PDA

View Full Version : My review of EGO cordless mower

Brian Elfert
05-28-2017, 12:38 PM
I got myself a basically brand new EGO cordless self propelled mower last fall for under $250 including tax.

The mowed grass looks great after mowing. The operation of the mower is not so hot. I am used to my old Honda mower with blade clutch. The need to push down a switch in the center and then pull the lever to start the blade is a royal pain. The levers on my Honda are so much more intuitive to use. I mostly left the blade running when turning around at end of the row. It would have been better for battery to stop the blade when not mowing, but such a pain to restart.

The self propelled mode is a royal pain. The mower does not start moving right away like my Honda. It also tends to coast when let off so you have to let off the lever early to stop in time. A number of times the mower kept going when I stopped the blades because I forgot that the propulsion lever is not tied to the blade clutch like the Honda.

I mowed for about 30 to 40 minutes and the charger showed 25% when I put the battery on the charger when done. The self propelled mower has the largest 7.5 AH battery. I have a three acre lot and only use a push mower for the septic mound and for a little bit of trimming. The rest is done with a riding mower.

Wade Lippman
05-28-2017, 4:51 PM
So it cuts well, but the self propelled feature needs work?

I have heard that the you propelled is so light that you don't need self propelled. I am planning on switching in the near future. My 10 year old Toro has developed a gas leak and I am sure something else will follow soon. Haven't decided between the Lowes Kobalt 80v or the HD Ego 56v. With coupons they are the same price; the Lowes has 2 2ah batteries and the HD has 1 5ah.

Bill Jobe
05-28-2017, 5:44 PM
Hondas are nice. Bought a new one last year. The first time I used it I found out the self-propelled came set on "run". No problem, I just turned it down. I can't believe anyone walks that fast.
I think the handle design is more comfortable than the usual.
I almost bought electric, but not real confident they'd maintain the same performance over time.

Brian Elfert
05-28-2017, 10:10 PM
So it cuts well, but the self propelled feature needs work?

I have heard that the you propelled is so light that you don't need self propelled. I am planning on switching in the near future. My 10 year old Toro has developed a gas leak and I am sure something else will follow soon. Haven't decided between the Lowes Kobalt 80v or the HD Ego 56v. With coupons they are the same price; the Lowes has 2 2ah batteries and the HD has 1 5ah.

You're right I could probably get by without the self propelled feature. I bought my mower from MN Home Outlet (A seller of Home Depot returns) who had the self propelled version and regular versions all marked for $249 minus 15% or 20%. I figured why not get the self propelled version with the larger 7.5 AH battery for the same price? They only had one self propelled and many of the regular version. I might even buy a push version of the mower without battery around Black Friday when there are lots of returns from HD after the summer and MN Home Outlet has some big sales.

I think EGO Power Plus is likely to stick around longer since they are an independent company. They sell all over the world and not just at Home Depot. Kobalt is a Lowe's specific brand. On the other hand, who knows if EGO could stay in business if they lost the Home Depot contract?

I forgot the other annoying feature of the self propulsion system is it takes a second or two after releasing the handle before you can roll the mower backwards. This is a pain trimming under trees and I just started to push the mower manually.

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2017, 2:02 PM
I looked hard at the EGO mower a couple years back, but the best price at the time was ~$450 and the mower itself seemed like overkill for my postage-stamp SoCal back yard. Ended up with the 40V Greenworks 19" with two batteries for ~$250...I get two or three mows out of a charge.

The one thing about the EGO Power Plus that tickled me was the name: I'm amazed Tesla didn't have some variation of that name trademarked. :D:p

Kev Williams
05-30-2017, 8:24 PM
My lawn's a bumpy mess due to night crawlers, it's hard enough just walking on it let alone pushing anything across it!

I just picked up a 4-wheel drive Toro a month ago. Where has THAT thing been all my life? :D

I checked out an EGO at HD over the weekend just because it was there. I'm sure it works okay but too cheesy looking for me. Too much plastic to get hard & brittle in a few years for my taste...