PDA

View Full Version : Shaker influence Roubo cabinet of drawers

Andy Nichols
06-01-2017, 9:22 AM
My Roubo build took around 8 months, and that was after the material was gathered, and I needed a break after it was together enough to use.

So I turned my attention to shop appliances, shooting boards, including a long grain version, saw benches...that kind of stuff. Kept thinking that there sure was a lot of unused spaced under my bench...the long grain shooting board turned out to be one of my most used jigs, and I never thought I needed one...

Put a shelf under the bench but that just made me wish for something better.

So started looking/searching examples of workbenches with cabinets, and of course the Shaker benches are the pinnacle of that type of bench...

I did not want the compilation of building a Shaker cabinet into my Roubo, so I designed a simple little component type box out of plywood. Decided to use plywood mainly for the rigidity of the box.

Has an overlay of long leaf pine heartwood, done in ship lap with a moving fillister, however I did cheat, re sawed the ship lap boards on my bandsaw...

Cabinet dimensions are 66" long, 19" high and 17" deep, keeping it small enough to slide between the bench legs and still have space on top and bottom for storage and cleaning.

3 banks of drawers, 6 drawers per bank, 2 banks with half blind, and one (center) with through dovetails. Different spacing and ratios on each, all done as dovetail practice.

Sorta finished, at least it's useable, bench has to weigh close to 1000 lbs now :-) made all the dowels w/ Stanley 77361224

Andrew Hughes
06-01-2017, 9:50 AM
Your bench is very cool I like it.
But your floor is crazy puck rock.Very odd.:cool:

Will Boulware
06-01-2017, 10:43 AM
^^ Agreed! Nice bench, but I LOVE the way the shop looks? Can we get a quick tour to go with the bench pics? :D

Jim Koepke
06-01-2017, 1:39 PM
Very nice bench, +1 on the shop tour.

jtk

Rick Malakoff
06-01-2017, 3:16 PM
Great looking bench,would like to see the rest of the shop.
Rick

Christopher Charles
06-01-2017, 5:04 PM
Great looking bench (and floor!). I have a friend who build a similar set of drawers for below his bench and he loves them. On my (long) list of projects...

I notice the short legs, which presumably allow clearance for the bottom drawers to open?

Would also love to see the rest of the shop.

Best,
C

David Eisenhauer
06-01-2017, 5:06 PM
Nice, nice, nice, but, like Muddy Waters, "we cain't never be satisfied" and want more photos of the bench, bench drawers and shop.

Andy Nichols
06-01-2017, 6:44 PM
361246Thanks to all for the kind comments.....I'll get some pictures together for a small tour.

Drawers are filling up fast...have to give the contents some serious thought....

The floor was to be black and white, then I found several gallons of gray from a porch project, so next thought, white and gray, but like most of us on a budget I used what we had and that was red, so red and gray.

the shop is just under 1200 sq ft, divided between handtool sand machines, with a little over 450 sq ft in the handtool area. Going to expand that by 100 sq ft soon ( moving wall ).

The whole thing was designed as wheelchair accessible, and this is my 3rd attempt at doing that, but this is the largest area I've had to work with, so it's my best product.

Let me work on those pictures....

Thanks again,

Andy

Kris Cook
06-01-2017, 8:08 PM
Very nice work. Looks like that bench should last several generations

Andy Nichols
06-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Well you guys requested so here are a few shop tour photos, since this is a hand tool forum I'll keep the tour in that section.

No hiding the fact that the shop is still under construction, and a photo of the shop from last month will most likely be different form one last week.

Still moving things around, even workbench orientation, and tool storage is an ever evolving process.

Nex big project is to finish my tool cabinet, the doors are hanging on an old TV cabinet, the cobbled together cabinet has helped me with my workflow and shop design decisions....

I'll add a few more pics later, but here's a start.

From the front of the workbench:

Opposite side of workbench:

Tail vise end:

Back vise end, opposite the tail vise, you can also see my desiccated design station ;-) that little corner desk...

More to come....

Andy

Rick Malakoff
06-04-2017, 3:06 PM
Andy thanks for posting pictures of your really great looking shop, made me drool all over my keyboard. Also I like the paint job on the floor at fist glance it looks like vinyl tiles.
Rick

Andrew Hughes
06-04-2017, 3:26 PM
Looks like your well on your way to having a satisfying place to build furniture.
Nice.

Jim Koepke
06-04-2017, 3:38 PM
Great looking shop Andy, thanks for the pics.

jtk

Andy Nichols
06-04-2017, 4:54 PM
Thanks everyone....

Here are a few more that include:

current project lumber storage

dedicated mitersaw station, also has lumber storage accessible from wheelchair

Moxon joinery bench

Steve Mathews
06-04-2017, 5:38 PM
Andy - There's so many nice features of your workbench and shop that it's hard to focus on just one. Hope you don't mind if I save your pics for future reference. I see also you're a Bronco enthusiast. A '70 Jeep Renegade sits in my barn/shop.

David Eisenhauer
06-04-2017, 5:59 PM
Thanks for the photos. I have been considering some type of elevated joinery bench and your photo has turned up the heat. Good stuff.

Andy Nichols
06-04-2017, 6:15 PM
Steve:

no no problem at all, hope something is of use....

You know your vehicles, that Bronco is my wheelchair, wheelchair, it takes me and my wheelchair for the long haul. Not confined to the chair yet, but may have to give the big tires & lift up, if it happens ;-)

Owned more Jeeps than Broncos, but do like the one I have now....