PDA

View Full Version : Keyless ignitions

Stephen Tashiro
05-20-2017, 8:27 PM
If a car has a keyless ignition, must you be sitting in the drivers seat to start the car?

I hope never to own a car with a keyless ignition, but some rental cars have keyless ignitions so I may have to deal with that feature. If I am inside my house with my non-keyless electronic keys in my cluttered pocket, sometimes the keys lock or unlock the car while it is sitting outside in the driveway due to things in my pocket touching the keys. Could the device for a keyless ignition start the car by a similar accident?

Mac McQuinn
05-20-2017, 8:40 PM
Are you referring to remote start? I have a new Subaru and have keyless start although no remote start. I have to step on brake while touching start button so yes, I have to be in car to start and need proximity fob on me.
Mac

Jim Becker
05-20-2017, 8:42 PM
Unless you have remote start, the keyless ignition system requires that the fob be within a certain close distance for it to work. And remote start generally requires multiple presses of the correct button within a defined short time period.

I personally wouldn't go back to a vehicle without keyless ignition!

Chris Parks
05-20-2017, 8:43 PM
No, it can't happen.

Wade Lippman
05-20-2017, 9:13 PM
My Mazda requires the key to be in the car.

Bruce Page
05-20-2017, 9:34 PM
My wife's Infiniti requires the key to be within a couple of feet of the ignition, i.e. in her purse on the passenger seat or floor. Same with the door locks - need to be close for them to work.

Lee Schierer
05-20-2017, 9:39 PM
The car will not start unless you have the brake pedal depressed.

John K Jordan
05-20-2017, 9:43 PM
...And remote start generally requires multiple presses of the correct button within a defined short time period.

On my Cherokee the remote start works from a distance, of course, but once I get in the car with the electronic fob I have to press the start button manually before proceeding even though the engine is running.

We accidentally found out my wife's Murano can be started and driven with the key in the very back of the car, as far as possible from the driver's seat. I wondered if this was because of a separate sensor at the rear of the vehicle to allow unlocking/locking and operating the hatch from outside.

JKJ

Greg R Bradley
05-20-2017, 9:59 PM
Keyless ignition has advantages and disadvantages. I might have preferred a key with my latest truck but it came with other electronics that I really wanted like integration with my iPhone for handsfree texting, etc. It totally pisses me off that I can't start it by reaching in the car and starting it while I proceed to load and unload it for the day's use. You have to be sitting it the driver's seat and hit the brake while you push "start" while having the key in your pocket. OR you can press two keys to start it remote, which then requires a sequence once you are sitting in the drivers seat.
They have clearly designed certain "safeties" into the system as it wont unlock the door unless I'm standing directly in front of a front door when I reach for the handle. Since I normally unload and then load stuff in the back door this really irritates me.
I love how I can start it from inside the house and get the A/C going to cool it down while I'm unloading and loading but then WHY do I have to go through a procedure to be able to drive off on a car that is already running ??????
The lawyers must have gotten involved in this.......

George Bokros
05-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Its to make the car harder to steal

John Ziebron
05-20-2017, 11:03 PM
My 2015 Honda minivan has keyless ignition. The FOB must be withing a certain distance and you must depress the brake pedal to start the engine. If the vehicle is locked you can open either of the 4 doors or the rear hatch as long as the FOB is with you. My 2012 minivan required a key to start the engine but you still had to depress the brake pedal. I was thinking that was becoming a safety feature on most vehicles.

Rich Engelhardt
05-21-2017, 6:28 AM
I misplaced the "key" part of my keyless ignition fob.

I'm looking at a $300 charge when I turn in the leased car unless the stupid thing surfaces.

For that reason alone, I'd never have one again.(keyless)

Other than that, I really enjoyed the thing.

Anyhow - -yeah, the brake pedal has to be depressed so you pretty much have to be seated in the driver's seat.

Barry McFadden
05-21-2017, 7:18 AM
My son's car has keyless ignition. I much prefer the key to be in the ignition so I know where it is as I'm always looking for someplace to put in when I'm driving. Here's something maybe one of you can answer..... the other day my wife took the car to pick up her mother. She came back to the house to get me to take them somewhere and drop them off...so I started driving from when we left our house. I dropped them off and as I was about to drive away I remembered she had the key in her pocket. My question is....if I had driven away would the car stop running after a certain distance because I didn't have the key? ...or... if it kept running and I stopped somewhere on the way home and turned it off I guess I would have no way of starting it again without the key....

Matt Meiser
05-21-2017, 9:04 AM
My 2017 Ford you need the "key" on you but really never need to use it unless you want to remote start or unlock/lock/pop the trunk when you aren't at the vehicle. If you have the key on you, when you reach into the door handle it unlocks the doors. There's a spot you can touch on each exterior handle to lock the doors. And there's a release button on the trunk lid where you'd naturally grab to lift it open anyway. All only work if you have the key on you and are right there--won't even work for example if my wife or daughter get there first. Also won't work if I'm inside the car with the key, doors locked, and someone approaches from the outside.

Starting, key must be in the car (even the trunk works, because I've had it in a bag with workout clothes) and the brake pedal depressed to start, but if the pedal isn't depressed it will power everything up, kind of like just turning the key to "On". Once running, if the key leaves the vehicle it can't be driven but will stay running. And if it was remote started, you must still press the brake pedal and start button to be able to drive.

It all works out well and is very natural with the exception that you can't grab the door handle and yank, you must give it a split second to unlock. You could almost replace the fob with an RFID card for your wallet. The main issue with that would be that you wouldn't have the emergency key that is used to unlock the door in the event of a dead battery or failure of the electronics.

Jim Becker
05-21-2017, 9:47 AM
On my Cherokee the remote start works from a distance, of course, but once I get in the car with the electronic fob I have to press the start button manually before proceeding even though the engine is running.

Yes, this is a normal security feature that insures someone can't break into a vehicle that was remote started and just drive off. The engine may be running, but the car isn't "on" and ready to drive until the "start" button is depressed with the key in proximity. I like how Jeep's version works. I'm not so happy with how the Subaru remote start version kills the engine when you open the door so you have to restart it fully.

Michael Dye
05-21-2017, 10:39 AM
What, exactly, is the purpose of a keyless ignition switch? Like texting, I'm guessing it has something to do with our inherent laziness. A good friend bought a new minivan (the make and model I don't remember) and one day, after loading the kids up for a trip to some amusement park in another state, his wife somehow managed to drop her entire keyring close enough to the car that she was able to get in, start the car, and drive away. Fast forward to the required potty stop a couple hours away. Shuts the car off, feeds the troops, and in the process of leaving, discovers the missing keyring. Now, she's 150 miles from home, the car won't start, the kids are pissed, and the hubby has to bring his key fob to her just so she can get home. Not a good weekend, overall. Screw those keyless ignitions.

Kurt Kintner
05-21-2017, 11:04 AM
I really don't like it.. All my life, I've parked my truck in a secure garage, and left the key in the ignition....
I don't carry a key ring.... When I drive the Murano, I have to remember to get the fob off the hook....
Most times I forget, get in the car and have to go back in the house to get it.... You can't leave it in the car
because it screams at you to remove it ... I've dropped my wife off many times, then realized half way home,
she has the key.... It's ok if I go home without stopping and shutting off the engine...

Rich Engelhardt
05-21-2017, 12:58 PM
What, exactly, is the purpose of a keyless ignition switch?Like George mentioned above - it's main purpose is to help prevent theft.
One other good thing is that there isn't this massive key chain hanging from the steering column. That's extremely hard on the mechanics of the lock.

I'll have to try the drive-away-and-leave-the-keys thing with my Toyota. I have a feeling it's too "smart" to start and continue running without the keys inside or in close proximity.

I know if you try to lock the fob inside, it makes all kinds of noise to let you know the keys are in the vehicle.

Frederick Skelly
05-21-2017, 2:49 PM
The lawyers must have gotten involved in this.......

Hi Glenn,
Sure they did. Liability is a huge concern when nearly anyone can drive a car.

But Glenn, sometimes the state of California's standards (or the US govt's) for this or that drive how items are designed. There could be some of that here too. Please dont get me wrong here - not trying to be judgemental, political or saying it's good vs bad. Only that sometimes well-intended "do gooders" cause this too.

Fred

Matt Meiser
05-21-2017, 5:51 PM
Mine knows if the keys are inside or out. To lock the keys in the car requires pessimism g a combination of buttons on the keypad. And leaving them in for long periods is not good as the car doesn't fall as far to sleep when the key is present.

Ive seen all manner of issues with mechanical ignition too, from jammed mechanisms to broken keys to failed switch contacts. You could just as easily get stranded at a rest area with a mechanical switch.

Jim Becker
05-21-2017, 8:27 PM
If I'm awake, my keys are attached to a belt loop and I'm not worried about losing them and driving off without them. :) But yes, for some folks that might be an issue.

John K Jordan
05-21-2017, 9:20 PM
One other good thing is that there isn't this massive key chain hanging from the steering column. That's extremely hard on the mechanics of the lock.

Back in the 70s I learned my lesson about that - I set the car on fire with a comedy of errors.

My Fiat 128 ignition switch wore out due to my massive key ring, actually two rings wired together with a loop of soft wire. It got so the key would not turn the switch. I removed the plastic cover under the steering wheel to examine it and discovered if I beat on the side of the switch housing with a wrench while turning the key I could get it to work. I left the plastic cover off and used the car like this for a year or so.

One day while driving on the busy interstate through Knoxville the mass of keys swung into the exposed wiring under the switch. This sent the battery voltage through the keys and through the loop of thin wire holding the two parts together. The wire lit up like a light bulb filament and burned in two, dropping half the keys and the glowing wire onto the floor. At that time my habit was to clean out the car every six months whether it needed it or not. The hot wire dropped onto some paper junk on the floor and started a fire. There I was, driving on the interstate and trying to avoid causing an accident while frantically stomping out the fire with my right foot.

I learned several valuable lessons. One, don't put all the keys on one ring. Two, clean out the car on occasion. And three, always wear shoes while driving!

These days I have a number of key rings in my shop, each very light weight - for the tractor, the big truck, the little truck, the big mower, the bobcat, the jeep, the other jeep, etc.

I always meant to send this story to Car Talk but I waited too long.

JKJ

Lee Schierer
05-22-2017, 11:51 AM
One disadvantage of the key less ignition system is if you are traveling with another person that also has a key for that car and you decide to leave the key in a jacket or purse in the trunk, the system won't let you lock the car. I know this is true for all cars, but it is true with our Honda Accord.

Matt Meiser
05-22-2017, 3:29 PM
Like I said, mine won't let you accidentally lock the car. But you can force it by pressing a key combination on the keypad. I suspect it will let you use a fob too, since it would obviously know there's a fob outside the car. I'll have to try when my wife gets home.

Eric Keller
05-25-2017, 9:55 PM
all of the keyless ignitions now in use are vulnerable to hijacking. Oh, well, I really like it. I have dropped my wife off at work, realized I needed something at home, and driven the toyota home without a key. It complains though. I have heard that some cars will stop working if they are too far away from the key. That doesn't seem like a good idea.

I have a huge keychain for work. I don't want to carry it around just to have my car key. I have fewer problems with car keys than I used to have.

Doug Garson
05-25-2017, 10:48 PM
What, exactly, is the purpose of a keyless ignition switch? Like texting, I'm guessing it has something to do with our inherent laziness. A good friend bought a new minivan (the make and model I don't remember) and one day, after loading the kids up for a trip to some amusement park in another state, his wife somehow managed to drop her entire keyring close enough to the car that she was able to get in, start the car, and drive away. Fast forward to the required potty stop a couple hours away. Shuts the car off, feeds the troops, and in the process of leaving, discovers the missing keyring. Now, she's 150 miles from home, the car won't start, the kids are pissed, and the hubby has to bring his key fob to her just so she can get home. Not a good weekend, overall. Screw those keyless ignitions.
Same thing could have happened with a keyed ignition. She got to the park, spent the whole day there with the kids , gets back to the van and finds she lost the keys sometime during the 4 hours at the park. With keyless ignition you get in the habit of having the key with you in pocket or purse and there is no need to take it out so little chance of losing it. Bottom line keyless entry and ignition are more convenient than traditional keyed systems but nothing is foolproof.

roger wiegand
05-26-2017, 8:29 AM
My car won't start unless the clutch is depressed. Hard to do without being in the car. Plus there is no "start" button on the key fob, you'd have to be far enough in the car to press the button on the dash, on the far side of the steering wheel. You'd have to be a contortionist to try to start it without sitting down in the driver's seat.

roger wiegand
05-26-2017, 8:34 AM
What, exactly, is the purpose of a keyless ignition switch? Like texting, I'm guessing it has something to do with our inherent laziness.

Or hating having a bunch of keys dandling down against you leg as you drive. Or not wanting to carry a long poky thing in your pocket, making holes in the bottoms of your pockets. Not a necessity certainly, but a welcome option. On my car anyway you have the option of sticking the key fob into a slot on the dash, if you prefer the more traditional mode of operation.

Prashun Patel
05-26-2017, 8:58 AM
I like my keyless ignition.

The only stress is when I leave the car at any kind of valet. Gotta remember to leave the keys in the cup holder then. I once got a call when I was in airport security that my car at the parking garage was blocking traffic because they didn't have my key which was still in my pocket :(

Mike Henderson
05-26-2017, 1:23 PM
I love my keyless ignition. It also allows me to unlock the doors just by pressing a button on the handle. Some other cars - you don't even have to do that. Just pull on the handle and the system recognizes that the fob is in range and it has exchanged credentials.

I'd never go back to a regular key. I want the same thing on my house. Just walk up to the door and it unlocks for me because I have a fob in my pocket. On the house, I don't like the present systems that require batteries. Those also take a key and, like I do today, I have a key in a "vault" attached to my house in a place where it's not obvious (that's in case I lose my key).

Mike

Scott Donley
05-26-2017, 2:24 PM
I have a key in a "vault" attached to my house in a place where it's not obvious (that's in case I lose my key).

MikeI also have a "vault" on the side of my house put there about 25 years ago. Problem is , I no longer remember the combo to get in (:

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2017, 2:39 PM
What, exactly, is the purpose of a keyless ignition switch?Biggest single reason would be theft-prevention: several orders-of-magnitude more possible "key" codes.

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2017, 2:53 PM
One disadvantage of the key less ignition system is if you are traveling with another person that also has a key for that car and you decide to leave the key in a jacket or purse in the trunk, the system won't let you lock the car. I know this is true for all cars, but it is true with our Honda Accord.Not a problem: https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Pocket-GUARD-Protector-Wireless/dp/B01MTNKVO4
(That's the first one I found just now, but as I recall the one I use was only $7-$8.)

I like how, with a bit of fiddling, the Honda setup lets you give the fob to a valet without giving them access to the trunk or glove box...I just wish the console also had a lock.

Todd Mason-Darnell
05-29-2017, 5:58 PM

I'm looking at a $300 charge when I turn in the leased car unless the stupid thing surfaces.

Anyhow - -yeah, the brake pedal has to be depressed so you pretty much have to be seated in the driver's seat.

Do you have the 5 or 6 digit code? If you do, you can get a replacement for about $50.

Usually the code is on a metal tag that is attached to one of the FOBs.

Rich Engelhardt
05-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Do you have the 5 or 6 digit code? If you do, you can get a replacement for about $50.Yes - - I have it , but, it's a leased vehicle & I was pre-warned that if I lost the fob or the key part, it would cost me $300 :(..

Mike Henderson
05-30-2017, 12:17 PM
I also have a "vault" on the side of my house put there about 25 years ago. Problem is , I no longer remember the combo to get in (:

You forgot to write the combination on the wall next to the "vault" in case you forgot it.:)

Mike

Mike Henderson
05-30-2017, 12:20 PM

I have two fobs for my Mazda. I lost the key on one of them - but I had a duplicate on the other fob. Mazda charged me $70 to make a replacement. I thought that was expensive but the key had to fit into the fob and no one else made one.

Mike

Mark Rainey
05-30-2017, 1:08 PM
Keyless ignition for me has been a nightmare. Pulled up to gas station, turned motor off, but did not put car in park, and car rolled across highway. Could have killed someone. I know, put the car in park knucklehead, but if I had a key i could not pull it when not in park, but I am able to turn off motor with keyless push button. So very easy to leave car running when quiet engine runs in park. If you leave the car running in garage it can cause carbon monoxide death especially if bedroom over garage. Google search reveals many problems. I hate it - and the cost of replacement fobs is crazy! Mark

Michael Dye
05-30-2017, 3:40 PM
Here's a different twist. My wife works for a group of doctors, one who has a brand new Tesla, his third since Tesla began producing cars. This car is incredible, right down to knowing when the good doctor is getting close to the car and energizing itself. Now, his wife doesn't like the car, instead choosing to drive a more "civilized" BMW. The Tesla was in the shop for some updates, and the doctor had to borrow the wife's Beemer. Upon returning, he closed the garage door, got out of the car, and proceeded to go about his daily work. Luckily, several hours later, he was shocked to have the alarm company calling him to report high carbon monoxide levels in the house. Lo and behold, he had gotten out of the BMW and, following his normal Tesla habits, walked away. He never turned the ignition off. Could have killed his entire family. That hi-tech alarm system paid for itself that day.

Matt Meiser
05-30-2017, 9:08 PM
Geez...my Ford shifts itself into park if I open the drivers door and shuts itself off after a certain amount of time to prevent both of those issues.

Eric Keller
05-30-2017, 11:05 PM
apparently, with the Tesla you can lock your keys in your car.
But if you have the app on your phone, you can unlock it from anywhere in the world. Of course, if your car doesn't have cell coverage you are outta luck

George Bokros
05-31-2017, 7:49 AM
Geez...my Ford shifts itself into park if I open the drivers door and shuts itself off after a certain amount of time to prevent both of those issues.

My Ford Fusion tells me if it is not in park if I shut the motor off and open the drivers door. It also honks the horn twice if I close the drivers door with the motor running.

Matt Meiser
05-31-2017, 8:32 AM
Mine is also a Fusion, a 2017 so it has the rotary shifter.

Steve Peterson
06-05-2017, 2:01 PM
My wife has keyless ignition and I think it is awesome. You don't have to fumble around for the key to get in and start the car. My car has a gigantic alarm fob with a mechanical key poking out. Most of my pants have worn holes near the pocket from the key sticking out. The alarm fob on my wife's car is the same size, but doesn't need the mechanical key sticking out. It is hidden inside the fob for emergencies.

I keep separate key chains for each car with just a house key and car key on each. Otherwise, I would have to start carrying around a suitcase size purse like my wife uses. She keeps all the car keys together.

Steve