PDA

View Full Version : Forum is s l o w

Bill George
05-12-2017, 6:11 PM
I am on a lot of Forums this one is so slow, when I am typing I need to do so in slow motion or it misses what I am typing??? Never happens elsewhere. Almost like its key strokes being logged by .....

John K Jordan
05-12-2017, 6:21 PM
I am on a lot of Forums this one is so slow, when I am typing I need to do so in slow motion or it misses what I am typing??? Never happens elsewhere. Almost like its key strokes being logged by .....

Fairly snappy here. Did you try an trace route to see if there was a bottleneck somewhere between you and the SMC server? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314868/how-to-use-tracert-to-troubleshoot-tcp-ip-problems-in-windows

Also, look at the windows Task Manager to see if memory or CPU is choked. If you have a lot of programs running try closing things down and rebooting.

Check for a virus.

JKJ

Bill George
05-12-2017, 6:44 PM
Fairly snappy here. Did you try an trace route to see if there was a bottleneck somewhere between you and the SMC server? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314868/how-to-use-tracert-to-troubleshoot-tcp-ip-problems-in-windows

Also, look at the windows Task Manager to see if memory or CPU is choked. If you have a lot of programs running try closing things down and rebooting.

Check for a virus.

JKJ

Did the Task manager thing and I am an old time computer guy, not a virus running Nortons and this Is the Only place I have issues???

John K Jordan
05-12-2017, 8:15 PM
Did the Task manager thing and I am an old time computer guy, not a virus running Nortons and this Is the Only place I have issues???

Then it could be a logical connection between you and this. Tracert may tell you. If there is some link slow you may see timeouts in the chain.

JKJ

John Lifer
05-12-2017, 8:23 PM
I hit my satellite internet bandwidth limit last week. Full 8 days before month rolled over. Second time in a few months, keep having my desktop get hung up downloading an uodate and wasting a couple of gb here and a few there. It is normally slow, but when they restrict the bandwidth you can almost only do email. On one computer at a time....slower than dsl, slow as dialup! Dang! I'm waiting on the power company to start installing their new service in our area in the spring

Bill George
05-12-2017, 8:39 PM
John I had forgotten about tracert been a long time since I had to remember some DOS. Yes extreme delay, and I wish I could remember how to do a screen shot to capture a DOS screen. I logged in this time from a Bing search and its faster. Without logging in I get a different trace route path. I will try again just to see after I have logged in this way.....

Ok here is the tracert the ae-2-2. bear2. and on.... is not there when I am not logged in. Correction its there either way.

Mel Fulks
05-12-2017, 8:54 PM
"Remember me" check in stopped working several days ago ,so I have to keep signing in

Frederick Skelly
05-12-2017, 9:00 PM
"Remember me" check in stopped working several days ago ,so I have to keep signing in

Odd. It works for me.

OP: I use this and other sites. FWIW, I'm not experiencing the problem you are with speed. I hope you work it out.
Fred

Doug Griffith
05-12-2017, 9:12 PM
Connection speed shouldn't make a difference when typing into a typical form field because the page is already loaded locally. It's most likely AJAX running in the background that's spell checking as you type. I'd look for a way to dissable it under settings.

Bill George
05-12-2017, 9:21 PM
I will log in tomorrow using my Verizon phone as a hotspot and try the tracert again. Funny if is was a Virus why would just Sawmill Creek? I think its a tracking cookie sending info from this site only? I am on my Ipad now, no issues.

Bill George
05-12-2017, 9:24 PM
Doug is AJAX a site thing or MS?

John K Jordan
05-12-2017, 10:29 PM
John I had forgotten about tracert been a long time since I had to remember some DOS. Yes extreme delay, and I wish I could remember how to do a screen shot to capture a DOS screen. I logged in this time from a Bing search and its faster. Without logging in I get a different trace route path. I will try again just to see after I have logged in this way.....

Ok here is the tracert the ae-2-2. bear2. and on.... is not there when I am not logged in.

Yours shows about double the time of mine but it doesn't seem to be enough to result in the slowdown you mention. I see no slowdown at all. However, it has been about 30 years since I did or interpreted a route trace and I don't remember the causes or significance of repeating timeouts. (Actually, I don't remember much of anything!) Firewalls? Might be some other issue. Do you have another computer you can try, maybe someone nearby who goes through the same provider?

(BTW, tracert will look up a URL like www.sawmillcreek.org so you don't have to enter an IP address)

JKJ

Bill Jobe
05-12-2017, 11:10 PM
My phone does the same thing from time to time.
One thing I've noticed is Exchange Services keeps ramping up using a lot of battery, so I force it to stop. I also do a restart and the problem temporarily goes away.

Doug Griffith
05-13-2017, 12:58 AM
Ajax is a site thing. I just checked and the only Ajax that happens when typing in the reply field is a save every minute. If it was happening every character, you would most likely "feel" it.

Lee DeRaud
05-13-2017, 1:29 AM
SMC is ****ed due to a recent vBulletin "upgrade": there's a thread about it under 'Forum Support'.

Lee DeRaud
05-13-2017, 1:33 AM
And it took me four tries to make that post.

Lee DeRaud
05-13-2017, 1:34 AM
And I can't paste in a link to the thread because it looks like fast typing to the bug.

Bill George
05-13-2017, 8:09 AM
And I can't paste in a link to the thread because it looks like fast typing to the bug.

Thanks Lee and I see I have the spinning widget over Reply With Quote as noted over there....... So its not me. Looks like a "bug".

John K Jordan
05-13-2017, 8:55 AM
Thanks Lee and I see I have the spinning widget over Reply With Quote as noted over there....... So its not me. Looks like a "bug".

Bill,

I'm certainly not suggesting this is the problem here, but sometimes the reason for an odd problem can be traced to specifics of the user's computer. One general suggestion when posting about any kind of problem: Consider listing at minimum the computer platform (Mac, Win, Android), the OS (e.g. Win 10), and the browser (Firefox, Safari, etc), any 3rd party firewall active, and type and what version of antivirus running. When everyone gives this information the correlation may be obvious, say if the problem only affects those running Safari.

For a bunch of years I was a hard-core beta tester for a major software system and I've seen many very strange things. We suggested/required the user give the minimum platform information, plus a list of other things like version info, free memory, other software running, any recent system changes, and more. We also maintained a list of things to try, such as retest with a clean system: close all programs and reboot.

In this case, with software accessed by internet, I would check local firewall and close all browser tabs before the restart, trying with a different browser on the same computer, temporarily changing firewall and antivirus (perhaps to the Windows default), monitoring the CPU and internet activity with Task Manager, trying on an entirely different computer if possible, and perhaps more if I thought about it. However, I've been out of this business for years so my expertise is dated. Perhaps servers today can easily query the user's system for appropriate info - I have no idea.

JKJ

Bill George
05-13-2017, 9:09 AM
Apparently there was a Forum upgrade with issues and if you go over to the Support Forum and do some reading you will see my added post about the results of my tracert Trace Route . There is a company out in San Jose that is in my path Level 3 Communications.

Lee DeRaud
05-13-2017, 9:57 AM
[QUOTE=John K Jordan;2689641]I'm certainly not suggesting this is the problem here, but sometimes the reason for an odd problem can be traced to specifics of the user's computer.[\quote]True, but when the owner of the server says it's a bug...

Barry McFadden
05-13-2017, 6:54 PM
I thought it was just me!... I would be typing a response and look up and see a bunch of jibberish.....and yet I could type normally on any other website... glad to hear I'm not going senile just yet!!!

Bill George
05-13-2017, 7:39 PM
I thought it was just me!... I would be typing a response and look up and see a bunch of jibberish.....and yet I could type normally on any other website... glad to hear I'm not going senile just yet!!!

Yes when it only happens here.... you have to wonder. And this is not my first rodeo, I know what is normal and what is not. I am the guy who was happy with MS-DOS and took the first Windows. what was it? Came on floppy disks, don't remember if it was the 5.25 inch ones or the new ones.... 3.5 inch. Took it off and went back to DOS.

Barry McFadden
05-13-2017, 9:05 PM
Yes when it only happens here.... you have to wonder. And this is not my first rodeo, I know what is normal and what is not. I am the guy who was happy with MS-DOS and took the first Windows. what was it? Came on floppy disks, don't remember if it was the 5.25 inch ones or the new ones.... 3.5 inch. Took it off and went back to DOS.

The first Windows was 3.1 i think.... I actually have a computer that uses CPM operating system which was before DOS!... used 8" disks!!

Lee DeRaud
05-13-2017, 9:41 PM
The first Windows was 3.1 i think.... I actually have a computer that uses CPM operating system which was before DOS!... used 8.5" disks!!The first really useable one was 3.1. I tried 1.0 briefly...it was mostly a toy/experiment. Versions 2.0/2.1 were mostly bundled with apps that needed that level of graphic support. Version 3.0 was decent but was replaced rather quickly by 3.1.

John K Jordan
05-13-2017, 9:58 PM

I wonder how many are having this problem. I have seen no change in the forum response - it is "snappy", no hint of a slowdown or any issues when typing here. I'm using Win 10, Firefox.

Oh, one thing just occurred to me - which editor are you using when typing responses? Months ago I quit using the "Enhanced (full WYSIWYG)" editor and switched to the "Standard Editor". This solved a variety of input problems. Perhaps the forum software update introduced additional problems in the enhanced editor. Might be worth a try to switch. (The editor selection is under Settings, General Settings.)

JKJ

Lee DeRaud
05-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Oh, one thing just occurred to me - which editor are you using when typing responses? Months ago I quit using the "Enhanced (full WYSIWYG)" editor and switched to the "Standard Editor". This solved a variety of input problems. Perhaps the forum software update introduced additional problems in the enhanced editor. Might be worth a try to switch. (The editor selection is under Settings, General Settings.)Ok, the editor select thing seems to help, once I got it to take hold. (I think you need to log out and back in before it notices.) It would certainly explain why some people (including at least one moderator) are not seeing any problem. That said, I've never had a problem before with the WYSIWYG editor, but what do I know, I've only been here twelve years...

Did you also post this in the thread over on the Forum Tech Support forum? I'm not sure whoever is working the problem is monitoring this thread.

Mel Fulks
05-13-2017, 10:55 PM
Today the site is again "remembering " me after a few days of shunning me.... It's been rough

Keith Outten
05-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Our server administrator Aaron Koehl is monitoring the problem threads in the Support Forum.

Bill George
05-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Ok, the editor select thing seems to help, once I got it to take hold. (I think you need to log out and back in before it notices.) It would certainly explain why some people (including at least one moderator) are not seeing any problem. That said, I've never had a problem before with the WYSIWYG editor, but what do I know, I've only been here twelve years...

Did you also post this in the thread over on the Forum Tech Support forum? I'm not sure whoever is working the problem is monitoring this thread.

Ok I switched from WYSIWYG to standard, I think it helped. Thanks John.

Yes I remember the CPM days and my first (not CPM) computer was a Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 Model One, and with the expansion add on you could have both a 5.25 inch Floppy Drive and 16 or 32 K of memory and parallel port for adding a printer! What more could a person need??

John K Jordan
05-14-2017, 1:28 PM
Ok I switched from WYSIWYG to standard, I think it helped. Thanks John.

Yes I remember the CPM days and my first (not CPM) computer was a Tandy Radio Shack TRS-80 Model One, and with the expansion add on you could have both a 5.25 inch Floppy Drive and 16 or 32 K of memory and parallel port for adding a printer! What more could a person need??

Fantastic!

Times sure have changed! My own first "real" computer in the 70s was a SWTPC 6800, built from a kit, came with 2 K (not megs) memory. No disk storage of any kind available - I used punched paper tape in a refurbished teletype which also was my keyboard and printer. I eventually maxed it out with 56K of memory ($2000+), 8" floppy disk drives ($2300), a 10 MB hard disk ($1000), bubble memory, a B&W low-res graphics card, a 20 amp power supply, CRT terminal with a keyboard, clock and calendar, A/D-D/A, and 110baud telephone modem - all home- or kit-built and we had to write our own software. I eventually got one of the first IBM PCs with floppy disk drives and DOS. Now for way less money I just bought a laptop with high-res color screen, 1TB solid state drive, 16 G ram, access to more software than I can even imagine, and a battery that runs everything all day. So cheap I can finally afford woodworking/turning!

JKJ