PDA

View Full Version : Retiring and losing my shop

Ron Citerone
05-17-2017, 3:30 PM
I am retiring after 35 years of Middle School Tech ED/Industrial Arts teaching. I will therefore lose access to my shop. I have a lot of portable power tools, but no real shop at home other than my garage which is packed to the gills. I was wondering if anybody ever made an arrangement with another serious woodworker who allowed buy in to their shop. This could mean a monthly payment toward electric etc. Also it could mean finding someone with space, but not the cash to buy some machinery which I could help with.

To my knowledge there are no woodworking clubs here. There is a woodworking school that offers open shop time in Philadelphia that has 3 month membership plans that I could get into during the winter months. Spring/Summer/Fall I could probably find enough other stuff to keep me busy working on my house and cottage etc.

Not looking for a specific place right now............more kind of looking for some discussion about arrangements others in a similar situation may have made.

Thanks, Ron

Malcolm McLeod
05-17-2017, 3:38 PM
Look into local 'maker-space' clubs or coops. They could offer you the space you need, and perhaps a membership discount for making some of your tools or expertise available for use by other members...?

Hoang N Nguyen
05-17-2017, 3:39 PM
I open my doors to a fellow member here when he had to move and had no place for a shop. All his tools ended up in storage minus a nice PM mortiser which ended up in my shop along with an array of chisels.

We keep in touch every now and than and when he needed shop time, he would ask to come by on a weekend I'm free.

I don't charge him for using my shop because I value the friendship we developed more than any amount of money can be offered. He also shared a great deal of knowledge with me in regards to woodworking. If anything, I should be paying him for the lessons.

Peter Gavin
05-17-2017, 3:51 PM
It would be very helpful if we knew your location.

Peter

Jay Runde
05-17-2017, 4:10 PM
I would assume he is in or near Philadelphia by reading his post.

Von Bickley
05-17-2017, 5:41 PM
Different strokes for different folks...... I can't see that working for me, but I have heard that there are some coop's that work well for woodworkers.

Hope you can find something that will work for you.....

Eric Rimel
05-17-2017, 7:32 PM
My very first shop was a shared space. I went and looked at a bulletin board at a large hardwood supplier that catered to custom furniture makers and saw several ads for shop space. I called them all, but really clicked with one guy with a small moderately equipped space. We were shop mates for years until I moved out of state. We pooled equipment and also worked for each other when the need arose.

Prior to that I rented space when a shop owner went on vacation for several weeks at a time. I also managed to bump my way into a Co-Op space that was amazing, but they didn't have anymore bench space. I just rented time on their equipment and worked out of my small basement. I also took classes at a local arts college to gain access to equipment and some amazing teachers.

The Makerspace surge is certainly something to look into. I visit one on occasion for events but am not a member. With your years of Tech. Ed. teaching you might be a shoe in for teaching classes/seminars or just being there a certain number of hours a week to help people in exchange for membership.

Don Jarvie
05-17-2017, 8:24 PM
This maybe a good time to clean out the garage and set something up.

Bruce Wrenn
05-17-2017, 8:39 PM
Congrats on retiring BEFORE the shop was sold out from under you.

Jim Becker
05-17-2017, 8:55 PM
The shop space at Philadelphia Furniture Workshop is outstanding and you will not meet nicer folks than Alan and Mario.

Of course, Don Jarvie has an excellent suggestion, too. :D

One of the biggest issue with "sharing" a shop with another individual comes down to liability, so that may be difficult to obtain if you don't already have an established, strong friendship or at least one going in that direction.

Martin Wasner
05-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Here in Minnesota, I see shared spaces on Craigslist frequently. I usually come across the posts when I'm looking for equipment.

Keith Hankins
05-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Where exactly are you at? I heard some say near philly, but how close west east etc.? Might help finding something.

Ron Citerone
05-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Here in Minnesota, I see shared spaces on Craigslist frequently. I usually come across the posts when I'm looking for equipment.

I looked once on CL but nothing really showed..............will try again. Thanks

Ron Citerone
05-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Where exactly are you at? I heard some say near philly, but how close west east etc.? Might help finding something.

Deaware County.........near the airport. Looking for ideas on how others may have pursued their search more than an exact situation as I have lots to do until late fall. Thanks a lot

Rick Alexander
05-18-2017, 3:14 PM
A little extreme I know but move to Greenville SC. Lots less snow - great place to live - cheap housing - and probably one of the finest woodworking guilds in the country with an AMAZING club shop that cost like $160 / year to use. I live in Atlanta and we have a great club here but no shop. We've visited the Greenville shop a couple of times as a club outing and man - AMAZING shop. Good luck on your search - I really hope you find a good situation
n.

http://www.greenvillewoodworkers.com/

Congrats on the retirement as well.

Roger Marty
05-18-2017, 4:27 PM
I am retiring after 35 years of Middle School Tech ED/Industrial Arts teaching. I will therefore lose access to my shop. I have a lot of portable power tools, but no real shop at home other than my garage which is packed to the gills. I was wondering if anybody ever made an arrangement with another serious woodworker who allowed buy in to their shop. This could mean a monthly payment toward electric etc. Also it could mean finding someone with space, but not the cash to buy some machinery which I could help with.

To my knowledge there are no woodworking clubs here. There is a woodworking school that offers open shop time in Philadelphia that has 3 month membership plans that I could get into during the winter months. Spring/Summer/Fall I could probably find enough other stuff to keep me busy working on my house and cottage etc.

Not looking for a specific place right now............more kind of looking for some discussion about arrangements others in a similar situation may have made.

Thanks, Ron

Indeed look for maker spaces in your area. My city has a maker space with a full metal-working and wood-working shop with monthly membership. Welders. SawStop cabinet saw. Bandsaw. Planer/jointer. Etc.

Jon Nuckles
05-18-2017, 10:38 PM
The Chicago Park District has a number of woodworking shops that you can access for a VERY reasonable fee. Maybe there is a similar program in Philadelphia? In Chicago, the space, type of equipment and to some extent the the nature of the woodworking going on will vary from shop to shop. I used a park district shop for a number of years and generally enjoyed it. Limited operating hours, waiting for machines and having to set up and clean up at every session were the drawbacks. I imagine some of those issues would also apply to makerspaces, but I have no personal experience.
When I got more serious about my woodworking, I looked around for my own space without much success. Then I happened upon a posting on the old "Knots" forum on the Fine Woodworking site by a guy seeking a person to share a woodworking space in Chicago. The posting was 6 months old, but I responded anyway, mainly hoping the poster would have some tips about how he found his space that might help me find my own. Turns out he had found a person to share the space, but the person didn't have enough time to take advantage of it and had just decided to leave. I was able to move in and we shared the space for several years. It was a good situation with two honest and responsible people and no worries about missing tools or unpaid rent. He has since moved and I have taken over the space. I still like my space, but my rent is twice as high because it is no longer split between two, and I don't have a person to bounce ideas off of or an extra hand for big glue ups. I'd consider trying to find someone to share my space, but the landlord prefers artists to woodworkers and will no longer allow me to share with another woodworker.
If you can find a good person to share space with, I recommend it. I see the occasional Craigslist post of woodworkers looking for others to share their space. Good luck with your search and congratulations on your retirement.

Chris Hachet
05-19-2017, 7:54 AM

Thanks, Ron

I have such an arrangement with another woodworker and it works very well.

Wade Lippman
05-20-2017, 2:39 PM
Around here several high schools have "courses" that let you use their shops for a reasonable fee. Some people take them for years.
Of course, this was 15 years ago; maybe they have all dropped shop by now.

Rick Hubbard
05-26-2017, 9:33 PM

Thanks, Ron

I went through a somewhat similar situation a few years ago when I retired and moved to Virginia from Maine. I rented a small shop but it was in an inconvenient location and way too small (plus a drain on the pocket book). I was about to sell off the whole shop, lock, stock and barrel, when I heard about a Makerspace that had just opened up in the town where I lived. I wound up donating everything to them (and there was a LOT) in exchange for 24x7 access to the facility. Best decision I ever made.

Rick

John Terefenko
05-27-2017, 2:19 AM
How about renting one of those storage lockers??

John T Barker
05-27-2017, 2:21 AM

Thanks, Ron

If there is no reason for you to stay completely retired why don't you apply for a job at the Manayunk woodshop...can't remember the name of the place. The owner puts an add on craigslist for instructor or shop manager every six months or so. The money isn't great but complete use of the shop makes it an okay deal if you sell what you make.

I have a pretty good set up renting space in a barn in Wayne so if you could find something like that you'd do all right. I'm fearing that my landlord is going to turn my space into a play area for his kids in a year or so and I'll be looking too. I'm not anxious to look before I have to though...procrastination is my middle name.

I'd also try to hit up all the forums and online clubs and see what you find. Yellow pages are not a bad idea as you may find a guy that has gone pro that might want to share space. Along the same lines going to a major woodworking/craft show and asking around couldn't hurt.
Some of the pros in the area teach (I used to work with Chuck Bender and I think he still teaches) and they might look for a person to help out in exchange for shop use.

Good luck.

Ronald Blue
05-27-2017, 8:41 AM
I didn't look to deeply into this but on the surface it appears to be what you are looking for. Here is the link but it's not live. Just copy and paste.

philadelphiawoodworks.com/

Kurt Kintner
05-27-2017, 9:52 AM
When I retired in 2009, my shop was in our 30x30 garage... I didn't like having to
put everything away at the end of the day, so I could bring the cars in ....
So, I bought a 16x24 shed from Graceland Portable Buildings for $6900....
They brought it in, set and leveled it, as part of the deal .... This has been ideal for me...
Might be something to look into, if you have the room...

Jim Becker
05-27-2017, 1:49 PM
I didn't look to deeply into this but on the surface it appears to be what you are looking for. Here is the link but it's not live. Just copy and paste.

philadelphiawoodworks.com/

That's actually not such a bad location for the OP as he's on "that side" of the city. I wasn't aware of this facility...it looks nice.