PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on the rotary attachment and Gravostyle 7: need a how to, please

Paul Williams from Nunavut
05-31-2017, 1:30 PM
Hi, and continued thanks to all who have been so helpful in the past. I have a new question:

I have been "flat engraving" for a number of years now, and have always possessed the rotary attachment for my M40DV, but never used it.

A good friend is asking me to engrave a coffee mug for her, and I haven't a clue. I have, now, attached the rotary unit, but before I do anything else, I'm wondering if there are any helpful hints/videos/things I need to see and/or know before I move forward.

As a just in case measure, I have a similar item (as in, not hers) ready to practice on, but any advice ahead of time would be appreciated.

Update: I've managed to engrave my mug, but because it is slightly "fluted" the first engraved line of three came out perfectly, the second line only showed the text at either end of the line leaving out the middle words, and the third line is non-existent.

Thanks again, good folk.

Paul

Doug Fisher
05-31-2017, 7:30 PM
Raise up one end of the rotary accessory until your mug/tumbler is level. I found a very small bubble level at home depot that is a string line level you attach to string to check for level. Only a couple of bucks but very small and compact to fit onto things in the rotary.

Kev Williams
05-31-2017, 11:57 PM
M40DV, you're talking tool engraving, yes?

Since you've already engraved the cup, then you obviously have the basics down :) --

You're rotary is probably the same as my LS900 laser's rotary, only newer-- In my laser if I need to level something, it's just a matter of jacking up the tail and making sure it's square to the table and be careful not to move it! I've also cheated and drilled a couple of holes thru the dovetail and the laser table so I can anchor it in place with some long machine screws... However, not sure you can even raise yours as all-- all I know about M40's is what I see in pics, and even if you can, since your using actual tools rather than a laser beam, the rotary MUST be firmly anchored.

any pics?

Doug Fisher
06-01-2017, 12:12 AM
Many rotaries now have a height adjustment built into them. Mine does not so I went and bought two (you need two for balance/stability) of the rubber wedge/triangle door stoppers at Lowe's. I insert them under one end of the base of the rotary and then move in or out as necessary to raise or lower. $2ish.

Paul Williams from Nunavut
06-01-2017, 2:34 AM
Thanks, Doug and Kev. Unfortunately, the M40 doesn't have to option of tilting the platform (which would be ideal). But the wedges and level bubble ideas sound promising. I'll try to get hold of a couple next time I'm near a hardware store.

And yes, Kev, I was referring to tool engraving, and yes after some trial and error, I managed to find the necessary wizard for doing what I needed to do, although just finding the wizard didn't end all my need for experimenting. For a first attempt, I'm happy. Thankfully the project I'm actually doing for someone else is on a level bit of "tubing" (the insulator portion of a coffee cup type of thing) with no change in aspect, so I should be able to do it fairly simply now that I have my confidence up.

Thanks again for the assists.

Mike Null
06-01-2017, 8:16 AM
Paul
My machine is different than yours but there may be some common procedures. 1. I lower my feed rate to around 10%. 2. I level the item (as you mentioned). 3. I input the correct diameter. 4. I use a diamond that I know from use, is correct for the job. I do a lot of pewter so I don't want a new, sharp diamond for that soft metal. I use my new diamonds on aluminum plates. 5. I want the piece to be secure but not so tight as to impede the rotation. 6. I run a test run without the compressor turned on to check for alignment.