PDA

View Full Version : Link Belts for Cabinet Saw

Jay Brewer
10-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Hey everyone, im new to this forum and first time posting. This is one one of the best forums I have found. Was wondering if anyone makes a link belt and machined pulleys , or the flat type belt for cabinet saws. I have only seen them for contractor saws. Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Jay can't help you with the belt but did want to welcome you to the finest woodworking forum bar none. Lots of knowledge on here and I have learned a ton. You might do a search for link belt and I am sure you will find a ton of info.

Scott Parks
10-23-2005, 12:44 AM
I don't know if machined pulleys are readily available, but you can certainly put link belts on your cabinet saw. I just bought some for my cabinet saw, but I haven't had a chance to put them on yet....

Russ Massery
10-23-2005, 12:52 AM
I have link belts on my grizzly. My local Rockler sells by the foot. As for the machined pulleys you really don't need them because MOST cabinet saws already have them.The reason your need them on a contractors saw is because most mfg. use die cast pulleys on them. My old craftmans had badly warp pulleys which caused a really bad vibration. The machined pulleys made a huge difference. As for the cabinet saw the reason for the link belts are to stop the bad thump I was getting at start up. Cause by "Belt memory" which is the forming of the belt to radius of the pulley.

Ken Shoemaker
10-23-2005, 8:48 AM
Hi Jay!!! Welcome to the Creek. I'm pretty new here too but feel right at home. These guys and gals are the greatest.

Regarding your link-belt question. I recently put a link belt on my Delta Contractor's Saw. A guy told me to "try the belt 'before' changing the pulleys - you may not need'em." MAN! was he right on the money. I simply changed the belt and the saw settled down so much I can literaly stand a nickle on it's edge and start and stop the saw and it never moves.

My recommendation; Change the belt first. If it works you got some cash to spend on more link belts for other machines...

Let us knoow how it comes out. I'm sure others, like me, wonder if it's worth the investment.

Steve Schoene
10-23-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure I understand link belts on cabinet saws.

Cabinet saws need three matched belts so that all three share the tension equally. It one time Delta sold belts matched in length, though most of the machine people I've talked to say that today's belts from the same batch will be quite well matched without any special selection or special price.

Jim Becker
10-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I run link belts on my Jet LT Cabinet saw with no issues and reduced sound levels. Steve is correct that a matched set of belts is most desirous, but it's not been an issue for me. Converting to link belts also got rid of the "bang" on startup that existed with the OEM belts after they set over night. Two things you should know if you do decide to use the link belts...they need to go on in the correct "direction" and you will need to re-tension them several times after installation to work out the stretch. I have not had to revisit them now for about four years in that respect.

Bill Fields
10-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Jay, welcome to SMC!

I bought 5 feet of Accu-link belt from HF for aqbout $20.

5 feet was enough to upgrade TS, DP, and BS.

The TS now passes the "nickel test".

Best $20 bucks I ever spent!

BILL FIELDS

Steve Clardy
10-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Link belts here on my griz 1023.
Mainly because they were easier to install than the original belts.

Rob Blaustein
10-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Link belts here on my griz 1023.
Mainly because they were easier to install than the original belts.

Steve,
Did you notice a difference when you put those on?
Rob

Larry Crim
10-23-2005, 2:14 PM
I have link on my 1023 and yes you can notice a differance, I actually have link on all my machines with the exception of the band saw its a flat belt, I think the place it helped the most was the drillpress and jointer but all the machines have a noticable difference with them.
Larry

Rob Blaustein
10-23-2005, 4:12 PM
Steve or Larry (or Scott),
Is it difficult to swap out belts for the Grizz 1023? I think my 1023 has a bit of 'set' in the belts that contributes to some vibration and was thinking of going the link route but was hesitant because I've read in older threads (and Steve Schoene's post here) that the advantage of link belts was minimal in cabinet-style saws. But it sounds like it does help.

Does anyone recall how many feet you need to make the 3 belts for the 1023?

Is the 'set' in the belts the reason that it's hard to turn the blade manually, and why when I do turn it and let go, it kind of snaps back to where it was--or is that the arbor that does that?
-Rob

Steve Clardy
10-23-2005, 6:13 PM
Steve,
Did you notice a difference when you put those on?
Rob

Saw was smooth with regular belts. But old belts were getting real worn, cracked. Had to tell if it's smoother with link belts. But it's still smooth.

Steve Clardy
10-23-2005, 6:18 PM
Steve or Larry (or Scott),
Is it difficult to swap out belts for the Grizz 1023? I think my 1023 has a bit of 'set' in the belts that contributes to some vibration and was thinking of going the link route but was hesitant because I've read in older threads (and Steve Schoene's post here) that the advantage of link belts was minimal in cabinet-style saws. But it sounds like it does help.

Does anyone recall how many feet you need to make the 3 belts for the 1023?

Is the 'set' in the belts the reason that it's hard to turn the blade manually, and why when I do turn it and let go, it kind of snaps back to where it was--or is that the arbor that does that?
-Rob

Motor mounts have to be loosened, and partial removal of motor with standard belts. Motor pulley faces arbor pulley.
So I cut the old belts, fabricated the link belts from length of old belt, installed one link belt at a time. Wraped it around pulleys, finished putting the link belt together. Did all 3 that way.
Griz 1023 takes 3/8" belts. Mine has 1/2". [Duh] Didn't realize that when I bought them. Works ok though with 1/2".
Four foot package isn't enough for all three belts. Need two packages.

Steve Clardy
10-23-2005, 6:20 PM
Blade rolling back is that the pulleys are small. Belts take on a set when idle.

Tom Hamilton
10-23-2005, 6:21 PM
Welcome Jay!

I put links on my 1950 BoiceCrane Cabinet Saw and as others have said, it makes a huge difference.

As others noted the link belts are directional and will stretch over time. Just remove a link or two when they get sloppy.

Enjoy the Creek!

Tom