What would be the best one to buy The squirrels are trashing my bird feeders

michael langman
05-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Gamo Whisperer 22 caliber

Rich Engelhardt
05-28-2017, 1:56 PM
Pyramid air dot com.....

They will fix you right up.

I have an ancient Sheridan Blue Streak that will dispatch a rodent easily. Got it for Christmas when I was 13 (1965).

John K Jordan
05-28-2017, 2:41 PM

I use a single pump, Gamo 4.5, Hunter 440 with a quality scope. 1000 fps, shoots 177 caliber pellets (4.5mm). The barrel is pivoted in the middle to form the pump handle. The thing is deadly accurate and pretty quiet. Squirrels, rabbits, possum, crows, skunks. I don't recommend shooting at skunks unless you do it at someone else's house.

JKJ

Steve Schlumpf
05-28-2017, 4:47 PM
John, in my opinion it all really depends on your situation. Do you live in town or out in the country, neighbors live real close or do you have a big yard, long range shooting or will it be under 25'? All of that info makes a difference as to what air rifle would work the best for you. I have an old break-barrel .177 cal pellet gun that I have had since I was 10 and it still is my preferred rifle for anything close. Well, that and it is extremely quiet. I also have a Gamo Big Cat 1250 that can really reach out and make distance shots but it sounds like a .22 going off!

Give us a little more info and we should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Todd Willhoit
05-28-2017, 6:06 PM
You'll be hard pressed to go wrong with something from here:

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=common/home

Rock solid mechanism and wood stocks.

Larry Frank
05-28-2017, 7:04 PM
You can do that but also other ways. We have a squirrel baffle above the feeder and it keeps them off. Are you smarter than a squirrel.

Yonak Hawkins
05-28-2017, 8:36 PM
I'd like to have more information about the problem. Maybe we can figure out a solution that works even when you're not there with gun in hand.

Our bird feeder is within 4 feet of big trees on either side and we haven't had a squirrel get to the birdseed or chew on the feeder in four years this August.

Wade Lippman
05-29-2017, 8:23 AM
Are you smarter than a squirrel.

Apparently not. I tried baffles; they just laughed. I hung a wire between 2 trees and the baffled feeder from that; they jumped 20' down from a tree. They could only hang on about 5% of the time, but that was enough. I shot one; the rest didn't care. I gave up.

Frederick Skelly
05-29-2017, 8:47 AM
We tried everything - squirrel proof feeders, baffles, etc - no success.
Then we got a cat.

Solved that problem.

Pat Barry
05-29-2017, 9:05 AM
If you have an easy meal for them the word quickly gets around the little critters community. You should be able to outsmart a squirrel, right?

John K Jordan
05-29-2017, 9:06 AM
We tried everything - squirrel proof feeders, baffles, etc - no success.
Then we got a cat.

Solved that problem.

Ha! We have five cats, two in/out and three barn cats, excellent hunters all. I think the squirrels must have paid them off. More this year than I've ever seen.

A good friend, a potter, once took me out to his yard to see his amazing squirrel-proof bird feeder. It was tear-drop shaped with a slick glaze the squirrels couldn't get a grip on. He was so proud. While we were standing there a squirrel poked his head out from inside the bird feeder to look at us.

JKJ

daryl moses
05-29-2017, 9:10 AM
I have a RWS mdl. 34 .177 air rifle. I don't use it for squirrels [I have a Ruger 77-22 for that] but i'm sure it would kill one with a well placed shot.
It's supper accurate and cheap to shoot.

Von Bickley
05-29-2017, 9:53 AM
I live in a very rural area so my squirrel gun is a single barrel 410 shotgun. Works for me.....

John K Jordan
05-29-2017, 10:01 AM
I live in a very rural area so my squirrel gun is a single barrel 410 shotgun. Works for me.....

My favorite farm varmint control tool is a youth-sized gun with switchable 22 rifle and 410 barrels. The thing is small and so lightweight, composite stock, easy to carry.

JKJ

Dan Hulbert
05-30-2017, 8:33 AM
Gammo Whisper .177 Will even take down a jackrabbit.

Ted Calver
05-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Be careful, you can get hooked on air rifles and spend lots of money. Last year our garden was destroyed by rampaging rabbits. Forty acres of woods behind the house provides lots of shelter for them. Nothing we tried kept them away...neither commercial repellents nor home remedies, nor three layers of fencing. I tried my neighbors break barrel spring driven gun, but it shot all over the place. Seems that the springs get tired after a while and accuracy suffers. This year my garden is protected by a new Benjamin Marauder pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) with a fifty year old 4-7 variable scope borrowed from my moose gun. This outfit will put a 28grain pellet @ +/-850fps into the center of a dime anywhere within the 30yard field of fire visible from the back deck. It operates on compressed air in the 2000-3000psi range and gets charged from a carbon fiber wrapped tank pressurized to 4500psi. It gets 20-25 shots per charge and the carbon fiber tank will let me refill about forty times before it needs to get refilled at the local SCUBA shop for $15. Got the outfit here (http://www.airtanksforsale.com/), no affiliation. Sounds a bit like a nail gun, but quieter. The loudest noise is the sound of the impact.

Bill Jobe
05-31-2017, 12:31 AM

If you live in a town it would be wise to check it's gun laws. Where I live even a bb gun is considered a firearm. If you get caught shooting an air rifle they come to your house and take it away from you.

Jerome Stanek
05-31-2017, 6:30 AM
If you live in a town it would be wise to check it's gun laws. Where I live even a bb gun is considered a firearm. If you get caught shooting an air rifle they come to your house and take it away from you.

And some areas even if you use your finger as a gun you could get into trouble.

Bill Bukovec
05-31-2017, 9:56 PM
I have a Benjanin trail NP from pyramid air .

To deter the squirrels, I use an electric fencer on the bird feeder pole. First, I mount a pvc pipe over the metal pipe that supports the feeder. Then I wind two wires on the outside of the pvc. One wire is connected to the hot side of the fencer, the other, fencer ground. I can post a picture if you'd like. Too dark to take one now.

John K Jordan
06-01-2017, 7:39 AM
I have a Benjanin trail NP from pyramid air .

To deter the squirrels, I use an electric fencer on the bird feeder pole. First, I mount a pvc pipe over the metal pipe that supports the feeder. Then I wind two wires on the outside of the pvc. One wire is connected to the hot side of the fencer, the other, fencer ground. I can post a picture if you'd like. Too dark to take one now.

That's a good idea! (As long as they can't jump to the feeder.)

When I was a kid I read that Thomas Edison made a similar device to kill cockroaches by fastening two strips of foil to the wall.

JKJ

Robert Willing
06-04-2017, 5:16 PM
I live in the UP of Michigan and some time ago I asked the lady in the local Hardware store what was the best way to keep squirrels out of my bird feeder? She replied "a 22"! That is how I know I live in the UP for sure.:D