PDA

View Full Version : Family room built-ins

Hoang N Nguyen
05-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Hi all, wanted to share with you guys my most recent project. Built-ins for our family room. Project took just over a month to complete, mainly working a few hours a night after work and on weekends.

All panels were 3/4" birch ply from the borg, surprisingly the ones I picked up were pretty decent. No crazy bows or voids so working with it wasn't too terrible.

Face frame was 1x2 select pine because I was too lazy to mill my own wood.

Doors were milled from left over poplar I had on hand. Door panel is 1/4" birch ply.

Cabinet base was constructed of dado for the cabinet bottom and pocket screws for the top braces. Upper shelves constructed using 8mm dominos for all the joints. Side profile, crown and trim were brad nails and pin nails.

Finished with 2 coats of Kem aqua surfacer and 2 coats of Kem Aqua white tinted to pure white. Sprayed using my Fuji Q5 HVLP. The paint went on beautifully and was extremely easy to spray. It leveled out flat and super smooth. This will be my go to paint from now on.

When you're short and need to rip 4' of ply, a step stool is your friend (first pic) :)

I guess enough talking from me. Here are some pictures of the built and finish product.

Hoang N Nguyen
05-17-2017, 12:06 PM

Hoang N Nguyen
05-17-2017, 12:08 PM

Thanks for checking it out.

Sam Murdoch
05-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Nicely done. Looks like you did your thinking - the final photos show a great result.
Night and weekends :cool:. Looks like you have a well outfitted shop. Where did you set up to spray?

Cheers, Sam

Hoang N Nguyen
05-17-2017, 1:09 PM
Nicely done. Looks like you did your thinking - the final photos show a great result.
Night and weekends :cool:. Looks like you have a well outfitted shop. Where did you set up to spray?

Cheers, Sam

Thanks Sam, I dedicated a room about 200 sq. ft in the basement shop for finishing. You can see it in the background with all the plastic coverings in some of the pictures.

Malcolm McLeod
05-17-2017, 1:56 PM
Beautiful work!

Painting looks flawless. So how's your schedule looking about 3 weeks out? ...Might let you 'practice' painting on some stuff in Texas...;)

Hoang N Nguyen
05-17-2017, 3:42 PM
Beautiful work!

Painting looks flawless. So how's your schedule looking about 3 weeks out? ...Might let you 'practice' painting on some stuff in Texas...;)

As much as I enjoyed this project..... I hate painting and staining. :confused::D

Jim Becker
05-17-2017, 8:52 PM
As usual... "wowsa!"

Bill McNiel
05-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Very nicely done sir.

Bruce Volden
05-18-2017, 7:36 PM
Hoang,

You know of course that if my wife see's your work, I'll will have to "unfriend" you!
NICE job!

Bruce

Greg Parrish
05-21-2017, 8:26 AM
Very nice. A project I need to tackle in my house in the coming year for a couple of rooms. Thanks for sharing the detailed progress pictures.

Hoang N Nguyen
05-21-2017, 8:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. This is just 1 of the many projects my wife has planned for this house. The house is only 5 months old (new build) and she already wants to change so many things about it.

C Scott McDonald
05-30-2017, 1:28 AM
Those look really nice. Those kind of projects make a house a home.

Can the Kem Aqua be tinted in any color like blue or gray?

Hoang N Nguyen
05-30-2017, 12:11 PM
My wife always says the same thing. She really missed our old house after the move. It was our first house together as a married couple, our son was born into that house and the countless upgrades I did to it in the years we've lived there.

She's starting to come around though, saying things are starting to look more like "home".

To my understanding, the kem aqua can be tinted to "most" colors. Darker colors like black is harder to do but I believe they can, with side affects to my understanding. Gray wasn't an issue since the back board of my built-ins was finished in a gray color (shown in the pictures). I've never tried blue yet but I'm sure the people at SW can answer that question.

I will say, I notice the gray was much thicker than the white. I assume this was due to them having to add a lot of color to get it to the gray I wanted. Don't mistaken thicker as being close to latex thick, it's still many folds thinner than latex.

I also highly recommend Kem aqua surfacer. It's super thin, just like the paint and sprays nicely. I buy their surfacer in 5 gallons buckets because I use it on pretty much everything I spray.

Those look really nice. Those kind of projects make a house a home.

Can the Kem Aqua be tinted in any color like blue or gray?

Hoang N Nguyen
05-30-2017, 12:19 PM

Here's a close up of the finish to give you an idea of how well it sprays. Granted I was using a Fuji Q5, I believe it would spray well with even an earlex 5500 considering how thin it is.

Mike Null
05-31-2017, 7:15 AM
Hoang

That's really great work. But nobody has a shop that's actually that clean--do they?

Hoang N Nguyen
05-31-2017, 8:49 AM
I'll share my secret with you. I have an I-Robot Roomba in the shop that comes on every night at 2 am to do his rounds. He'll wonder around for about 1.5 hours cleaning up any dust, shavings and other junk I throw on the ground. I brush off all the dust from my tools onto the ground when I'm done using it and the Roomba cleans it up every night. This results in a nice clean shop everyday.

Hoang

That's really great work. But nobody has a shop that's actually that clean--do they?

Guy Dotan
06-02-2017, 2:51 PM
Really nice and the finish is to die for.

Paul Janders
06-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Beautiful woodwork with an equally beautiful finish.

How loud is the Fuji Q5? Do you paint indoors or outdoors? Thanks for providing all the info about the paint you used.

Robert Engel
06-05-2017, 11:40 AM
What's good about these projects is they add equity to your home.

Hoang N Nguyen
06-05-2017, 11:51 AM
The Q5 isn't all that loud, maybe about the same as a shop vac. I spray indoors, part of my basement shop is dedicated as a spray booth with fans venting outside. I have the sprayer outside the spray booth with the hose going into the spray area. It's really just to protect the turbine and it's filters from over spray.

Beautiful woodwork with an equally beautiful finish.

How loud is the Fuji Q5? Do you paint indoors or outdoors? Thanks for providing all the info about the paint you used.

I do believe it adds a little value, at the very least, it makes the house easier to sell. I did built-ins, walk-in closet reno and all that good stuff at our last house. We got a full ask offer within the first hour of listing it. We were asking 50k higher than the highest selling price of previously sold homes in our neighborhood.

To be fair though, housing in that area was just sky rocketing so it wasn't too hard. Same goes for the new house I have now. The builders are still here finishing out the neighborhood and they are asking 100k more for the remaining homes than what I paid for when I started the build a year ago. Same floor plan, same options, higher asking price.

What's good about these projects is they add equity to your home.

Darin German
06-13-2017, 7:47 PM
Very nice work! Looks perfect for the space.

glenn bradley
06-14-2017, 1:33 PM
Looking very nice Hoang. Well done!