PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale camera had a surprise....

steven c newman
05-31-2017, 5:02 PM
A while back, picked a camera at a yard sale.....took a few pictures to try it out.....went to download the photos...Hmmmm I only took MAYBE 8 pictures...why is there almost 145 on the card? :confused:

Turned out, the old owners had taken a vacation to Tybee Island, GA :eek: And took a LOT of pictures.....Took awhile to delete almost all of them, and resize the ones I left on the card, need to adjust the settings a bit

The surprise? I left ONE picture from that trip on the file...
Just an OLD office/desk chair.....

Needs a set of casters, and a nice Rolltop desk to complete the set?

I do not carve, and just barely able to make a chair.....this comfy looking thing is a bit beyond what I can do.

And, NO, I wasn't born about the time it was made.:rolleyes:...Wilson might have been..:D

Soo, anyone out there want to try their hand at making one of these?:confused:

Sorry, it was the only photo of the chair on the card.:(

Jim Koepke
05-31-2017, 5:09 PM
The base does a little to date the chair. My recollection is in the late 1970s or the early 1980s rolling office chairs were required to have 5 casters on the base for safety reasons.

A friend of mine in California has an antique business and hauled a lot of office furniture from commercial sites and on to his sales area.

jtk

steven c newman
05-31-2017, 5:24 PM
From what I could tell from the pictures, they were touring a house at the Old Fort on the island. Other rooms were full of items from the 1860s-1880s....

Jim Koepke
05-31-2017, 5:38 PM
From what I could tell from the pictures, they were touring a house at the Old Fort on the island. Other rooms were full of items from the 1860s-1880s....

It would not surprise me to find an old oak office chair from that period to be indistinguishable from one made in the 1940s through 1960s. Except the one in your picture is carved which isn't likely for a mass produced office chair after the beginning of the 20th century.

It could also be the product of a marriage of convenience. Only the chair knows for sure. Though it is kind of a neat chair.

jtk

Jim Koepke
05-31-2017, 5:39 PM
Another thought is to search old office furniture catalogs. You may actually be able to find a maker and date.

jtk

Kurt Cady
05-31-2017, 7:17 PM
Should've taken the card back to the owners. It's a shame

steven c newman
05-31-2017, 7:50 PM
Pictures were from 2013.....

Jim Koepke
05-31-2017, 8:12 PM
Should've taken the card back to the owners. It's a shame

It is possible they were downloaded to their computer without being deleted.

jtk