PDA

View Full Version : Langdon Miter Box and Rodgers Miter Trimmer

John Edwards
10-22-2005, 9:39 PM
Ok folks I am gonna try and post some pictures of a couple tools that have been recently restored. Let`s see if this works.

Attached are pic`s of a Langdon miter box complete with Langdon saw.

Also an 1885 Rogers Miter Trimmer. You can see on the trimmer how the "turret" moves to the various angles. There are pre sets at the common angles plus lockdowns for anything in between. The plane has two 4" wide blades which are skewed left and right. It rides along the carriage thus cutting both a left or right miter. In the pictures the blades have not been installed in the plane nor the lockdown hardware. Which was part of the stash that came back from the plater

John Miliunas
10-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey John, nice restores! OK, now I know what a miter saw looks like and how it operates, but that trimmer is a new one on me! Looks pretty neat. How accurate is something like that? Looks like a "mechanical" version of what many of us use shooting boards for. Same principle, I assume?:) :cool:

Roger Bell
10-23-2005, 11:51 AM
The Rodgers trimmer is an exquisite piece of tooling. Very nice restortion.

John Edwards
10-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks for compliments guys.
If it wasnt for John I`d still be trying to figure out how to post pictures, Thanks again John.
Indeed it works like a shooting board. With the obvious of a turrent and the plane riding on a carriage. Now the turrent has preset stops at the common angles. But there are arms (the black pieces on the turrent face) that can be use to fine tune any angle for might want. In addition the carriage that the plane rides on is also adjustable for square. All in all a pretty neat way of cutting miters.
Need to install the plated hardware and then mount the beast on a platform of sorts. Have some butternut that I think will get used.
Thanks again. Just wanted to share something different.