PDA

View Full Version : Help ID. some old hand tools

Doug Walls
05-30-2017, 11:07 AM
I came across a box of old hand tools in a garage that I helped clean out for a realtor.

Most of the items I knew what they were or was able to figure out, But there's a few items I'm not sure about.

The first one is naturally some type of brush, But it has a odd shaped metal piece on the handle end.

Items 2 & 3 could be some type of clamp or vise used to hold small parts for buffing or polishing?

Items 4 , 5 , 6, look to be some type of wedge or clamping device?

The last one I have no idea what it's for? It has two smaller holes on the outer ends & a larger hole in the middle, There's a thin piece of leather lace/strap through one of the end holes.

Doug

bridger berdel
05-30-2017, 3:25 PM
The first thing looks like the kind of brush used in an automotive parts cleaner.
The second, probably a hand vise
The third, a jeweller's bench pin

Lee Schierer
05-30-2017, 7:29 PM
# 7 looks like a Handle for a hand auger that someone made into a whip.

Rick Whitehead
05-30-2017, 10:44 PM
They look like jeweler's tools to me.
The first one, the brush, looks like a standard parts-cleaning brush, as Bridger said,with a piece of metal added, possibly for use as a scraper.
The second one looks like a clamp, as you said, possibly for rings.
Items 4, 5, and 6 look like user-made pins that fit into a jeweler's bench pin holder.
The last item may be the cross-piece for a jeweler's pump drill. In use, there would be a shaft with a flywheel below that went through the middle hole. The string would go through a hole at the top of the shaft and be attached at the small holes at the end of the crosspiece. Look up 'Jeweler's pump drill" for examples.
Rick W

Doug Walls
05-30-2017, 10:49 PM
The second, probably a hand vise
The third, a jeweller's bench pin
A hand vise & jewelers bench pin would make since to me, Because also in the box was some old hand engravers/handles & small files that could have probably been used on jewelry.
361145 361146 361147

Doug

Doug Walls
05-31-2017, 9:30 PM
They look like jeweler's tools to me. Yeah with the information I gathered here & on the net I'm pretty sure that's what they were used for.

The first one, the brush, looks like a standard parts-cleaning brush, as Bridger said,with a piece of metal added, possibly for use as a scraper. It could be, But I'm guessing it's old like the other items. The brush head looks like it has a hand-wound wire ferrule, I bet there's not too many brushes made like that any more.

last item may be the cross-piece for a jeweler's pump drill. In use, there would be a shaft with a flywheel below that went through the middle hole. That would explain the small 2"dia. metal wheel I also found in the box.
Looks like I need to find a small mini drill chuck & a shaft to match the flywheel! :)
Thanks for the info. rick!

Doug