PDA

View Full Version : Wiring help, please...

Marc Ward
10-21-2005, 9:52 PM
I am getting a new table saw on Monday. It is a Jet 3 horse, single phase, 230v cabinet saw. The saw comes WITHOUT a plug, there are three wires (black, green and white, I think).

I do not have a 23v outlet in my basement, but I just switched from a electric water heater to gas, so there is conduit run to where the old water heater was with wires sticking out. I assumed this was 230v...but there is only two wires in the metal conduit, very thick red and black. I was expecting three wires.

Is this 230v, and can I use it for my new saw? Oh, I also got a new dust collection system that is also 230v and I will need to run both machines at the same time. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Rob Russell
10-21-2005, 10:17 PM
230v machines only need the 2 hot wires to work. The green or bare conductor is an equipment grounding conductor and is there for safety purposes - it does not carry any current under normal circumstances.

You could pull the 3rd (insulated green - THHN/THWN) conductor through the conduit for your saw. The black and white conductors would go to the black and red hot conductors; the greens would connect.

Really pretty simple.

Rob

Rob Russell
10-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Oops - forgot the dust collector. I'd run a second, separate circuit for the DC.