View Full Version : Jim's Inspiration

Glenn Hodges
10-22-2005, 4:57 PM
Thanks to Jim, I am trying my hand at making some confetti lamps. I was given a wild plum tree and made this one which is 4.5 inches wide at the base and 4 inches high, it is finished with spray lacquer. The shape is very ordinary and the only reason I am sending these pictures is to let those of you know what lies inside of those wild plum trees. These 2 pictures show both sides of the piece. One side shows where I filled a big void with coffee grounds and thin CA glue. Now that I look at it with a more judgmental eye, I believe I will leave the foot off the next one. As always your comments are welcomed.

Dick Parr
10-22-2005, 9:51 PM
Very nice Glenn. Like you, since Jim posted all his I have also been looking for some lamps to try my hand at them.

Jim Ketron
10-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Nice Job Glenn!
Beautiful wood:eek: lots of character in that Piece!

Chris Barton
10-23-2005, 7:30 AM
Wow! Nice color and form. Considering how popular they have been for Jim I may have to try some of these also.

Michael Stafford
10-23-2005, 7:34 AM
Very cool, Glenn! I am always amazed at the variety of shapes that people are able to come up with for something as simple as a confetti lamp particularly on a tool that just goes round and round. Is there any wonder why we like the lathe so much. It lends itself to individual creativity so much more than almost any other tool. These lamps are a distinctly different and pleasing form, Glenn. Nice job!:D

Ernie Nyvall
10-23-2005, 7:57 AM
Nice one Glenn. I agree about the foot. I too just got a huge wild plum that Rita took out in the neighbors yard. Root ball and all.

Ernie

Ed Scolforo
10-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Glenn: That plum has some beautiful color in it! I also think it would look nicer with the foot off. Thanks for sharing. Ed

Keith Burns
10-23-2005, 5:18 PM
Man, talk about a colorful piece of wood. Great job !

John Hart
10-24-2005, 7:50 AM
That is Plum beautiful Glenn! :D I decided last night that I'm going to jump into the confetti lamp circle as well. They're pretty cool indeed!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-24-2005, 8:04 AM
That is a wonderful looking peice of wood! The color changes are great!!

Mark Cothren
10-24-2005, 8:47 AM
Hey Glenn, very nice!