PDA

View Full Version : Elusive song title

Brent Cutshall
05-23-2017, 9:56 AM
I heard a part of a song on the radio, and I can't find out what it was! It's driving me crazy! I'm about to chew the legs off of my chairs(which I would probably delight in replacing later we've all woodworkers here). I decided to come here for help. It's a sort of slow song by a guy. It sounds like he says "I look around for a moment, and she...something...something." That's all I think I know. It's about to kill me. Any help will be appreciated :D.

Jon Nuckles
05-23-2017, 11:02 AM
I googled the lyrics you quoted and didn't find any exact matches, but lots that bear some resemblance. Maybe you would recognize what you heard if you looked at the google results and listened to the ones that appear close. Failing that, what genre of music does your radio station play? That might help narrow it down.

Brent Cutshall
05-23-2017, 11:32 AM
I think it's classic rock.

Steve Eure
05-23-2017, 11:33 AM
Sounds almost like "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas. "I look around for a moment and the moments gone. It slips away, and all your money not another moment buy" Dust in the wind. All we are is dust in the wind". etc.

John K Jordan
05-23-2017, 1:33 PM
I heard a part of a song on the radio, and I can't find out what it was! It's driving me crazy! I'm about to chew the legs off of my chairs(which I would probably delight in replacing later we've all woodworkers here). I decided to come here for help. It's a sort of slow song by a guy. It sounds like he says "I look around for a moment, and she...something...something." That's all I think I know. It's about to kill me. Any help will be appreciated :D.

Can you remember the tune? I have a app on my Android phone called SoundHound that lets you sing, whistle, or hum a tune and it will attempt to find it. I used it last to identify the unknown song on a music box movement. I suspect there is something equivalent on-line.

JKJ

Stan Calow
05-23-2017, 2:59 PM
there are websites that will search for songs from a snatch of lyrics, without requiring an app download. I think songlyrics.com or songsearch.com are two.

Prashun Patel
05-23-2017, 3:09 PM
Or you could use the SAWzam app:

Record yourself humming as much of the song as you know.
Post it here on SMC
Let us try to collectively figure it out ;)

Brent Cutshall
05-23-2017, 3:42 PM
Can you remember the tune? I have a app on my Android phone called SoundHound that lets you sing, whistle, or hum a tune and it will attempt to find it. I used it last to identify the unknown song on a music box movement. I suspect there is something equivalent on-line.

JKJ
It was played on a piano. I might get that app and see if it'll work.

Brent Cutshall
05-23-2017, 4:41 PM
I GOT IT!! It's 100 Years by Five For Fighting. OOHHHOHOHO YES! I don't know why I am so fascinated with this song, I swing more to classical music(I'm not rich, not even close). People always associate classical music with rich people. But, there it is, 100 Years. I'm fine now. Those chair legs are still in danger though. Thanks all!

John Stankus
05-23-2017, 5:37 PM
Calling something that came out in 2004 classic rock is a bit....problematic for me :)

A few years ago, some student left their calculator in one of my classes. I sent a note to all my students, that if they could come by my office and identify the calculator they can claim it. One of my students came by, looked at the calculator (which the original owner had written "METALLICA" on the back), and said " No that is not my calculator, but I do like classic rock" .... Man that hurt. I told her, it can't be classic rock since I remember when they were the hot new thing (82-83 ish). One of the many times I have realized that I am old relative to the college freshmen I teach. :eek:

John

Greg R Bradley
05-23-2017, 6:17 PM
2004 is 20 years too late for 90% of classic rock and 15 years too late for 99% of it.

Brent Cutshall
05-23-2017, 8:14 PM
I wasn't saying that this was classic rock, I honestly didn't know what this was. No, I'm saying I like Bach and Haydn kind of classical. I honestly don't know what to classify as classic rock, but if I had to guess I'd say what Mr. Bradley said. As an artist/craftsman, I appreciate any form of praiseworthy "art", which includes music. Most genres of music appeal to me as long as it's worth something, I about can't stand a song that don't mean nothing. Bob Seger, now he could tell a story when he sang. But, out of all the genres of music, I think classical is my favorite. On a side note, this post may sound sparse because it took me thirty minutes to write it. Sorry, Jeremiah Johnson was on and I was preoccupied.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-23-2017, 8:28 PM
Good song. Five for Fighting has several popular songs you'll probably recognize. You might like Lukas Graham's "7 Years" song. It is similar with a piano and a theme of aging through the years.

I saw a quote a while ago ...

In just a few years 1990 will be 30 years ago. When I think "30 years ago," I still think 1970.

Wade Lippman
05-24-2017, 8:42 AM
30 years ago my wife and I were driven crazy by the lyrics to the song from Mad Max beyond the Thunderdome. What were they? We called all the radio stations hoping someone would know, but they didn't. Now you just google it and you got it.

Isn't modern life wonderful? So what about North Korea, global warming, and terrorism. I am not sure what I am getting at....

Pat Barry
05-24-2017, 1:10 PM
I GOT IT!! It's 100 Years by Five For Fighting. OOHHHOHOHO YES! I don't know why I am so fascinated with this song, I swing more to classical music(I'm not rich, not even close). People always associate classical music with rich people. But, there it is, 100 Years. I'm fine now. Those chair legs are still in danger though. Thanks all!
in 100 years that might be considered classical but not today :)

Prashun Patel
05-24-2017, 1:27 PM
That's a wonderful song. He really got the stages right...

I'm twenty two for a moment
She feels better than ever
And we're on fire
Making our way back from Mars
I'm thirty three for a moment
Still the man, but you see I'm of age
A kid on the way
A family on my mind
I'm forty five for a moment
The sea is high
And I'm heading into a crisis
Chasing the years of my life

Bill Jobe
05-25-2017, 3:20 PM
In a similar vein but there's a song from the 60s that I always liked. As I was reading up in Brian Wilson I learned that he became obsessed with it. From then in he used Phil Spector's "wall of sound" technic. The Spector song was recorded by (I think), The Ronettes "Be My Baby". He'd listen to it for hours every day, to the point that when the Beach Boys were in the studio recording, Brian would be in the control room listening to Be My Baby. They had to use a studio musician to play bass.
Wilson us a fascinating person. Some time where you're bored check him out. Highly intelligent beyond his ability to cope with.

Bill Jobe
05-25-2017, 3:23 PM
Sorry, OP,

Edwin Santos
05-25-2017, 4:06 PM
In a similar vein but there's a song from the 60s that I always liked. As I was reading up in Brian Wilson I learned that he became obsessed with it. From then in he used Phil Spector's "wall of sound" technic. The Spector song was recorded by (I think), The Ronettes "Be My Baby". He'd listen to it for hours every day, to the point that when the Beach Boys were in the studio recording, Brian would be in the control room listening to Be My Baby. They had to use a studio musician to play bass.
Wilson us a fascinating person. Some time where you're bored check him out. Highly intelligent beyond his ability to cope with.

I read once that the sheer genius of the Beatles' music (which Brian Wilson was gifted enough to fully comprehend at the time) drove him to a nervous breakdown. Don't know if it's true, but it's quite a notion.

Justin Ludwig
05-28-2017, 7:43 AM
I read once that the sheer genius of the Beatles' music (which Brian Wilson was gifted enough to fully comprehend at the time) drove him to a nervous breakdown. Don't know if it's true, but it's quite a notion.
According to the movie about Brian Wilson, he was obsessed with the Sgt. Peppers... album and it was the driving force behind his creation of the Pet Sounds. Love & Mercy is the movie. I enjoyed it.

Bill Jobe
05-28-2017, 10:22 AM
He also wrote songs that the Beatles recorded. Let it be was one major influence.
When asked if he idolized the artists he focused on he simply replied "No, but he/they are interesting". Phil Spector being one.
I've tried to get a clear picture of his panic attack on the plane, but have found accounts vary. One pointed to his use of LSD.
I find it interesting that John Lennon was not a person of interest to him....just Paul and George.

The more I read about him the more fascinating he becomes to me.

Again, my apologies to OP.

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2017, 2:20 PM
According to the movie about Brian Wilson, he was obsessed with the Sgt. Peppers... album and it was the driving force behind his creation of the Pet Sounds. Love & Mercy is the movie. I enjoyed it.Huh? That's a bit of a trick seeing as how 'Pet Sounds' came out a year before 'Sgt. Pepper'...

Justin Ludwig
05-29-2017, 10:19 PM
You are correct. I must have mixed up my titles. I'm not gonna watch the whole movie again to see what album he was obsessed with.

Kev Williams
05-30-2017, 8:16 PM
In front of me is my December 11, 2003 issue of Rolling Stone's 'special collectors issue' The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time...

#1-- The Beatles Sgt Peppers, released 1967...

#2-- The Beach Boys Pet Sounds, released 1966...

Some excerpts in case anyone cares ;)

Barking dogs, Wilson's dog Banana among them, are prominent among the found sounds on the album.
The Beatles made a point of echoing them on Sgt. Peppers- an acknowledgement that Pet Sounds was the inspiration for the Beatle's masterpiece.
That gesture actually completed a circle of influence: Wilson initially conceived of Pet Sounds as an effort to top Rubber Soul.

Edwin Santos
05-31-2017, 2:44 PM
Huh? That's a bit of a trick seeing as how 'Pet Sounds' came out a year before 'Sgt. Pepper'...

I think it was Rubber Soul that influenced him to record Pet Sounds. It came out the year before Pet Sounds. Rubber Soul is regarded as the Beatles first big step toward increased studio experimentation. They took it further with Revolver, then hit a crescendo with Sgt Pepper's, although if you ask me, Abbey Road is no slouch in terms of studio experimentation. I'm sure they must have gotten some inspiration in return from Pet Sounds. I've heard Paul McCartney quoted as saying Wouldn't it Be Nice is one of his favorite songs of all time.

I've always heard the Beatles were big fans and admirers of the Beach Boys. I think one of the Beach Boys, Mike Love I think, went to India with the Beatles when they were there with the Maharishi. They wrote a lot of the music for the White Album in India, and if you listen to Back in the USSR, parts of it are an obvious homage to the Beach Boys ("Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out, they leave the West behind....).