PDA

View Full Version : help with slow glue

Art Jordan
05-27-2017, 2:42 PM
Need to attach many wood pieces to a board (32) and then adjust them while the glue drys. (align the edges) I need a really slow drying wood glue.
Any advice would be appreciated.

John TenEyck
05-27-2017, 3:36 PM
If moisture is not a concern, hide glue. If it is, slow set epoxy.

John

Robert LaPlaca
05-27-2017, 8:09 PM
I am only going to agree with the suggestion of hide glue, if we are talking about highly modified (aka. liquid) hide glue like Olde Brown glue, the open time with a glue like this is like 20 - 30 minutes, maybe longer. Traditional hide glue has an open time of maybe 2 - 3 minutes, depending on the ambient temperature and gram strength.

Grant Wilkinson
05-27-2017, 10:15 PM
How long do you need? Titebond Extend gives you 20 - 25 minutes.

Bill Dufour
05-28-2017, 12:49 AM
The powder mixed with water is longer open time then many.
Bill

link from sawmill creek site below.

). At 70 degrees it has roughly 45 minute working time, 12-14 hour clamp time. I'm told that by raising the temp over 100 degrees after clamping the cure time can be cut to 4 hours, and this can be done using an electric blanket.

Jerry Wright
05-28-2017, 8:17 AM
Use white glue. It has a longer open time and is quite strong. It was around before yellow. I am looking at walnut furniture glued with it over 50 years ago - still tight!

Mike Cutler
05-28-2017, 8:34 AM
How much time?

A higher temp rated epoxy can have open times exceeding an hour, if done correctly, and you'd be able to "fiddle" with the pieces long after.

Dave Cav
05-28-2017, 11:59 PM
Use white glue. It has a longer open time and is quite strong. It was around before yellow. I am looking at walnut furniture glued with it over 50 years ago - still tight!

That would be my suggestion, too. White glue is easy to get, has a lot longer open time than yellow carpenter's glues, doesn't grab as fast, and is plenty strong. I used it to glue my workbench top together (3" face glued ash) and it has held up fine.