PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Ducting

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2005, 11:25 PM
I am looking at getting a bigger dust collector with 2 bags. They will be 1 micron. I will go thru a cyclone put together with a kit from Highland Hardware. The cyclone works well now with 550 cfm. It will be connected to 3 machines. I will probably use on one run 15 ft of 4 inch with a Y going to the two machines with blast gates. The other machine is on the other side of the shop and would use a blast gate on it. My question is can I use a T off the line and run across the ceiling with PVC and flex going to the machine? How much will I lose or is it adviseable to use a T in the line? I think I could use another Y but it would be awkward at best but if that is the best way I will try to figure something out. Thanks

Mike Sheppard
10-22-2005, 11:42 PM
I would not put a tee in DC line, use a lateral or Y on all branchs you will get much better air flow.
Mike

Phil Maddox
10-23-2005, 7:28 AM
That larger DC is not going to help much if you don't increase the size of your ducts. If you run a 4" "to theother side of the shop" flow will be choked terribly.

My other thought is that if the DC is working well with 550 cfm (does it seperate well? - below 95% is not good), then the larger DC may just pull everything straight through it.

Do you have a link to the cyclone kit from Highland hardware? I ran a quick search on their site and nothing came up.

Good luck!

PHil

Jim Becker
10-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Avoid the tee if there is any way at all you can do it...terribly inefficient.

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I kinda thought a T wasn't very good in a collection system.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-24-2005, 1:25 PM
Bernie, especially with the long run after the T, I wouldn't use a T. As gradual as possible will be best here.