PDA

View Full Version : Turning book

Lou Morrissette
10-22-2005, 1:45 PM
Although I'm not a turner, I have to buy a turning book for a friend who has been turning for about 9 months. He likes to do stuff like christmas ornaments and household things like pepper mills, etc. What would you recommend for a good how-to book for this type of turning?

tia

Lou

John Shuk
10-22-2005, 7:51 PM
Lou,
For a book I have Phil Irons book "Woodturning Two Books in One" I like the projects in it. I however don't think turning lends itself to books that much. For good reading material I'd get him a membership to the AAW and it comes with a magazine subscription, American Woodturner that is very informative. Otherwise I think a DVD is a great ides as well. For bowl turning I have to say Bill Grumbine's video is about the best I can think of.

Chris Barton
10-22-2005, 8:47 PM
Another book suggestion would be "Turning Projects" by Richard Raffan. He is the wizzard of the skew and the book is excellent. another option would be either a video tape (I suggest the classic "Bowl Turning" with Del Stubbs, easily 30 years old but a great tape) or a DVD such as "Lathe" that is part of the Jet Shopclass Series and features Nick Cook.