PDA

View Full Version : Impact driver for lug nuts?

Dan Friedrichs
05-15-2017, 10:07 PM
I have one of these:
https://www.makitatools.com/Products/details/XDT13Z

Since it's rated for 125 ftlbs, and the lug nuts on my cars are torqued to 100 ftlbs, is there some reason I can't use it (with a socket adapter) to remove lug nuts?

Or: is there some reason I should buy an impact wrench (like this guy: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XWT11Z)?

Andy Giddings
05-15-2017, 11:13 PM
Worth a try, Dan - depends on who tightened the lug nuts I think. In theory it should work and the socket adaptor is cheaper than buying another power tool

Charles Wiggins
05-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Never owned and impact wrench. Used to rotate my tires by hand between changes. Never had a problem.

Rick Potter
05-16-2017, 3:14 AM
I have used mine to install my removable 5th wheel hitch many times, using 1/2" bolts. Try it, and see.

My concerns would be the size and weight of the hammers inside, and the quarter inch drive snapping off. Notice the impact wrench has a half inch drive, and probably a lot of other heavier stuff inside.

Mike Cutler
05-16-2017, 5:39 AM
The lug nut isn't going to know.
I use my Makita, a smaller version than that model, on the cars, it seems to work. I also have air impacts. I torque the lug nuts by hand though, not matter how I put them on
I would be a little skeptical of the 125 ft/lbs. That a significant amount of torque.

John K Jordan
05-16-2017, 6:43 AM
I've used my impact drivers (hitachi and dewalt models) for many tasks around the farm remote from power - nuts, lag screws, etc. These little drivers might handle lug nuts unless they were tightened too much, which unfortunately happens all too often.

For me, the decision to buy a heavier-duty tool would depend amount of use I anticipate. Although a driver intended for deck screws might loosen lug nuts, my concern would be the long term stress and wear put on it. In my experience, it probably would also be slow to use.

For vehicle maintenance, I would choose an impact wrench made for heavy use. I personally avoid battery operated tools that are used only occasionally (unless they use the same batteries as frequently used tools.) I hate dealing with and replacing expensive batteries. Unless the planned use was far from power I'd choose a corded tool - put it on the shelf for 10 years and it will still work when you need it!

With a good source of compressed air there is nothing like a quality pneumatic wrench. I have a big compressor in my shop so I use a Dewalt which sees a lot of use on farm equipment and the bobcat. (Even it struggles with an occasional difficult or rusted nut.)

BTW, it is easy to over-tighten a lug nut with a powerful impact wrench. I always tighten lug nuts and other critical bolts/nuts to spec with a hand-powered torque wrench. (It is a good idea to clean and lubricate the threads first.)

JKJ

Matt Day
05-16-2017, 7:36 AM
I use mine for lug nuts. It can't get them off from totally tight, but sure speeds up the process of unthreading and threading on.

Malcolm McLeod
05-16-2017, 8:16 AM
I have the equivalent Ryobi One+ driver and IMO it is not suitable for even occasional use on lugs - in either direction (except maybe to 'run' them in/out). They don't even advertise the torque spec for the newer versions.

As Rick pointed out, if I was using it on a daily/weekly basis for lugs, I'd worry about the 1/4" hex chuck.

Ed Labadie
05-16-2017, 11:36 AM
I use mine for lug nuts. It can't get them off from totally tight, but sure speeds up the process of unthreading and threading on.

The breakaway torque will be much higher than the 100lt/lbs that they were torqued to, best to buy a more powerful impact.

Ed

Thomas Pratt
05-16-2017, 11:43 AM
This is one of my pet peeves. The auto shops seem to want the lug nuts tight tight so they use the pneumatic sockets for a long time. Then if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere, you cannot get the lug nuts loosened with the lug wrench that comes with the car. This can ruin your day.

Dan Friedrichs
05-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Gave it a try: the impact driver (rated for 125 ftlbs) with a socket adapter took the lug nuts off with zero problem. Actually "hammered" for less time than my pneumatic impact wrench usually does.

I always rotate my own tires (for the reason Thomas mentions: I don't trust the shops to torque them, properly), so I know they are never torqued above 100 ftlbs (I use a torque wrench to put them back on). Using this impact driver will be FAR more convenient than dragging an air hose around! And while the cordless impact wrench obviously has much more torque, I don't think I need it for what I do.

I am just beyond impressed with these brushless LXT-series tools. The impact driver is comically powerful for its size. I also bought a string trimmer, blower, and lawnmower that use the same batteries, and they are just beyond amazing. Powerful, quiet, and the cordless-ness is just obnoxiously convenient.

John Lankers
05-16-2017, 5:41 PM
It would be good practice not to hold the socket with your bare hand in case it breaks, it will hurt a lot for a long time!!!

Greg R Bradley
05-16-2017, 6:52 PM
Lug Nuts properly torqued to 100 ft lb will come off with the one you have. Overtightened or ones with substantial corrosion might not. The bigger brushless unit in your link would be preferable if you are using it regularly. I have three of the 1/2" brushless in daily use in a heavy construction maintenance yard. Yes, they are amazing. And they have two larger, heavier duty ones :)

Lug nuts get taken OFF with an impact and snugged on with an impact, then tightened with a torque wrench.

Chris Parks
05-16-2017, 9:43 PM
My son is a Mazda tech and all of his pneumatic tools are basically redundant except for occasional heavy duty fastener but when I was fixing cars it was the only thing we had.

Ole Anderson
05-17-2017, 7:22 PM
This is one of my pet peeves. The auto shops seem to want the lug nuts tight tight so they use the pneumatic sockets for a long time. Then if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere, you cannot get the lug nuts loosened with the lug wrench that comes with the car. This can ruin your day.

Any auto shop worth their salt will properly torque lug nuts. They might run them up with a torque stick on a rattle gun, then final torque with a torque wrench. I run mine up with my 1/2" I/R gun on it lowest setting, then use my digital torque wrench to finish the job. Even a few hits on the same setting you use to remove them will over torque them in general.

Pat Barry
05-18-2017, 3:49 PM
Gave it a try: the impact driver (rated for 125 ftlbs) with a socket adapter took the lug nuts off with zero problem. Actually "hammered" for less time than my pneumatic impact wrench usually does.

I always rotate my own tires (for the reason Thomas mentions: I don't trust the shops to torque them, properly), so I know they are never torqued above 100 ftlbs (I use a torque wrench to put them back on). Using this impact driver will be FAR more convenient than dragging an air hose around! And while the cordless impact wrench obviously has much more torque, I don't think I need it for what I do.

I am just beyond impressed with these brushless LXT-series tools. The impact driver is comically powerful for its size. I also bought a string trimmer, blower, and lawnmower that use the same batteries, and they are just beyond amazing. Powerful, quiet, and the cordless-ness is just obnoxiously convenient.
I have a green Makita 18V drill driver. I bought a collet adapter for it to use for my 6" ice auger last winter. Previously I drilled ice fishing holes by hand - talk about a work out. Now that Makita drill and ice auger drilled many holes thru 2 feet of ice without a strain. To me that was a huge attest for the power of these tools. I had all I could do to hold onto it.

John K Jordan
05-18-2017, 7:38 PM
We had fun today with nuts on a vehicle. I don't think even a powerful impact wrench would have loosened them. A spreader truck broke an axle while spreading 8 tons of lime in my fields - the 2" axle snapped like a matchstick. The eight bolts holding the axle flange needed an 1-1/8" socket and took the weight of a big guy with a 2' breaker bar and a 3' cheater pipe to break them loose. Fortunately the truck broke down in the front field near my shop and I had all the tools needed to fix it. The big guy "torqued" the nuts on the new axle with the 2' breaker bar. Six hundred dollars and six hours after they got here the lime was spread. The tires on that truck were huge, 32" wide I think - 2wd, it's never been stuck even on hills after a rain.

This is nothing at all to do with the subject but it reminded me that hand tools are often all that's needed for even big jobs.

JKJ

Jerome Stanek
05-19-2017, 7:23 AM
We had fun today with nuts on a vehicle. I don't think even a powerful impact wrench would have loosened them. A spreader truck broke an axle while spreading 8 tons of lime in my fields - the 2" axle snapped like a matchstick. The eight bolts holding the axle flange needed an 1-1/8" socket and took the weight of a big guy with a 2' breaker bar and a 3' cheater pipe to break them loose. Fortunately the truck broke down in the front field near my shop and I had all the tools needed to fix it. The big guy "torqued" the nuts on the new axle with the 2' breaker bar. Six hundred dollars and six hours after they got here the lime was spread. The tires on that truck were huge, 32" wide I think - 2wd, it's never been stuck even on hills after a rain.

This is nothing at all to do with the subject but it reminded me that hand tools are often all that's needed for even big jobs.

JKJ

Those trucks are awesome ours pulled a loaded semi thought the mud before the driver could release the brakes

John K Jordan
05-19-2017, 7:37 AM
Those trucks are awesome ours pulled a loaded semi thought the mud before the driver could release the brakes

Ha! I'm imagining what the semi driver must have thought!

JKJ

Jerome Stanek
05-19-2017, 10:30 AM
When he got out he was laughing about it. it slid for about 30 feet to where he was todump the lime

Matt Meiser
05-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Any auto shop worth their salt will properly torque lug nuts. They might run them up with a torque stick on a rattle gun, then final torque with a torque wrench.

This. If your place doesn't find a real one. If they get offended when you ask, that's also a good sign its time to go elsewhere. But also, I'm often surprised at how tight proper torque is when I do it especially on an SUV or truck. Even my current car, which is a performance model, has a 150ft-lb spec.

Russ Filtz
05-29-2017, 11:04 AM
I have a plug-in impact wrench which works pretty well. At times though I don't think it has the guts to break the lugs free. My procedure it to initially "crack" the lugs free on the ground with a breaker bar, then jack the wheel up. After that, the impact wrench makes super fast work of the lugs. To reinstall I use the exact same procedure in revers. Use the impact with the wheel in the air, lower the car and then use the breaker bar to give each lug a check by feel.