PDA

View Full Version : More Wands

Dick Parr
10-22-2005, 4:36 PM
I turned a few more wands today and with the guidance of Big Mike, I did my first ebonizing. Turned Oak dark and Walnut black

Thanks for looking.

Doug Jones
10-22-2005, 4:42 PM
Dick,, glad to see some stuff from you. I know you were under the weather for awhile. So its good to see ya back at the lathe again.

Your wands look great, any chance you write up a detailed how to for some of us beginners?

Glenn Hodges
10-22-2005, 5:01 PM
Dick, I probably need to do some of these because I need some majic in my shop, nice job.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-22-2005, 6:26 PM
Alicazam one.......................Alacazam two..........................Alacazam three ................................Poof.

WOW......................................They Work! Look good, too.

Bruce

Jim Ketron
10-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Nice wands Dick!
You are the Harry Potter master!

Michael Stafford
10-23-2005, 5:55 AM
Cool, Dick!!! The walnut and oak look as dark as ebony or wenge don't they?

You are the man when it comes to wands. I have to agree with Glenn, I may need to make a whole bunch of these to bring the magic back....:D

Way to go, Dick, looking good!

Chris Barton
10-23-2005, 7:28 AM
Hi Dick,

The wands looks nice and I like the contrasting colors. Great job!

Ernie Nyvall
10-23-2005, 8:07 AM
Magically delicious.

Hey Dick, what are the deminsions on the wands. I have some Harry Potter fans around here too who I think will get one for Christmas.

Ernie

Keith Burns
10-23-2005, 5:12 PM
As always you do some great work! I always enjoy seeing your turnings. How did you do the ebonizing ?

Dick Parr
10-23-2005, 5:23 PM
Thanks everyone, they are fun to make.

Ernie,

Most of the wands I make I start out with a 6" pen blank and a 12" piece of 3/8" dowel. Drill a 3/8" hole in the end of the pen blank about 1/2"-3/4" deep and then turn it round and make it whatever shape you want and then sand and finish, usually Mylands Friction Polish.. Next I take the dowel and put it on the lathe to sand and finish, usually Mylands. Take some CA glue and put a little in the end of the handle and push the dowel in.

The one I did today below I started with a piece of 1-1/8" padduc (?) and drilled a 1/2" hole and used a 1/2" oak dowel. I wanted a little different shape so I started bigger and turned it down to 3/8" by the time I got to the end.

I have started with one piece of wood to make the whole wand with but they are much harder and take longer to make. I guess if I was good with a skew it would make it easier to do.

Have fun

Doug Jones
10-23-2005, 7:45 PM
Most of the wands I make I start out with a 6" pen blank and a 12" piece of 3/8" dowel. Drill a 3/8" hole in the end of the pen blank about 1/2"-3/4" deep and then turn it round and make it whatever shape you want and then sand and finish, usually Mylands Friction Polish.. Next I take the dowel and put it on the lathe to sand and finish, usually Mylands. Take some CA glue and put a little in the end of the handle and push the dowel in.

Have fun
Thanks for the right up Dick,,
I believe I will give these a try here soon.