PDA

View Full Version : My Dirty Little Secret

Carole Valentine
10-22-2005, 12:07 AM
I am a "voidophobic" and I admit it. I have been scared to death to turn anything with a void larger than a worm hole. I was sure it would explode, which would in turn cause ME to implode! Tonight I took a step towards conquering my phobia with this little piece of cedar. Guess what? It didn't explode!:D I figured if anything would fly apart it would be cedar! This was one of those corners left over when you cut a circular blank out of a slab. (Yes, Mike and Ken, it is the cedar we got at the log dump!) It just has one coat of oil on it so far. Sorry for the lousy pic...kitchen, flourescent lights, papertowel, etc. LOL

Carole,
Who's learning turning one step at a time.

Andy Hoyt
10-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all. Love the figure and the bravery.

Rich Stewart
10-22-2005, 2:04 AM
I really like that one. Little vases and boxes are the direction I want to go with my turning. How long did it take to do that? Did you use any special hollowing tools? What are the dimensions? If that was a corner it was either very small vase or a very large bowl blank. lol. My corners could maybe make a thimble. Really pretty piece.

Michael Stafford
10-22-2005, 7:12 AM
Voidophobic, eh??? I guess that is a word....:rolleyes: Well, you overcame something, that is nice looking little vase! Looks as if it has some curl in it. Can't beat that photo set up :D .

John Hart
10-22-2005, 7:22 AM
What a cute little Vase Carole!!!!! I guess you'll be doing a 10" diameter, bark inclusion, Natural Edge next eh? :) Nice form and gorgeous wood too!

Dick Parr
10-22-2005, 7:55 AM
Very nice Carole, that is a different color for Cedar. Looks great.

Ernie Nyvall
10-22-2005, 8:44 AM
Congratulations on overcoming your phobia!!! That is a beautiful little vase. Nice finish on that cedar.

Ernie

Carole Valentine
10-22-2005, 10:16 AM
How long did it take to do that? Did you use any special hollowing tools? What are the dimensions? If that was a corner it was either very small vase or a very large bowl blank. lol. My corners could maybe make a thimble. Really pretty piece.

It's 3 1/2" x 3 ", Rich. Never throw away corners from cutting blanks...you can use them for all sorts of things -finials, spinning tops, collars, mini-turnings, pen blanks or even THIMBLES!:)
As far as tools, I first shaped the outside then drilled an interior hole (I use a 1/2" MT#2 drill bit that fits in my tailstock). All of the hollowing was done with the Stinger hollowing tools.

Jim Becker
10-22-2005, 4:35 PM
Carole, the void actually makes the hollowing EASIER 'cause you can see your actual wall thickness up close and personal like... ;)

Nice job!

Carole Valentine
10-22-2005, 6:52 PM
Carole, the void actually makes the hollowing EASIER 'cause you can see your actual wall thickness up close and personal like... ;)

Nice job!
I found that out! This is probably my first hollow form where the wall thickness is consistent, thanks to the void!:D Here is a better pic. Still no additional oil or final sanding yet.

Andy Hoyt
10-22-2005, 6:56 PM
That mouth needs a cigar!

Loy Hawes
10-22-2005, 8:09 PM
One cigar coming right up! :D

Bruce Page
10-22-2005, 8:10 PM
That mouth needs a cigar!

LOL! Andy, you have a unique way of seeing things.

Carole Valentine
10-22-2005, 8:13 PM
One cigar coming right up! :D
LOL! I love it! Perfect for Halloween! Think I will go out and cut a big blank of Mulberry and try to turn and carve a punkin!

Loy Hawes
10-22-2005, 8:18 PM
That would be cool.

Andy Hoyt
10-22-2005, 8:21 PM
Way to go Loy!

Never even thought of eyes, but they do indeed complete the image.

Harry Pye
10-22-2005, 8:45 PM
To Carole,
Who's learning turning one step at a time.

You may be learning one step at a time, but those steps are Giant steps. Really nice vase.

M Toupin
10-22-2005, 8:51 PM
Nice, great grain and the color is wild! I didn't have much hope for anything exceptional in that log, but you brought out the best in it. Now quit teasing and show us the rest of that log :)

Mike

Carole Valentine
10-22-2005, 9:33 PM
Now quit teasing and show us the rest of that log :)
Mike
Hi Mike!
I got about a 9" blank out of the cedar. (I think that's about what it was) and the corners for small stuff like this. It's sitting on my bench waiting for inspiration, as are the magnificent spalted burl blanks you brought. All anchorsealed. I am going to start working on some of the big blocks of spalted maple you brought tomorrow. Unfortunately, the cracks seemed to have enlarged. I think that spell of low humidity weather we had affected them. :( I'll just try to work around the cracks and see what I get. That's part of the fun of turning! You took home a hunk of that cedar didn't you?

John Miliunas
10-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Hmmmm Carole, you see there? First, I didn't detect anything "dirty" about any of it and, it's not a "secret" anymore, either!:D Good thing, too, 'cuz now the rest of us can enjoy it! That looks great and it's obvious to me that the only thing "scared" was that blank as you turned it into submission! :) Very nice! I bet it'll look even better once you have it all shined up, so don't forget pics of that, as well!:) :cool:

Keith Burns
10-23-2005, 5:29 PM
Wonderful piece Carole. Isn't it nice to overcome something. Opens your horizions. Can't wait to see the next one.

Travis Stinson
10-23-2005, 8:18 PM
Really cool Carole. Voids are fun!:D

Jeff Sudmeier
10-23-2005, 8:40 PM
Carole, That looks truely great! I personally really like the void in this one!