PDA

View Full Version : Converting a CO2 to Fiber

Pieter Swart
05-29-2017, 3:21 PM
Hi Guys,

So Like the topic says, is it possible? to turn a 6040 CO2 into a Fiber?

What is the diffs between this "conversion", if it is possible, and a fusion machine that claims to be both machines in one?

Bill George
05-29-2017, 5:11 PM
Hi Guys,

So Like the topic says, is it possible? to turn a 6040 CO2 into a Fiber? NO

What is the diffs between this "conversion", if it is possible, and a fusion machine that claims to be both machines in one?

Two different laser sources I would assume and the Fusion machine as I understand it is very wonderful and also very expensive.

Tony Lenkic
05-29-2017, 5:14 PM
Hi Guys,

So Like the topic says, is it possible? to turn a 6040 CO2 into a Fiber?

Are you refering to Epilog Fuson?
Epilog does have both CO2 and Fiber tubes installed in single enclosure. In print driver you would address what is to be processed by Co2 and what is for fiber.

Tim Bateson
05-29-2017, 5:40 PM
Are you refering to Epilog Fuson?
Epilog does have both CO2 and Fiber tubes installed in single enclosure. In print driver you would address what is to be processed by Co2 and what is for fiber.

Takes a special lens, that so far only Epilog is making. A fiber would fry a CO2 lens.

John Lifer
05-29-2017, 5:52 PM
Kind of an interesting idea, Tim, is the source at the head of the fiber? And just focused straight down?

Or is it off to the side or back and goes through a couple of mirrors like the CO2?

I've got to look at one up closing next chance I get.

Dave Sheldrake
05-29-2017, 5:55 PM
Gweike make them, 2.5m x 1.5m bed

500 watt Fiber source
150 watt CO2 source both always on through a twin head system

$38k

Tim Bateson
05-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Kind of an interesting idea, Tim, is the source at the head of the fiber? And just focused straight down?

Or is it off to the side or back and goes through a couple of mirrors like the CO2?....

In the Fusion Dual, there are 2 laser sources. Each one uses their own series of mirrors. They then share a common mirror and lens. I've been told that if I put a standard CO2 lens in there... it would melt or burst. I paid too much for this machine to experiment.

Pieter Swart
05-30-2017, 7:12 PM
I wonder what it would take to convert an old rig into a Fiber? something that has a deep Z axis and a fair larger work surface... I mean, if epilog can do it, then obviously its possible right?

Dave Sheldrake
05-31-2017, 9:50 PM
Easy enough to do but the parts will likely cost more than buying a complete machine, the water cooled heads for example tend to run $8k+ as a starter before you buy the rest of the kit (and the complete head weighs about 8.5KG so you need a decent machine to begin with)

Tim Bateson
06-01-2017, 8:38 AM
...the water cooled heads for example...

Probably less then half of the machines out there use water cooling.

Dave Sheldrake
06-01-2017, 4:17 PM
I'm on about cutting Fibres Tim, 300+ watt heads with more commonly 500 watt, my two are water cooled (although considerably more than 300 watt) a 20/30/50 watt fibre for me is pointless on a gantry machine, great on a Galvo but not economic on a gantry in what I do (of course I'm also on about fibre delivery not flying optics)