PDA

View Full Version : Pine?

Byron Trantham
06-22-2003, 3:27 PM
I have been asked to build a changing stations and crib for my son and daughter-in-law's pending baby. [Grandpa number two.] They took me out today to look at the commercial stuff [OUCH!!]. For the most part, the stuff was made from pine and ran about $500 a pop. I have no experience with pine. I know theres white and yellow pine and that's about it. I'm going to consider oak depending upon the price difference. Any suggestions as to which pine should be used for this kind of furniture? Another question. I looked at crib hardware in Rocklers and was shocked at its price as well. I think think the biggest cost is going to be shipping - "special shipping." Anyone out there know of other sources for this kind of hardware? Thanks.

Jim Becker
06-22-2003, 4:04 PM
I I have no experience with pine. I know theres white and yellow pine and that's about it. I'm going to consider oak depending upon the price difference. Any suggestions as to which pine should be used for this kind of furniture?

Byron, you should choose the wood that best meets the needs of the project, including how it will look. Oak and pine don't look even remotely alike, for example.

If you choose pine, furniture is usually made from white pine or similar...at least what I've seen. You could conceivably substitute poplar (tulip poplar, not aspen) if you want something a littler harder and more durable. You can even work with knotty grades if you want that pine look. Finish using a coat of garnet shellac to impart some warm color and then top coat with the finish of your choice. (I don't recommend pigment stains with poplar. If you need more color, use a dye)

Byron Trantham
06-22-2003, 6:16 PM
Jim,
Thanks for your response. I know pine and oak are totally different. I just don't know where my kids want to go with this project and oak should be considered. I hadn't thought about poplar.

As for finish, I pretty much use water soluble dye and shellac. I haven't settled on the top coat - yet. I'm thinking water-based poly. Kid safe?

Tomorrow I will contact my dealer and find out the price difference of the mentioned options.

How'd your spraying go?

Jim Becker
06-22-2003, 6:42 PM
I'm thinking water-based poly. Kid safe?

All finishes sold today are safe when fully cured.

How'd your spraying go?

Excellent. I really like the Fuhr 9100 Acrylic I used for the pantry cabinets and will be using for the upper cabs in the kitchen (tinted a medium green by Jeff Jewitt)...dries fast and looks good. It will compliment the Target Coatings PSL that I'm using on the lower cabinets very nicely.

John Miliunas
06-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Jim,
Thanks for your response. I know pine and oak are totally different. I just don't know where my kids want to go with this project and oak should be considered. I hadn't thought about poplar.

As for finish, I pretty much use water soluble dye and shellac. I haven't settled on the top coat - yet. I'm thinking water-based poly. Kid safe?

Tomorrow I will contact my dealer and find out the price difference of the mentioned options.

How'd your spraying go?

Byron, just for sake of reference, I understand your wish for the finish to be "Kid Safe"...We ALL want to be sure of that! At any rate, any "poly" you use (including oil-based) is kid safe when fully cured. If you're not in a rush, that shouldn't be a problem, so use whichever you feel most comfortable with or one which will suit your needs the best. :cool:

Jim Becker
06-23-2003, 8:35 AM
ByronAt any rate, any "poly" you use (including oil-based) is kid safe when fully cured.

Just to reiterate...ALL finishes sold today are kid safe, food safe, pet safe, alien safe...when fully cured. Shellac is actually used to coat some candies...

Byron Trantham
06-23-2003, 9:10 AM
John, thanks for your input. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry. The kids are planning ahead - they know how long to takes to build stuff. I'll probably be using aniline dye, shellac and water based poly.

Ted Shrader
06-23-2003, 9:13 AM
Byron -

Try this site <a href="http://www.productsamerica.com/page18.html">Products America</a> for crib hardware parts. There is variety and selection. You can call the phone number and talk to a real person.

Good luck,
Ted

Eric Apple - Central IN
06-23-2003, 9:21 AM
One other thing, pine can be rather expensive esp. for clear grade. If it's $$ your trying to save, you might might to price some other woods such as poplar. The prices vary greatly depending upon where you are located.

Byron Trantham
06-23-2003, 9:23 AM
Gee Ted, They only 4,999 options. I was looking for 5,000 options! :D Man this forum is better than an encyclopedia. You guys are the best.

Byron Trantham
06-23-2003, 9:33 AM
Eric, I just got off the phone with my wood guy. White pine [4/4] $4.24/BF for less than a 100BF and $3.08/BF for red oak. Poplar or Birch is less than that.

I have to get with my kids and see what they are looking for in terms of appearance - grain pattern, no grain pattern, etc. I know they want it stained [dyed] and that's all I know for sure at this time.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Arbuckle
06-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Either of Poplar or Birch will dye easier than Pine. Pine's random resin content plays havoc with dye, especially waterbased dye.

Depending on the style of the crib, the less noticable grain of the two hardwoods will probably also be a plus. Congratulations, Grandpa!

Dave