle logo, with the "Since 1868"

Plate is straight, teeth seem quite sharp. No missing teeth, tooth line is straight, no sign of wear in the middle. Brass bolts now are shiny, again. medallion merely has DISSTON and PHILADA with a star on each side. handle looks like new, no damage seen. Trying to figure out HOW to preserve the label on the handle.

Cleaned the guides and stops of rust and grime. VERY light coat of oil was wiped on, wiped off of the moving parts. Test drive was very nice, saw cuts fast and accurately. This is one BIG saw, and Mitre Box. No.75, size 2 1/2?

steven c newman
06-03-2017, 5:27 PM
Saw is done..
Cuts fast and straight
Brass is shined up...
Etches have been found..
The one on the plate is a bit camera shy, though.
Test drive was great. This is one, BIG, HEAVY saw...I doubt if anyone will be cutting dovetails with this one....

Stew Denton
06-03-2017, 8:56 PM
Hi Steven,

The saw is looking pretty good. It's about the size of the back saw in my Langdon, but appears to be deeper.

Your right, if your saw is as heavy as mine it is too heavy for cutting dovetails........California Condor tails maybe?

Stew

steven c newman
06-04-2017, 11:58 PM
Saw was made about 1928. Millers Falls moved from Millers Falls to Greenfield in 1931......kind of narrows down how old this mitre box and saw are. Seems to be well preserved. Saw is very sharp. May have the box about cleaned up this week.

The stand it came with? Well, it sat on the back patio a day too long...
About like the saw bench I keep out there...if it has a flat top, it gets a plant, or two....haven't even started to clean it up.

michael langman
06-05-2017, 11:37 AM
I would say you did VERY well on that rust hunt Steven. The base looks great on the porch with the plants too.

steven c newman
06-05-2017, 6:57 PM
Have started to rehab the box. Dealing with a strained neck and concussion doesn't help, either.
Had to use the Hammerhead impact drill, to get the bolts out from these feet. Had a few bolts holding the deck plates that also needed a little hit.
Underside of the frame needs quite a bit of cleaning, then a coat of rattlecan Black.
Topside, same story, mainly where the plates were. Plates?
Wire wheel to clean the top up. Sander to clean the underside. Rattlecan RED on all surfaces.
Brightworks will get cleaned and polished back up. Have some of them done.
These little critters might take a while.....

Might take a day or two.....but, the mitre box IS 90 years old, after all......stay tuned.

steven c newman
06-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Those bolts are now nice and shiny, and are sitting in a small puddle of 3in1 oil, to keep them that way.

Legs for the box are still a bit tacky.....Mainframe has been cleaned and painted, will let it sit overnight.... maybe some reassembly tomorrow?

In the next to last picture, showing the saw stop? It is on upside down. Have since flipped them around to where they need to be. They keep the saw from cutting into the gib....handy feature. More of a set & forget thing...until the saw is sharpened up, again.

steven c newman
06-06-2017, 3:50 PM
Paint it dry, parts are back together...
Stand has been painted a little glossy.
Scale has teeth marks, old owner had the saw set too low..easy to fix.
There are stops to keep the saw up out of the gib...old owner had these upside down. Cut is from doing a pair of 45 degree cuts.
Saw install..
Needs a bit of wax on the plate, and a better operator....."Let the saw DO the work.."
When the swing arm is unlocked, I can use just a finger or two to swing things to the next setting.
Might just be worth the $12......Langdon ACME No.75, size 2-1/2. Made in Millers Falls MASS, USA.

steven c newman
06-07-2017, 9:52 AM
May go and find a few parts, to make the stock holders for this box.

steven c newman
06-10-2017, 4:00 PM
Kind of rough today....mile after mile of yard sales...and no spare cash to spend.....Grrrrrrrr.

steven c newman
06-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Did almost too well of a rehab on this saw and box.....going to keep it, and get rid of two smaller boxes. Have a "meet" next weekend, will take them along, and not bring them back. Stanley #2246 and #358, with saws. They might weigh almost as much together as this "new" box and saw does. Not enough room IN the shop for three of these big boys.....

Mike Baker 2
06-12-2017, 3:09 PM
Kind of rough today....mile after mile of yard sales...and no spare cash to spend.....Grrrrrrrr.

Yes, I went hunting last weekend. Didn't have very much cash. There was an end vice and a side vice. $35 for the side vise, $25 for the end vise. No money. Always happens when you have no cash on you. Both in excellent condition, and would have been lovely on my bench. Meh.

steven c newman
06-13-2017, 5:14 PM
Yep, did too good of a job....
Has taken the place of the Stanley #358 Mitre Box...