PDA

View Full Version : A computer question MacBook Pro

Sam Murdoch
05-18-2017, 3:15 PM
Several times each day I use the MANAGE WEBSITE PREFERENCE option to clear the website data to websites that I have visited during the day. Presumably I am clearing out the cookies that websites leave when I visit (or it seems, sometimes just get close to - like seeing the name in a google ad.:rolleyes:)

I could use private browsing (Safari is my default browser) even in Safari but I choose not to do that because I participate in a few forums and use google mail so I would need to log in every single time to all these everyday website which I frequent.

Up until yesterday - just clearing selected websites on my "manage" page and "removing" those web sites took them off my website history forever (or until I went back, of course).

NOW I have one website which just cannot be cleared off. I cannot select it independently (as with all the others and as I have always done). It just cannot be deleted. If I select ALL the website history it clears the cache for a few seconds but nearly immediately that one web site comes back as if I am always linked onto their site.

Please - any idea how to permanently delete this leech? :confused: It is a check printing company - NOT the one I use and not one I will ever do business with or investigate their site. In fact, I don't think I have ever been to their site.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW - my operating system is OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5 - if that is a useful bit of info.

Thank you.

Mike Cutler
05-18-2017, 9:00 PM
I had one of those on my MacBook Pro. Insidious little bugger. It took over Google, and every time Google loaded up as the home page it loaded up with it.
I searched the Mac OS forums and found a way to clear it. IIRC, I had to manually clear out the home page, in the preference pane, while I had Mozilla up at the same time to read the instructions. It took me a day or so, bit I finally got it off.
You didn't have to go their site. It was probably loaded with a site you did go to, and did not realize it.
Search the Mac Forums, or try to manually type in your home page.

MacKeeper is a real PITB to get off your laptop if you ever accidentally load the ad for that piece of garbage.

Sam Murdoch
05-18-2017, 9:02 PM
Thanks Mike - good place to start.

John McClanahan
05-18-2017, 9:29 PM
Stay away from MacKeeper. It is highly questionable as to what all it does.

John

Scott Brandstetter
05-19-2017, 3:53 PM
Not sure if this will totally solve it but I use MacCleaner3 and I really like it. I will run it every couple of months and it seems to have solved the issues you are having and I had.

Sam Murdoch
05-19-2017, 5:49 PM
Not sure if this will totally solve it but I use MacCleaner3 and I really like it. I will run it every couple of months and it seems to have solved the issues you are having and I had.

Thanks Scott but this was a one time issue for me with one web site. Has never happened before. In any case - all gone now. Seems I only needed to delete it a hundred times or so before it gave up. :D After a few days of deleting, it finally disappeared - no other tactics required.