PDA

View Full Version : In praise of cheap simple grills...

Rich Engelhardt
05-27-2017, 5:50 AM
We had a big stainless steel three burner w/"hot plate" side burner and rotisserie for about 7 years.
The thing was so ungainly and such a hassle to get in and out of the enclosed porch I seldom used it.

The last time I used it was last Fall.

The neighbors must have thought I was nuts when I started cheering as the flames began coming out of the front control panel, melting all the plastic knobs!

I was elated beyond words that the monstrosity had finally destroyed itself!

Yesterday, I went to Lowes and picked up a nice simple small lightweight two burner Char-Broil for $79.00 - on sale - minus 5% for putting it on my Lowes card.

Last night for supper, we had two of the greatest, juiciest, mouth watering, perfectly done steaks that I've had in I don't know how long!
Plus, the thing heated up like right now - - now waiting around for some giant "hot box" to get up to temperature.

I've gotta say, this thing is great!
With just my wife and I - and the very occasional guest or two, it's also the perfect size.

We will be having burgers& brauts & dogs, hot off the grill, on Memorial Day! :D :D

Curt Harms
05-27-2017, 7:17 AM
Good deal! Burgers & dogs are mandatory on Memorial Day:cool: I think we do sometimes get caught up in the "Mine's bigger than yours" mindset.

George Bokros
05-27-2017, 7:18 AM
I have a Weber Kettle (one that uses charcoal) that we bought in the 70's. Did you know they still sell charcoal?

Curt Harms
05-27-2017, 7:18 AM
Good deal! Burgers & dogs on the grill are mandatory on Memorial Day:cool: I think we do sometimes get caught up in the "Mine's bigger than yours" mindset.

Larry Frank
05-27-2017, 7:23 AM
I use mine all year around and have to knock the snow off in the winter. It is a Weber 3 burner with cast iron grates about 10 years old. It was not cheap but.....

I needed to replace the burners about a month ago and called Weber and the burner tubes were still under warranty and got new ones free. I also replaced the igniter and now as good as new. Not cheap but dependable after use twice a week and sits outside all the time.

Plans for the weekend are bacon wrapped pork tenderloin with grilled Vidalia onions tonight. Tomorrow I will use my smoker for ribs and finish them off on the grill along with some grilled asparagus.

Justin Ludwig
05-27-2017, 7:39 AM
A timely thread for me as we are shopping for a new grill today. The back of mine is rotting (rust) and the mounts that hold the deflectors in place have, all but one, fallen through. I never once used the side burner - this go-round I'm opting for something following the KISS methodology.

Michael Weber
05-27-2017, 9:41 AM
I still have the cast aluminum portable charcoal kitchen grill my father bought in 1962. Was made by a company in Little Rock, AR. Walked into Sam's Club not long ago and was astonished to see them still for sale. Still being made by the same company (PK) and they even supply parts if needed.

Brian Henderson
05-27-2017, 12:17 PM
I'm in the market for a new grill as well. Our new house has natural gas plumbed to the grill location and even though we have our old propane grill, I want one that uses natural gas. Unfortunately, there aren't that many places that sell natural gas grills up here and the ones that do only sell monster grills that cost, no joke, 8-10x more than propane grills of the same size. There's one place I still have to check out, but Lowes and Home Depot and other regular outlets are simply failing me at the moment.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2017, 1:00 PM
My Weber, 3 burner gas grill sets on the carport and get used year round. Burgers and brauts on Memorial Day.

Matt Meiser
05-27-2017, 1:16 PM
3 words...Big Green Egg. Best grill/smoker we've ever had. Next best thing is Weber but I have to say that the one my parents got about 10 years ago is no where near the same quality as the one I bought about 13 years ago. I sold mine last spring for I think $125 because we hadn't used it since I got the BGE.

Mom is seriously thinking about getting a BGE to replace the Weber because I'm the one who mostly uses it and she loves how things I make on it turn out. Especially the smoked turkeys.

Matt Day
05-27-2017, 1:47 PM
I got one of the cheap sub $100 2 burners at the BORG about 6 years ago and it works, but there are hot spots and I just about always have to grill on High. Been like that pretty much the whole time.

Jim Becker
05-27-2017, 1:54 PM
...but I have to say that the one my parents got about 10 years ago is no where near the same quality as the one I bought about 13 years ago. .

Yea, our previous Webber Genesis was good for a very long time. The current version...not so much. A lot more maintenance and even the aftermarket 'porcelain' covered grates rust. Disappointing. I'll be considering alternatives when I eventually replace it.

Nicholas Lawrence
05-27-2017, 2:08 PM
I have used a Weber charcoal grill for about 10 years. The little one, that cost about $30-$40. It lives outside, in the rain, the snow, the sun. I would be surprised if it does not last another 10 years.

Gordon Eyre
05-27-2017, 3:13 PM
My two burner Dukane has stood me in good stead for years now. It was priced mid-range for other two burner no frills grills. Have never really needed anything bigger. I am thinking of getting a wood pellet Traeger grill for its slow cooking smoked qualities.

Matt Meiser
05-27-2017, 3:37 PM
Grills are kind of like appliances. Grandmas Maytag lasted 30 years. You'll be lucky to get 20% of that on a new Maytag.

Rich Engelhardt
05-27-2017, 5:24 PM
Grills are kind of like appliances. Grandmas Maytag lasted 30 years. You'll be lucky to get 20% of that on a new Maytag.Ain't that the truth!
We had a natural gas one my fat brother in law got for us through the gas company when he worked for them.
That thing lasted forever. Even when it broke down, close to 20 years after we got it, I went to a grill and fireplace shop & they had all the parts I needed in stock!
I rebuilt the thing for about $75 and it lasted on the deck until we tore the deck down.
I think the guy that tore the deck down took it home.

Shawn Pixley
05-27-2017, 6:40 PM
I favor charcoal myself. We have a 27 year old SS Fire Magic. We have gone through 2 sets of grates and one set of fireboxes. It looks a little the worst for wear these days, but still cooks great.

Pat Barry
05-27-2017, 6:51 PM
We had a big stainless steel three burner w/"hot plate" side burner and rotisserie for about 7 years.
The thing was so ungainly and such a hassle to get in and out of the enclosed porch I seldom used it.

The last time I used it was last Fall.

The neighbors must have thought I was nuts when I started cheering as the flames began coming out of the front control panel, melting all the plastic knobs!

I was elated beyond words that the monstrosity had finally destroyed itself!

Yesterday, I went to Lowes and picked up a nice simple small lightweight two burner Char-Broil for $79.00 - on sale - minus 5% for putting it on my Lowes card.

Last night for supper, we had two of the greatest, juiciest, mouth watering, perfectly done steaks that I've had in I don't know how long!
Plus, the thing heated up like right now - - now waiting around for some giant "hot box" to get up to temperature.

I've gotta say, this thing is great!
With just my wife and I - and the very occasional guest or two, it's also the perfect size.

We will be having burgers& brauts & dogs, hot off the grill, on Memorial Day! :D :D
We've had our Charbroiled 2 burner grill for at least 20 years. Had to replace the grate, burner shields and lava rock a few times but it is super dependable and cooks great steaks :)

Bruce Wrenn
05-27-2017, 9:33 PM
We have a cast aluminum Kenmore two burner that I picked up in thrift store 20+ years ago for $5.00. The burner is U shaped cast iron. The grilling racks need replacement, and lava rock rack also need replacement For the lava rock rack, I will get a piece of screen from rock quarry, which will out last even me. Weld up an angle iron frame using FREE bed rails from dumpsters, and add screen inside to hold rocks. FYI, aggregate (fancy term for gravel) is screened to size. When a screen gets one hole in it, it's put in the scrap bin. They measure 4' X 8', and are capable of sizing TONS of rock per day, so they are TOUGH! Bought a can of Hi-Temp black several years ago to paint grill, just haven't done it yet. My other two grills are made from 275 gallon oil drums, and can use either gas or charcoal.

Dave Lehnert
05-28-2017, 12:02 AM
I was in Lowe's last night looking at grills and saw a guy buy a gas grill for $1.999.00 :eek:

My current Gas Grill is a Thermos brand (char-broil) Stainless steel. About 10 years old. Anything made of regular steel has long rusted away. But works as expected.

I have a Weber Kettle grill I purchased in 1986 or 1987 and still use it today. Stay outside year round without a cover.

Curt Harms
05-28-2017, 8:06 AM
I favor charcoal myself. We have a 27 year old SS Fire Magic. We have gone through 2 sets of grates and one set of fireboxes. It looks a little the worst for wear these days, but still cooks great.

Same here. We recently bought a Weber charcoal grill with a propane charcoal lighter. A pound of propane seems to last about a year lighting lump charcoal. No lighter fluid and is usually ready to use 10-15 minutes after starting. It wasn't cheap - I think $349 but it should last a long time with minimum maintenance.

Jim Becker
05-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Same here. We recently bought a Weber charcoal grill with a propane charcoal lighter. A pound of propane seems to last about a year lighting lump charcoal. No lighter fluid and is usually ready to use 10-15 minutes after starting. It wasn't cheap - I think $349 but it should last a long time with minimum maintenance.
I may try something like that next time, Curt. Ready in 10-15 would be acceptable to me. How's the heat for searing? (That's one good thing about my current Webber gas grill...intense heat is available from three closely spaced burners)

Sam Murdoch
05-28-2017, 1:15 PM
Weber charcoal user here too. Our fire starter is a "CHIMNEY".

361027 Piece of newspaper and one match and in 15 minutes +/ I have a full load of hot coals. I don't mind the wait and the price can't be beat. This one in the photos is less than $ 10.00. Can be had for a buck or 2 from yard sales. I have 3 different versions around but one will last 2 or 3 seasons before I need to toss it for one of my spares.

Can be repurposed as a squirrel guard on your bird feeders (minus the handle and the shield and grate - after a bit of scrubbing of course). :D

Matt Meiser
05-28-2017, 5:31 PM
I use my MAPP torch to light lump--quite fast especially if its already been used some.

Do the Weber kettles seal up well enough to snuff out the coals like a kamodo-style grill?

Curt Harms
05-29-2017, 7:40 AM
I may try something like that next time, Curt. Ready in 10-15 would be acceptable to me. How's the heat for searing? (That's one good thing about my current Webber gas grill...intense heat is available from three closely spaced burners)

It came with 2 baskets to hold coals, we use one because we don't generally need a high heat. One caveat about ready in 10-15 minutes - if the weather has been damp it'll take longer. Today for instance ( gray and damp morning) I'll probably run the propane for a minute maybe a half hour before I'm ready to cook. Dries the charcoal out so it starts when I want it to.

Rod Sheridan
05-29-2017, 8:23 AM
Heading up to 20 years on a Napoleon stainless built in.

It has required no parts over the years, nothing, the grilles are as nice as they were when they were they new.

Not inexpensive, but worth every penny..........Rod.

daryl moses
05-29-2017, 9:03 AM
I purchased a Char Broil two burner commercial infrared grill this weekend when they went on sale. So far I am impressed with this little grill, it's just the wife and I at home now so size isn't a problem.
It seems to cook in half the time of my old grill thanks to the infrared technology. The stainless steel is a little thin so I don't expect it to last for more than a few years but for the price it won't hurt too bad when it's time to replace.

Jim Becker
05-29-2017, 10:47 AM
It came with 2 baskets to hold coals, we use one because we don't generally need a high heat. One caveat about ready in 10-15 minutes - if the weather has been damp it'll take longer. Today for instance ( gray and damp morning) I'll probably run the propane for a minute maybe a half hour before I'm ready to cook. Dries the charcoal out so it starts when I want it to.
Thanks. I was looking at it on their website...it's an interesting setup. And I like that there are optional insert accessories available for alternative cooking needs.

Russ Filtz
05-29-2017, 11:09 AM
A decent not overly expensive, yet highly rated gas grill is the Broil King brand. Can be found at Lowes.

Go here for review of ALL sorts. Great resource for ANYTHING grilling/BBQ related.

http://amazingribs.com/

Equipment reviews
http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/

Dave Lehnert
05-29-2017, 2:46 PM
I use my MAPP torch to light lump--quite fast especially if its already been used some.

Do the Weber kettles seal up well enough to snuff out the coals like a kamodo-style grill?

My 1986 Weber Kettle will.

Von Bickley
05-29-2017, 5:03 PM
I have a "Holland Grill". It's not cheap, but it is the only grill I will ever want. Steaks, hamburgers, roast, and even breakfast. You can see a lot about the Holland Grill on you-tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdcXID2nEuQ

John Cole
05-30-2017, 2:09 AM
I use mine all year around and have to knock the snow off in the winter. It is a Weber 3 burner with cast iron grates about 10 years old. It was not cheap but.....

I needed to replace the burners about a month ago and called Weber and the burner tubes were still under warranty and got new ones free. I also replaced the igniter and now as good as new. Not cheap but dependable after use twice a week and sits outside all the time.

Plans for the weekend are bacon wrapped pork tenderloin with grilled Vidalia onions tonight. Tomorrow I will use my smoker for ribs and finish them off on the grill along with some grilled asparagus.

I could have written this post - we have had the same experience with Weber , if would never go back to the cheap grills that rust out in a year.

Larry Edgerton
05-30-2017, 4:31 PM
http://www.amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/grill-tailgater/cook-air-wood-burning-grill

I bought one of these last year because it burns wood. Does and amazing job for a little fellow and takes up very little space when transporting.

I too gave up on gas grills. Also have a Weber for company. Would like a BGE, but no way I am paying that much for a grill.

Kev Williams
05-30-2017, 11:21 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hibachi-- everyone had one in the 70's!

As for big & gomless, at the tail end of '06 I picked up this Igloo BBQ (Igloo, honest!) at Walmart on clearance for $130. Best BBQ bang for the buck I ever got. Heats fast, cooks great, has never failed us..

Dave Lehnert
05-31-2017, 9:30 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hibachi-- everyone had one in the 70's!

As for big & gomless, at the tail end of '06 I picked up this Igloo BBQ (Igloo, honest!) at Walmart on clearance for $130. Best BBQ bang for the buck I ever got. Heats fast, cooks great, has never failed us..

I looked for a Hibachi grill last year like we had back in the 70's but reviews were very bad.
I ended up with this Sportsman grill made by Lodge. Perfect for two and not so much charcoal needed. Walmart had them last year for $89.
https://ll-us-i5.wal.co/asr/068cb5c2-1602-4c4e-bdf5-3dbf14bc39a4_1.018be87da49b5433be8c54be160dd1b4.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF