PDA

View Full Version : TroTec Speedy 300 80 watt (USED) or Epilog FusionM2 50 watt (NEW) Need Feedback!

Barton Scott
05-12-2017, 8:50 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted with advice and recommendations. So I have narrowed the search down to two machines. The specs. are below. I would like opinion on each. I like th Epilog Fusion M2 larger cutting area and the fact that they have alot of projects for school programs and kids to work on.

However, the Speedy 300 (with a smaller cutting area) has a much higher wattage. However, it is a USED machine with about 15 hours of use.

I would love to hear from folks about which is more important (larger cutting area or wattage) and understanding that this machine will be used in a high school to engrave water bottles, iPhone cases, make 3D signs.

Which vendor has the better laser technology (Epilog) or (TroTec)? Why?

Which has the better software that is easiest to use? Why?

Which machine is more dependable? Why?

Any other factors I am not considering that you think favors one vendor over another?

There are 300 kids of poverty depending on me making the wisest decision possible.

So the feedback from professionals who have lots of experience with Laser Engraving is essential.

1. Speedy 300 - 80 watt
- Rotary Attachment
- Air Assist
- Job Control Vision

2. Setup, Installation and Training

Final Price $24,990.00

However the unit is "open box" and has been used about 15 hours.

The other option I have is a brand new Epilog Fusion M2 50 watt with the following options:

- Rotary Attachment
- Air Assist
- Exhaust Blower
- Dual Source Capability
- 2 year warranty
- Camera Registration System (I have no idea what this is)

Their price is $25,200.00 for the new machine.

Dave Sheldrake
05-13-2017, 6:49 AM
I'd have to say the Trotec, the dual technology of the epilog is a waste of money (it just means you can fit a fibre source to it and gantry fibres under 500 watts are pretty pointless, slow as engravers go and you can get a fibre galvo cheap enough for less than the add-on fibre costs)

The only thing that would worry me is the use....15 hours...why did the previous owner only use it for 15 hours? is it a genuine 15 hours? does it come with any warranty? (when the tubes go pop they cost a LOT to get fixed with no warranty)

Cam registration is like a copy follow unit.....useful IF you have a use for it...a bit like edge detection on industrial lasers

On the speedy...I have a 300 here sat idle waiting for the tube repair...$6,500 to get a 120 watt unit returned and repaired...not worth it

All things being equal the Trotec is a better machine...the only caveats I would have are the above concerns

Barton Scott
05-13-2017, 8:01 AM
Thanks. That is one factor I did not consider. The cost of tube replacement.

Can anyone give me an idea how much a TroTect 80 watt tube is to replace vs. an Epilog 50 watt tube.

Do both manufacturers have the same failure rate on tubes?

Dave Sheldrake
05-13-2017, 10:47 AM
RF tubes fail, some quickly...some after 10,12,15 years....re-gas is not that expensive (RF tubes can be refilled) to actually replace them totally is costly though. not much difference between a 50 watt and an 80 watt on Re-gas prices.

I'm in the UK so costs tend to be higher here, Regas can be between £2,000 and £3,000 for an 80 watt here with total replacement around 3x regas price. We can get it done cheaper...but you know the story...buy cheap...buy twice ;)

On reliability...I've seen RF units fail in 300 hours...I've seen them last 15 years (and pretty much every figure in between)

Other parts are expensive as well....Lens's $300 (ish) although you can replace them with cheaper chinese versions (Made in the same factory) for as little as $30

I've had and have both Epilog and Trotec machines....can't really say I noticed much between equivalent versions to be honest but the Trotec probably had the edge for speed and reliability and overall ease of use

Keith Outten
05-13-2017, 11:13 AM
You might consider that the Trotec Speedy 300 80 watt has a ceramic tube. Its worth the time to go to the Trotec web site and get the facts on this tube technology and what it might mean to you as an owner. You will also find that Trotec machines are much cleaner to operate, that's been my experience.

You need at least 80 watts to take advantage of the engraving speed of a Trotec Speedy 300. Less power on any machine means you have to slow the machine down and that is not what you want to have to do. If you search our archives I have shared time metrics for 35, 60, 75 and 80 watt machines from Epilog, Xenetech and Trotec. The results based on the speed and power of these machines are pretty impressive when time is valuable. At the low end a 35 watt Epilog took 25 minutes to engrave the same sign that the 80 watt Trotec did in about five minutes based on hundreds of identical signs, not just a few.

Mike Null
05-13-2017, 12:24 PM
For what it's worth, my Speedy 300 will be 11 years old next month with only one week of down time. I had the tube rebuilt two years ago at $3000. Mine is 45 watts and I'm dying to have an 80 watt.