PDA

View Full Version : Loving my new Shark Guard!!

Jason White
05-19-2017, 3:26 PM
Practically no dust above the table now. Highly recommended!!

Jason

George Werner
05-19-2017, 4:12 PM
Nice. I'm waiting on mine to arrive, probably a couple more weeks to go.

Frederick Skelly
05-19-2017, 4:45 PM
Great choice! I love mine too.
Fred

Frank Martin
05-19-2017, 11:02 PM
I had one when I had a Unisaw. It was the best ugrade ever. Enjoy yours.

Andy Giddings
05-19-2017, 11:12 PM
Mine's on order as well, looks good, Jason. Which size hose did you go with?

Ole Anderson
05-20-2017, 9:04 AM
Looks like the newer models are able to run closer to the fence than the one I have. I have a 3" hose on mine.

Jason White
05-20-2017, 8:08 PM
2-1/2 inches. Seems more than adequate. I have a 4" hose connected to the cabinet. Both join together via a wye that I bought at Woodcraft.

Greg Parrish
05-21-2017, 8:10 AM
Love mine. I have the 4" port on mine for my 1972 PM66 and I use it with an Oneida v3000 dust collector. Works great and keeps the saw top very clean when I use it. Only thing I wish is it had a little more clearance to the saw top. On my saw its just slightly to low to cut 2x material with the guard in place. For sheet stock though it's great.

Chris Parks
05-21-2017, 9:43 PM

For the slider Andy? I will be interested to see photos as I can't see how to do it without hitting the cross cut fence.

Steve Reich
05-22-2017, 7:10 AM
I received mine a couple of weeks ago and have just got up and working. I have the 4" port on top and it connects very nicely to my PM contractor saw. It works very well---scoops up MDF dust nicely. I'm hoping to have some time to do a write up on it after I use it for a while. You can rip to about an inch wide---narrower than that, and you have to remove the guard.

Frederick Skelly
05-22-2017, 7:57 AM
I received mine a couple of weeks ago and have just got up and working. I'm hoping to have some time to do a write up on it after I use it for a while.

That would be great Steve. Reviews help the next guy.
We'll watch for it!
Fred

Andy Giddings
05-22-2017, 8:04 PM
For the slider Andy? I will be interested to see photos as I can't see how to do it without hitting the cross cut fence.
Yes for the slider, Chris. I've just raised a query with Lee Styron (the owner) to see how much clearance I need. Certainly both Hammer and Felder are listed as available but I want to check that the fastening knobs don't clash with the end of the fence. On mine the space is about 1.5 inches which (hopefully) is enough :-).

For those that have the new guard, how much do the knobs stick out relative to the side of the blade and can you reverse them so that they are on the right hand side of the guard?

Steve Reich
05-23-2017, 8:21 AM
Andy, I'll take some measurements when I get home from work tonight and try to give you some answers. I don't think that they are reversible.

Rod Sheridan
05-23-2017, 9:18 AM
Hi Andy, I went with an overarm mounted guard on my B3 so that I could use it for non through cuts.

Regards, Rod.

Chris Parks
05-23-2017, 9:29 AM
Rod, can I ask you to take a photo of the cross cut fence on the slider and showing how much clearance there is for the Shark Guard. Did you increase the distance between the end of the CC fence and the blade?

Rod Sheridan
05-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Hi Chris, I am in Calgary this week, will gladly send a photo on the weekend.

I didn't use the Shark Guard because the one I found was splitter mounted, so it can't be used for non through cuts, same as the original Hammer guard.

The Hammer guard is better than the Shark as it's very narrow, however it also is splitter mounted so it can't be used for non through cuts.

The guard I installed can slide left/right so it doesn't interfere with the crosscut fence or the rip fence.

regards, Rod.

Jeff Lucht
05-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Yes for the slider, Chris. I've just raised a query with Lee Styron (the owner) to see how much clearance I need. Certainly both Hammer and Felder are listed as available but I want to check that the fastening knobs don't clash with the end of the fence. On mine the space is about 1.5 inches which (hopefully) is enough :-).

For those that have the new guard, how much do the knobs stick out relative to the side of the blade and can you reverse them so that they are on the right hand side of the guard?

I have a Hammer K3 and use the Shark Guard. Lee was very helpful in cutting down the fastening knobs on the slider side so the crosscut fence on my slider will clear the guard - I just let him know how much clearance I had. If you use a scoring blade, I think the shorter version of the guard would land right on top of the scoring blade. I went with the longer guard so I could use it with the scoring blade. It is a bit clunky because of its length but I haven't had any issues. Also, I have the 4" dust collection port and often have to adjust the blast gate to cut back on suction if my offcuts are small because the suction otherwise wants to pull everything up the hose (with a 3HP Oneida system).

Andy Giddings
05-23-2017, 1:04 PM
I have a Hammer K3 and use the Shark Guard. Lee was very helpful in cutting down the fastening knobs on the slider side so the crosscut fence on my slider will clear the guard - I just let him know how much clearance I had. If you use a scoring blade, I think the shorter version of the guard would land right on top of the scoring blade. I went with the longer guard so I could use it with the scoring blade. It is a bit clunky because of its length but I haven't had any issues. Also, I have the 4" dust collection port and often have to adjust the blast gate to cut back on suction if my offcuts are small because the suction otherwise wants to pull everything up the hose (with a 3HP Oneida system).
Thanks Jeff, very helpful. I did send an email to Lee to let him know what the clearance is on a C3 (should be the same as yours) so should all be good. He also recommended the long guard to cover the scoring blade when I originally reached out to him to get on the list. Going for 80mm on mine for the dust port but I can see the offcuts are going to be an issue (ClearVue DC on mine)

Patrick Irish
05-23-2017, 1:33 PM
I have one on my Unisaw. I went with their adjusting riving knife and guard. I need to run a hose from the ceiling so it's not in the way.

I did notice the black knobs can get in the way and the blade typically has be run higher than normal for stock to pass. Likely not an issue but what I have noticed.

Steve Reich
05-23-2017, 6:27 PM
Andy,

I measured it at 1 5/8" but from your exchange below with Jeff it sounds like you have things worked out. Lee was very good to work with and seemed able to custom build the guard for a variety of set ups. And I don't see why he couldn't install smaller knobs or a slightly shorter mounting bolt to give you the clearance that you need. Good luck.

Steve

Andy Giddings
05-23-2017, 6:32 PM
Thanks for your help, Steve

Andy Giddings
06-25-2017, 9:52 AM
Got my new Shark Guard installed on to my Hammer C3 recently. Works very well for dust collection and for safety/clarity. As I have a scoring saw blade, I got the long version of the guard to ensure that was under the guard. Easy to remove when required and the 80mm dust port fits the standard hose perfectly. I did have to replace the supplied knobs with something smaller from McMaster-Carr in order to clear the end of the crosscut fence.

George Werner
06-25-2017, 2:04 PM
I just got mine installed this weekend as well. Works great and much less clunky than the Grizzly overarm guard I was using.

Rod Sheridan
06-26-2017, 8:12 AM
Got my new Shark Guard installed on to my Hammer C3 recently. Works very well for dust collection and for safety/clarity. As I have a scoring saw blade, I got the long version of the guard to ensure that was under the guard. Easy to remove when required and the 80mm dust port fits the standard hose perfectly. I did have to replace the supplied knobs with something smaller from McMaster-Carr in order to clear the end of the crosscut fence.

Hi Andy, does it work better than the stock guard?

I had no issues with the stock guard except for non through cuts............regards, Rod.

Andy Giddings
06-26-2017, 9:40 AM
Rod, for dust collection and being able to see through the guard - definitely better. Obviously the collection is linked to the size of the nozzle so this would vary based on the spec chosen. For through cuts - I haven't tried it out yet - it looks as if the riving knife is below the top of the blade (whereas the stock guard is definitely above) so that part would be better - but you would still need to take the guard off. The overheard guard is obviously safer for these cuts, and I would think yours is the best overall solution.