PDA

View Full Version : Differences in dust collectors?

Juan Rivera
10-21-2005, 8:23 PM
I'll be purchasing a dust collector soon but would like to know the differences and or advantages between a cyclone D.C. and just the regular D.C. . This comparison should be made with both D.C.'s having the same motors and filters.

I am very much aware of the price difference but not of the effectiveness of of one versus the other.:confused:

Thanks!

Dennis McDonaugh
10-21-2005, 8:37 PM
Juan, You should really do a search to get a real feel for the differences. Long story short, there is no difference in effectiveness (fine dust collection) between a dust collector with a cannister filter and a cyclone. The bag type can't filter as fine a dust particle as the cannister. The cyclone has an easier to empty can instead of a bag and is usually more efficient at moving air so you can hook up more machines at one time. If you have the cash, I'd go with the cyclone.

Mike Weaver
10-21-2005, 9:05 PM
Juan, You should really do a search to get a real feel for the differences. Long story short, there is no difference in effectiveness (fine dust collection) between a dust collector with a cannister filter and a cyclone. The bag type can't filter as fine a dust particle as the cannister. The cyclone has an easier to empty can instead of a bag and is usually more efficient at moving air so you can hook up more machines at one time. If you have the cash, I'd go with the cyclone.

While in gereral I agree with Dennis (i.e. get the cyclone), I can't agree with the "no difference in effectiveness (fine dust collection)" assertion.

The canister filters I've seen are only efficient down to 2 microns while even the "generic" Torit style cartridges are efficient (99.95%) to 0.5 micron. Furthermore, I don't recall the efficiency at which they DO filter to 2 microns.

What's the difference you say? It's those fine particles that can't be filtered by your body and get lodged in your lungs that can supposedly do long term damage.

There's another reson to go cyclone versus cannister though, and that's dust separation efficiency. With a cyclone, probably over 90% of the chips/dust will be deposited in the barrel at the bottom and that means only 10% (or less!) will pass through to the filters.

I believe I read somewhere that a normal single stage DC will have something like 50% of the dust deposited in the bottom and that means the other half goes through the filter.

I know which filter I'd like to clean!

Anyway, a cannister filtered DC is certainly a step up from traditional bags in terms of efficiency and filter area, but IMHO a cyclone with cartridge filtration is superior, especially on the dangerous fine dust.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
-Mike