PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Dust Collection

Ted Reischl
06-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Pretty simple and it works fairly well. No, it does not get 100% of the dust, but more like 90%.

I had a 2 1/2 inch floor sweep attachment I never used so this was easy. I bored a hole in a 2 X 6 for a snug fit. Beveled the 2 X 6 so the sweep was more upright. Made a little riser block to elevate it. The banjo is just two strips with some spacers. Made a nut that rides between the ways.

I saw this idea on youtube or something like it anyhow. One neat thing is that the banjo allows it to be parked way out of the way under the headstock. So there is not a lot of fiddling around when I want to use it. I am only running 2.5 flex up to it since I am too lazy to modify my dust collection runs for something that I use occasionally.

Simple to do and it does a decent job.

Oh yea, when I use it, I put it to within a half inch of the piece, I just pushed it back in the pics so everyone can see what it is.

Prashun Patel
06-02-2017, 2:29 PM
Awesome Ted! I just made one based on (I think) the same Youtube video. I suspect it's the same because the guy mentioned about tucking it under the headstock when not in use.

It works well for sanding for me.

William C Rogers
06-02-2017, 2:35 PM
Nice! I'm going to have to look at my floor sweep I never use. Right now I have a big gulp, but that would be less bulky. Fortunately I have a stand for it that came with a used Jet 1900.

Bill Dufour
06-04-2017, 11:00 PM
A 6" metal register boot would be better but man that sharp metal can sure cut. It would have to have some guards over the edges to make it any thing close to safe enough to move around. Yours is a better design because it can be used safely so it will be used.
bill

Like this one
http://www.simplyplumbing.com/87907-register-boot.html?gclid=CIuSpq7bpdQCFZWHaQod7-MBrw

Ted Reischl
06-05-2017, 1:41 PM
No, a 6 inch boot would not be better. Then I would have to run a bunch of pipe. This works really well off the 2.5 flex hose I use to clean up the shop. I have a very small shop, my main dust lines are 4 inch. This works exactly the way I want it to.