PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 90

Jeff Ramsey
05-15-2017, 6:06 AM
I picked up a 1970 Powermatic 90 this weekend and started cleaning it a bit. The online manual calls for SAE 10W for the oiler on the top. Any reason why I couldn't use the SAE 20 that 3-in-1 sells for fan motors? I need a new live center; the spur is broken off at the end. Any suggestions in general? Besides the usual ebay, owwm and CL, what are other good resources? Thanks.

William C Rogers
05-15-2017, 8:08 AM
Jeff, I am no expert, but have owned a PM 90 for 8 years. I have always used 3 in 1 oil and have had no problems. The PM 90's are almost bullet proof. Re guarding the spur drive, I haven't used one in years. I use steb centers. Penn State seems to have the best prices on the steb centers and live centers. I bought most years ago and quite good, however I recently bought one that didn't seem to be the same quality. It's ok, but guessing they changed mfg. One of the very first things you need to buy is a spindle spacer. You can buy it from the Woodturning Store (Hurricane Chuck) for about $9.00. You need this as no chuck will seat against the spindle face without it. Spindle threads do not go far enough. Faceplates are ok without the spacer, but for any chuck it is a must have. Looking st the photo, it appears your speeds are 1000-4000 rpm. Mine is a lower speed range 350-2100. I don't see a VFD and don't know if you have 3 phase or single phase motor. If 3 phase a VFD will allow lower speed for bowl work. Also I'm not sure when Powermatic changed over to the jack-shaft style motor mounting. I installed a single phase 1 hp because VFD's were only a thought when I got mine. 1 hp is ok, however I can bog it down if taking very heavy roughing cuts but manageable. It would be hard doing coring with a 1 hp. I see some type of "shelf?" not sure what it was intended. For parts, I never see anything on CL. OWWM and eBay are a good source. However you can still get many (not all) parts from Powermatic. I believe it is the 1973 parts manual that has the most "current" part list. Go to Powermatic's service and type in the 6-8 digit part number and if available it will show with a price. I bought new banjo locking parts and tail stock quill locking parts and a few others. Note it was much cheaper to buy individual parts instead of kit parts. For tool rest I bought the round bar type a guy makes and sells on eBay, around $55. They are good quality and much better than the cast PM. Finally, I raised mine to get 18" swing. It's not that hard and well documented on OWWM site.

I know this is long, but wanted to give you something to think about and will try to answer any questions. But I am no expert, there are some over at OWWM. Your machine looks well cared for.

Jeff Ramsey
05-15-2017, 4:18 PM
William, thank you for the details. It is, indeed, a 3 phase machine with a VFD that the former owner installed (1 1/2 HP motor). The shelf seem stock; it's a 1970 PM 90. Does yours have a shelf? I'll check all the sources you suggested and also investigate an 18" swing. Thanks, again.

William C Rogers
05-15-2017, 5:36 PM
Mine looks just like yours, it is a 1973. What "shelf" I was referring to was on the headstock. Now guessing that is where the VFD mounts. You should be fine with a 1 1/2 hp and VFD. I also bought one of the cheap $8 rpm meters off eBay just to get a feel where speeds were. The numbers were pretty good at top and bottom and a little off the marking in between. Just looking at the lathe, I'd speculate the former owner put a new belt on. Worth reading is a OWWM thread by Roy Turbett titled Powermatic 90 Time Study. I'd use it for a while and get use to it before raising. The cost to raise is is modest. Biggest cost is if you buy new Robust tool rest. I followed the post over at OWWM by Roy giving detailed information on how to raise the swing and also posted what I did. The one thing I did different was lengthen the cast belt cover that I think is much better than making a wood one. You can search "raising a PM 90" or my name for what I did. The picture below is my lathe that was raised for a 18" swing. Note; I got tired of tightening the tailstock with a wrench and just dedicated a socket and ratchet that stay in place permantly. The other two pictures are to show what I meant by splitting the belt cover.
I have enjoyed this lathe, however I am going to sell it as I bought a Laguna 18-36. I don't have VFD AND TO UPGRADE IT WOULD BE ANOTHER $400. I really liked the looks of the Laguna and just bit the bullet. If you don't mind would you PM me what you paid so I have an idea of a real price. I know location does play into things. No problem if you don't want to share, I understand.
360305 360306360307

Jeff Ramsey
05-15-2017, 8:24 PM
Is the shelf you see the table of my benchtop Delta drill press behind it? I'll be sure to read the thread over at OWWM, and will PM now. Thanks again.

William C Rogers
05-15-2017, 8:57 PM
Is the shelf you see the table of my benchtop Delta drill press behind it? I'll be sure to read the thread over at OWWM, and will PM now. Thanks again.

Yes it is mental block thinking it was attached to the lathe.