PDA

View Full Version : VHS to digital.

Dave Lehnert
05-20-2017, 8:49 PM
I have a lot of home movies recorded on VHS. I would like to transfer them to digital. Not too concerned transferring the to DVD because that seems outdated to today standards but may want to so I can share with other family members.

What have you used and recommend?
Not looking for anything fancy. Just get the job done,

Wade Lippman
05-20-2017, 9:12 PM
I had a bunch transferred to CDs about 10 years ago. It wasn't expensive.

Mike Henderson
05-20-2017, 10:15 PM
Note, however, that VHS quality is not very good by today's standards.

Mike

Stan Calow
05-20-2017, 10:47 PM
I used to have a dual system recorder - VHS on one side DVD on the other. Copied a lot of VHS to DVDs on that. That was about 12 years ago. There may be some of those still out there in used electronics forums. But I think you can hook up a VHS player directly to a DVD recorder and do it that way, if you have both.

Bruce Page
05-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Note, however, that VHS quality is not very good by today's standards.

Mike

I had several VHS tapes converted when the DVD players took over. I don't want to toss them, but I can't bear watching the horrible video quality either. High-def has spoiled me.

Brian Henderson
05-21-2017, 2:32 AM
I've got this box that I bought years ago that will rip DVDs and video tapes to your computer. I just checked and you can still get it on Amazon. No clue how it works on modern computers, but it might be an option.

https://www.amazon.com/ADS-Tech-DVD-Express-USBAV-701/dp/B00009YUPS

Curt Harms
05-21-2017, 7:32 AM
I had several VHS tapes converted when the DVD players took over. I don't want to toss them, but I can't bear watching the horrible video quality either. High-def has spoiled me.

I'm certainly no A/V expert but have read that what display you watch on makes a difference. VHS is supposed to look better on CRT TVs than on LCD displays. Maybe display size/non-HD enters into it? I have no idea. Of course CRT based TVs are not exactly common these days.

Matt Meiser
05-21-2017, 8:51 AM
Even our small city has company that offers this service--they advertise on Craigslist and Facebook. It doesn't sound very expensive either.

mike holden
05-21-2017, 4:57 PM
Our library has the computer input device that connects a VHS player with the computer to loan out. Includes the software.

Grant Wilkinson
05-21-2017, 5:48 PM
I bought the Diamond VC500 a couple of weeks ago, after looking at reviews of several units. This one is excellent, and the software that comes with it is very good. It plugs into the VCR outputs and into a USB port on my PC. Recording is very simple and if you like, it has built in burning software to burn DVD's.