PDA

View Full Version : New Kreg Accu-Cut

Dave Lehnert
06-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Kreg posed on Facebook they are about to introduce a guided saw system. $79 retail price.

For woodworkers who have used a trac-saw or the like, what are your first impressions of this?
Only 48" cut.
Is it any better than a homemade setup?

https://youtu.be/kQuQs23M2g4

Paul K. Johnson
06-01-2017, 11:10 PM
The video shows two tracks together so I'm sure it will rip a full sheet of plywood. It would be stupid to introduce a competitor to track saws that didn't.

If you already have a circular saw you like then this seems like a good way to go. I have the Makita system and like it a lot but if I didn't have it and did have a saw then I would probably go this route and save a ton of cash. The Makita doesn't do anything this doesn't do except the Makita saw has a score-cut feature that I never use.

Rick Potter
06-02-2017, 12:15 AM
The video says it cuts about 48". The best part of it is that it has a no chip strip. Looks like a great alternative for sheet goods, considering the price. If it is a success, I imagine Kreg will release longer rails also.

EDIT: If you look at their video (11 seconds in) they show briefly, but clearly that the 48" track IS two separate tracks with joining bars. I see no reason to think they could not add more 2' sections.

Paul K. Johnson
06-02-2017, 8:17 AM
Even if they don't sell a longer track then it would be easy enough to make your own joiners. I'm sure Kreg will sell the track by itself (without the sled) or maybe buy two and adapt the second sled for a router or something. It's still way cheaper than a track saw system that includes the saw.

Paul K. Johnson
06-02-2017, 8:20 AM
So I just checked the Kreg site and sure enough it says it only cuts a maximum of 48" and no mention of joining tracks. I would contact them and see if they plan to make a track joiner and then see. If there wasn't a way to join two tracks to rip a full sheet of plywood I wouldn't buy it no matter how much money I was saving. The whole reason I use a track saw is to break down plywood sheets to make them manageable for my table saw. I know a lot of guys use them instead of a table saw and they make finish cuts with them. Even so, if you can't cut more than 48" then you'd be very limited.

Kreg link: https://www.kregtool.com/store/c48/saw-attachments/p425/accu-cut/

glenn bradley
06-02-2017, 8:26 AM
The advantage over my shop made guide is that the saw is held in position left-to-right. My guide requires that I hold the saw against the side rail. This has not been a problem but, not having to manually control that plane would make things easier.

Frederick Skelly
06-02-2017, 9:26 AM
If you already have a circular saw you like then this seems like a good way to go.

I agree. If you already own a good circ saw, why not try it for the price? (I have the dewalt track saw.)

Von Bickley
06-02-2017, 9:44 AM
It looks like something I would be interested in. Would like to be able to rip a 8 ft. sheet of plywood.

Ben Rivel
06-02-2017, 11:36 AM
Sure, it could work just fine. Dust collection will be terrible, like it is with every non-track saw circular saw. And I love the tear out at 23 seconds in the video. That looks realistic. I'd suggest saving your money for a decent or good track saw. But if its just never going to be in the budget or you cant wait that long, this might be yet another viable substitute for a track saw option out there.

lowell holmes
06-02-2017, 11:41 AM
I have an old saw guide I use occasionally. I it is similar to this. It is two 48 " sections. It works.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Genesis-2-in-Aluminum-Rip-Cutting-Track-System-3-Piece-GAPCS203/206137367?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cG%7cBase%7cPLA%7cD25T% 7cPowerTools&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmcTJBRCYirao6oWPyMsBEiQA9hQPbnCKgY6B 58dItY68mG8tEto-FVhng3UAG26K5K60Jk0aAnF28P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

You also can make a plywood guide. I made one for an eight foot sheet of plywood, but a 48" one is handier. You lay out a 12" wide strip of plywood and nail a 1/2" X 3"
strip of plywood in the center and then rip the cutting edge with your saw. I used it for years before getting a table saw.

Adam Herman
06-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Looks similar to the true track and EZ smart systems. It would be interesting to compare them.

Peter Kuhlman
06-02-2017, 12:59 PM
For job site or home outdoor projects could be useful with a battery saw. Might try it with my Makita although the blade is on the left so would be using it "backwards".
Not much use inside as no dust collection.
Acceptable price at $79 to try it.
Wonder how finicky it is to remount the saw? Does it hold the last saw position or do you have to recalibrate it every time?
Would think additional rails would be coming. Could use a short rail for construction framing stuff and an additional long rail with joining rods.

Jamie Buxton
06-02-2017, 1:40 PM
That thing is nearly useless. If a tracksaw rig can't cut a straight line for eight feet, it is a toy. And that's odd. Kreg usually sells stuff that is pretty useful, like their pocket-screw stuff.

George Bokros
06-02-2017, 7:28 PM
For ripping a full sheet of ply Kreg has the Kreg Rip Cut

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c48/saw-attachments/p79/rip-cuttrade/

glenn bradley
06-02-2017, 7:37 PM
Sure, it could work just fine. Dust collection will be terrible, like it is with every non-track saw circular saw. And I love the tear out at 23 seconds in the video. That looks realistic. I'd suggest saving your money for a decent or good track saw. But if its just never going to be in the budget or you cant wait that long, this might be yet another viable substitute for a track saw option out there.

The question was "Is it any better than a homemade setup?". I don't think Dave thought it was a sub-$100 Festool ;-)

Jamie Buxton
06-02-2017, 7:46 PM
Not really. That Rip Cut thing is an edge guide. It depends upon the straightness of the plywood edge to cut straight, and it presumes that you want to cut parallel to the edge of the plywood. A track saw has neither of those limitations.

Rick Potter
06-02-2017, 8:46 PM
I edited my original post to say this, but I will put it here also.

The video clearly shows (11 seconds in) that the 48" capacity is reached by connecting two 24" tracks. The video shows the two separate tracks plus the two connector bars. Looks like more 24" sections would be easy to add. The spec sheet also states clearly that it has two 26.5" tracks with connector bars.

As I said before, the anti chip strips are what makes it interesting for those who don't want to spend for a track saw.

Gary Crompton
07-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Toolguy talked to a Kreg rep and he said only 48" for now. Their concern was shipping damage and display space. I have the rip guide of theirs and it works fine if you have a square edge. Cheaper than a track saw but not a solution for ripping full sheets yet. I think they will look at demand before they release a kit for the full 8'

Adam Herman
07-03-2017, 11:49 AM
I would order one today if it was 8 feet for $129 or so. ohwell. saving my pennies for a track saw.

Peter Kuhlman
07-03-2017, 12:13 PM
One other option is Makita sells an adapter to use their top model battery saw with a Festool track. About $38 I think. Ordering one to try out myself. Was thinking it would be good with a short track for more construction type usage. Kind of a cheap Festool HKC without the spring loaded track.

Nick Decker
07-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Is anyone besides me worried about it staying put during a cut? No clamps, just a non-skid surface?

Pat Barry
07-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Looks like a nice tool for the weekend warrior guys who don't have something better. The non skid, clamp free design is great. I don't think all the pro's comments are necessarily wrong, just not applicable for the intended user. Besides, to rip an 8 foot sheet just requires a simple reposioning of the device and away you go

johnny means
07-03-2017, 6:15 PM
Personally, I can't see the sense in rigging up something like this when I could very likely come up with a better system using scrap material. My first "tracksaw" was just a strip of MDF stapled to a strip of Masonite with a coating of spray glue applied to the bottom. It served me for a few years, didn't cost anything, and cut a full eight feet.

andrew whicker
07-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Don't pros use panel saws?

I thought track saws might fall into 'serious' weekend warrior, but figured they didn't fall into 'pro' category.