PDA

View Full Version : Today`s Rust Hunt

John Edwards
10-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi folks,
As the flea season winds down here in Michigan. The dealers are coming out with some of the stuff that they just simply want to get rid of.
A few pic`s on todays haul.........
Total investment $50.00

John Edwards
10-23-2005, 12:57 PM
And a present for Dad. Who at 80 still has and rides his 6 motorcycles.

Will make him a couple of display boxes to store them in.

Dan Forman
10-23-2005, 4:33 PM
Now that's a great haul!

Dan

John Miliunas
10-23-2005, 5:14 PM
Beautiful scores, John! As many "flea markets" or similar, which I've visited in our neck 'o the woods, I could never even imagine producing that much loot for so little!!! You're fortunate.:) :cool:

Steve Wargo
10-23-2005, 5:19 PM
Are those plane soles laying on the cement??? Nice haul anyways. We don't realize how good of rust hinting he have it up here in Indian, Ohio, Penn, and Michigan.

Bob Noles
10-23-2005, 5:34 PM
Good gosh John.... Give me heart failure will ya. At first I thought your post said all for $50 but then I realized you simply dropped a 0.... right???? I just know you dropped a 0. :eek: You did drop a 0 didn't ya?

Man... that is more rust than I have ever seen in just a single picture let alone a whole flea market or even 3.

Now I'm gonna go pout and be depressed the rest of the evening. You should be ashamed! :D

What a haul.... good work!

Mike Wenzloff
10-23-2005, 8:08 PM
Great Haul, John!

Is that a Tumico combo square? And nice saw (no, really. I don't have a saw problem...).

Mike

Mark Stutz
10-23-2005, 8:26 PM
That's just not fair!

T.J. Mahaffey
10-23-2005, 9:08 PM
Incredible haul, John. You scored more good stuff in one whack than I have in my entire shop.

That's it, I give up.
(Well, maybe not. I've got a good lead for next weekend. Hope it pans out!)

Mark Stutz
10-23-2005, 9:22 PM
Good to see you over here, T.J. I thought for a while I was going to have to come after you! How did the vice handle work out?

Mark

John Edwards
10-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys.
It was just one of those days. Got there just as the vendors wete setting up.
Cold, windy and a threat of rain. Gotta love it.

The annoucer kept saying over the loudspeaker that there would only be one more weekend till they closed down for the year. The vendors stood around shivering and whinning about how few customers ther were.

Make me an offer was the saying most heard. Don`t want to have to store this junk all winter. Just get it outta here.

2 #7`s, blocks, couple 4`s, 5`s, a 3 etc. Several spokeshaves. 3 #80`s. One with the oringal stanley sticker still on it. Could`nt make out the medaillon on the saw but it looked like some kinda Eagle.

Don`t worry about the cement ;) . That was just for picture taking. All are down in the safely in the shop.

Over the next week or so I will post the method used to bring one of these tried sods back to life. Maybe the blue #4 :eek: ??

Can`t wait till next weekend :D

T.J. Mahaffey
10-23-2005, 10:46 PM
You, too, Mark. :)
The vise handle was a perfect fit!

Matt Meiser
10-24-2005, 7:30 AM
So where is this Michigan flea market? The only ones I can find in SE Michigan aren't really worth going to.

John Edwards
10-24-2005, 7:39 AM
Matt,
Armada flea market. Armada Ridge Road, just a couple blocks outta town.

Roger Nixon
10-24-2005, 2:34 PM
Really nice haul! What can you tell me about the item that looks like a large spoke shave with wooden handles also what appears to be a brace with an vertical handle and a very short throw?

Oh yeah... YOU SUCK! :D

Jerry Palmer
10-24-2005, 3:33 PM
Gluttony being one of the major sins, I'll send you my snailmail address and you can just forward all that stuff on down to me and save your mortal soul.

Yep, ya'll got it good up north when it comes to rust. I could collect all that stuff around here in a year of antique shops, garage sales and fleas and ten times what you paid would not be enough.

John Edwards
10-24-2005, 4:40 PM
Roger,

Indeed it is a large spokeshave. 16 1/2 inches long, flat bottom. Made by Cincinnati Tool Company. Wooden handles (walnut?) with brass ferrules. Gotta look in Tom LaMonds spokehave book and get some hard history.

What you are seeing is the handle of a Stanley 82 scraper almost touching that small brace. No makers mark on the brace. Only the made in USA writing.
What’s is neat is that is a ratcheting type with the ratchet up at the head rather then the chuck. That will be a user/keeper.

Thanks for the you suck award. My first.

Steve Clardy
10-24-2005, 8:53 PM
What a haul for 50.00
You musta had your mask on. Lol

Chris Thompson
10-26-2005, 8:30 AM
Early this summer I made a trip around Cincinnati's four area Flea Markets (three and a half, really, as one is merely a pole barn filled with a whole lot of nothing). Most had a bunch of "parking lot" sales. I found...

A Witherby spokeshave, the sharp edge crumbling off. $16.

A round shoulder Bedrock #606, broken along both cheeks, patched with RIVETED ON PLATES. maybe 3/4" usable iron left. $65.

A rather nice Ohio Tool #7 equivalent in decent shape. But no, only sold as part of a lot including a junior high wood shop looking toolbox, two 70's era plastic handled saws with no name and some chisels that had no hope of rescue. $100. Firm. Yes, firm. No haggling, no splitting out the plane.

One, exactly one, guy out of the hundreds I saw with a table full of really nice quality chisels. Little to no rust. Long usable blades. Some still sharp. Witherby, Pexto, Swan, Everlast. Each individually labeled with the manufacturer. The catch? $35-45 each. Firm.

I don't know why Cincinnati is a tool dead zone, but we have nothing like what I read about here. Or, if someone local knows of something I'm missing, please, speak up.