PDA

View Full Version : Recycled 2x4 project

steven c newman
05-11-2017, 2:50 PM
Just what it says. I cleaned up the junk in the back yard, yesterday. Wound up with six pieces of 2x4, after cutting out the bad stuff in three longer boards..
Handsome devils, aren't they?
So, this morning I hauled these things down to the shop. I set the longer three aside, for now. I went to work on the others..
Edges needed to be removed, too much dings, dents, and round-over. Set the resaw jig up on the bandsaw..
And "peeled" about a 1/4" off the edge. I then got out the jointer..
And worked to joint the edge square and straight. And remove the saw marks...:D
Plane is an Ohio Tool Co. No. 0-7
I then found a straight piece of 3/4 scrap, and made two lines down the center of the edges. I needed to find the exact center, so I could resaw the boards into something a bit thinner.
Later, I'll go back and plane the sawn face smooth..
As for the longer three boards..
Might take a while.

Not sure what I might cobble together out of these, but it beats the other "option"
not that I'm cheap...just Frugal.
As for that old jointer plane making shavings..
Seemed to work just fine. I also rubbed the sole of the plane with an old candle, helped out.

Might stay tuned, not sure where this is going, just yet...:rolleyes:

Rick Malakoff
05-11-2017, 3:58 PM
Seems that no matter what you do you always have fun in the basement!
Rick

Stew Denton
05-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Hi Steven,

+1 on what Rick said. I know you will think of something. Your shop is looking pretty good, so it is going to be interesting what you come up with.

Stew

Mike Baker 2
05-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Nice. I'm looking for "reclaimable" lumber in my local area. Love taking old wood nobody wants and making something useful with it.
Good luck, whatever you decide to build.
Happy shavings.

James Pallas
05-13-2017, 1:08 PM
Steven, Never know what to expect from you. A few sliced up 2x'S and a Chippendale high boy may appear.:)
Jim

steven c newman
05-13-2017, 9:18 PM
I stopped in at Menards today, and picked a few 1xs out. Between the resawn stuff, and what I picked today.....might be a Pantry Cupboard for the Boss.....old one is too small, according to her....

Art Mann
05-13-2017, 10:42 PM
I buy good quality Southern Yellow pine construction lumber to make shop jigs, fixtures, work tables and other utilitarian things. It is always too wet and rough for my purposes. I let it dry for a few months and then mill it as if it were rough sawn lumber. For example, 2X4s end up as 1-3/8" X 3-3/8" but they are flat straight and smooth. I got started doing that when I salvaged some 5/4" PT deck planks from a replacement job and made a rolling ceramic smoker cart with them. It turned out great and you would never know what ugly salvage lumber was used to make it.

steven c newman
05-13-2017, 10:55 PM
Those three 2x4s had set in the back yard for a couple years, they USED to be rafters for a Gazebo I built. Wind took it done, left the best ones sit leaning against the shed for a long time. Was either burn them, or use them. I'm cheap..er...Frugal...so rather than BUY three more, I used what I already had.

David Eisenhauer
05-14-2017, 9:01 AM
I tend to rotate 2-3 "Stud Grade" 2x4's drying in the shop for use as needs come up. They are fairly inexpensive and don't take up much room.

steven c newman
05-17-2017, 7:24 PM
The other lumber in the Pantry Project is now in the shop. I also went and bought a new blade for the bandsaw. Plane right now is to glue up a few panels......pairs of 1 x 8 x 6' boards to form the sides. Need to glue up a top, and some stock for shelves. have a few other 1 x 4s for face frame and door work. Need to arrange enough room in the shop to do those glue ups.....right now the boards are getting "used to" the shop. Resaws may get glued up into panels for shelves...

May have to buy a few other boards.....stash of long pine is about gone...

steven c newman
05-19-2017, 7:34 PM
Cleaned off the bench...:eek:
2xs are to keep something up a bit..
So I could pass a few clamps under a panel glue up, or two..
had to wait until the glue set up on the first panel, before I could glue up the second one
Panels are 3/4" x 14-1/2" by 72". Have a Pantry Cupboard to make, needed these for the sides.
Will do for a start...

steven c newman
05-21-2017, 2:52 PM
Requirements for this project:

72" tall, plus the top shelf
31" wide counting the top shelf. May keep the overhang at 1" at the sides and front. No overhang on the back
Fixed shelves, mainly to store can goods and cereal boxes. Dado or just screw through the sides and cover the screws with plugs. Needs to be solid, both for the weight inside, and for having to move the cupboard as needed.
Plywood back. Can be screwed to the shelves to help keep them straight.
Two Doors. May have an overlap lip.
Face frame for the front.

Haven't had any wood about a drawer in the bottom.....last pantry's door was packed too full, and now can't be opened.....not sure I want that, this time around.

The Boss will most likely want this painted....I'll just hand her the brush. I merely have to have it "paint ready", is all.

Bottom edges of the side panels will get a cut-out near the floor, to make "feet". May carry that detail around to the front.

Shelves are looking like a glue up, cut to length sort of process...have to allow for a rebate down the back of the sides for the back to sit in.

Haven't got anything on paper, yet...all in me head right now.

Stay tuned.....

steven c newman
05-21-2017, 5:01 PM
Used a #11 Junior Jack plane to clean up a few pine boards..
Resawn face, and..
And the non-sawn face. Can't use the BIG planes..
Just a hair too long. I used the Junior Jack at an angle ...
About like this. Helped when going over all them knots.
Didn't take all that long to do 6 boards..
And get them all to S4S. Will be parts for the doors' panels to sit in. Rails, I think they are called....

Jim Koepke
05-21-2017, 9:52 PM
Haven't got anything on paper, yet...all in me head right now.

My thought is paper is made of wood pulp. So the middle men are cut out and the layout is done on the wood. Any mistakes are easy to erase with an electric eraser or a smoothing plane to allow for changes.

Sometimes paper gets used for a quick sketch to determine cutting, dimensions or fancy joints.

jtk

steven c newman
05-22-2017, 9:50 AM
Or, if I need to figure out a spacing of drawers/shelves. or how a door will get built.

steven c newman
05-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has come up with a few "details" for the Pantry Project..

Next payday, I go out and buy a sheet of 3/4" plywood....and have the BORG do two cuts....3 pcs @ 48" x 33". I can then cut one or two of those into shelves, add a pine edge. maybe something like 3/4 x 30" x 14" deep. Depending on the pine edge piece.

Face frames do NOT need to be 3-1/3" wide along the door, top and bottom..maybe, but not the sides. I can resaw one of the 1 x 4 x 6' into the two sides, another to make the top and bottom pieces. I have three of the 1x4s.....maybe some webframes to tie the top and bottom of the sides together. I have those resawn pieces..the shorter ones, to help build the frames. Longer ones will help build the two doors.

All I have to do is figure out what style of doors to make.
Good thing I have a new bandsaw blade....

steven c newman
05-23-2017, 5:05 PM
Ok, got some resaws done, once a new blade was on, and the bandsaw set up.
Resaw/rip a 1x 4 x6' into two stiles. Need to get them clamps off, someday..
Crosscut another 1x4 into a pair of 30" rails...saw is the one I had rebuilt from two junker saws. Saw cuts fast and straight,too.
Joints will be half laps...usual suspects got used..
Some took a bit more work...
Until a dry fit said it was good enough...
One of the stiles needed a bit of smoothing..
6' of board, clamped to 5' of bench....
Might have to plane these as well..
Parts for two webframes. Resawed the last of the 1 x 4 x 6, AFTER I crosscut these to length...much easier that way...
usual suspects for today's job.
back is killing me, think I'll call it a day. Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-24-2017, 2:01 PM
Web frame parts have been jointed, using a Stanley #5-1/2 for the long parts, and a Millers Falls #11 for the short parts. Sawmarks are gone, parts are as close to being the same size as I can make them.
Short parts needed tenons..
Long parts got a mortise on each end
Once I got all the corners done, a dry fit was done for each frame..
Mortise jig also acts as a third hand. Checked for square, and marked the stiffeners for length..
Stifeners get pilot holes and countersinks, spread some glue around all the tenons, and the undersides of the stiffeners..
Bottom frame. A 3/4" thick plywood shelf will sit on the non-stiffener side. needs to support a lot of can goods....
Top frame only needs one. The top of the case goes over this frame.

Waiting on the glue to dry, and maybe then I can assemble the face frame? IF I can find enough room....
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Now have the face frame in the clamps. LOTS of cussing this time.....Trying to clamp a half lapped joint that is 3/4" thick, with a clamp that is 24" long.....two per corner. I happened to find enough smaller clamps to do the two laps at the bottom...but, even that was a bit too much fun. Letting that sit overnight. Frame is 72" tall, by 30" wide....bit of fun moving THAT around in the Dungeon.....add those 24" "F" style clamps at the top....yeah.
Maybe better luck tomorrow...

lowell holmes
05-24-2017, 10:46 PM
I tend to rotate 2-3 "Stud Grade" 2x4's drying in the shop for use as needs come up. They are fairly inexpensive and don't take up much room.
I also keep an 8' 1X12 in the garage.

steven c newman
05-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Trying to hide from Mr. Gumption, today. I went out this morning, stopped at a Garage Sale and bought a $1 , 2" wide mushroomed chisel, no handle. Then drove on downtown and picked up a couple boxes of screws. Now that I'm broke, I might have to work on this pantry project today.....maybe after Lunch?

steven c newman
05-25-2017, 9:09 PM
I did get some better shots of the face frame glue up...
Testing the fit of the top webframe....one of the side panels was moved to where I could check it's fit, as well
And the bottom. Bottom edge is 5" off the "floor". That way, I don't have to bend over so far , to get my box of Cheerios out...
Need to find my counter bore bits, and the plug cutter. Fancy joints and hard, heavy use do not play well together. Screw and glue, cover the outside screws with matching plugs. Boss wants to paint this, anyway...meh. I'll just hand her the brush, and stomp off to the shop...

Hoping to get a sheet of plywood for the shelves this weekend. Then the build can resume...

Mike Baker 2
05-25-2017, 9:46 PM
Everything is looking good. I'm enjoying watching it all come together.

steven c newman
05-26-2017, 12:33 AM
Running out of room in the Dungeon..
Stands 6' tall, can't even get it all in one shot....
Bottom frame is set low enough, that a 3/4" plywood shelf can fit here....
Top frame is flush to the top of the sides, will use the frame to attach the top
up in the "Nose bleed" section... more room for those tall boxes of cereal.....or can goods.
Have to counter bore for screws along where the face frame meets the sides. then add matching plugs....
Will try to get the top made......waiting on a sheet of 3/4" plywood, for the shelves and the back. More all that up to the kitchen...let the Boss paint it. I will go and make a pair of doors while she does that.

steven c newman
05-27-2017, 4:43 PM
Might see IF I can get something done...later. Have the 1 x 10 marked out to cut into the two halves of the top. Need to cut them, and then do a glue up.

Just enjoying the weekend, right now.

steven c newman
05-28-2017, 1:22 PM
I can't seem to stay out of the shop, even on a Holiday Weekend
Disston D-8, 8ppi. I had already marked the cut lines the other day, decided to saw them.
Once the 10" or so of waste was removed from between the two parts....(handsaw = Cardio Workout)
Due to space restrictions, I had left the Mortise jig in place. i also used it to crosscut the boards to length, then ran a small Jointer plane along the mating edges...( Stanley #5-1/2, T-17)
Then check to see how the glue joint will look..
There isn't any glue in that joint. Close enough to spread a bit of Elmer's, and clamp up..
Before the clamps, I had moved the two pieces back and forth a couple inches, to "moosh" the glue better. It also held them in place until I could add the clamps..

As for holding the plank still, long enough to joint an edge..
Other end rests right on the bench.

Have to go to a cookout..back later.

Stew Denton
05-28-2017, 2:15 PM
+1 to what Mike wrote. Judging from the number of folks that read and follow the build, I would guess a lot of us enjoy following these types of builds.

Stew

Jim Koepke
05-28-2017, 2:44 PM
+1 to what Mike wrote. Judging from the number of folks that read and follow the build, I would guess a lot of us enjoy following these types of builds.

Stew

+1 to that.

Many ideas and techniques can be derived from seeing what others are making.

jtk

Stew Denton
05-28-2017, 7:07 PM
Jim,

Exactly so, I read various steps and look at the pictures carefully to see what I can learn. Your potting bench tread was another example where I read it quite carefully. By the way, are you already building stuff for the farmers market, and are you building another potting bench this year?

Regards,

Stew

Jim Koepke
05-29-2017, 6:14 AM
Jim,

Exactly so, I read various steps and look at the pictures carefully to see what I can learn. Your potting bench tread was another example where I read it quite carefully. By the way, are you already building stuff for the farmers market, and are you building another potting bench this year?

Regards,

Stew

We are not selling at the farmers market this year due to my surgery. That set me back a bit.

Currently I am building a bookshelf with some drawers. I did post one image of some of the work in a different thread, "Any Old Draftsmen out there?":

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?254106-Any-Old-Draftsmen-out-there/page2

I haven't been taking pictures of the work in progress. It will have three drawers but most people will only notice two.

jtk

steven c newman
05-29-2017, 1:32 PM
Plywood has been bought....need to get it into the shop......forget how heavy a full sheet of 3/4" plywood is.....had the place make a couple cuts, to get it to a more manageable size, including fitting inside my van. I even found a stack of the stuff, sitting there perfectly FLAT. Stack next to it was curved up a bit. Flat sheet of plywood...at the blue BORG? How'd that happen...

Need to get the three pieces down to the shop, and start making shelves. No fancy joinery, I'll just add a cleat, and attach the shelf to each side. That way, I can move them, if needed. Just remove four screws and slide it up or down as needed. Pins are nice..until they fall out and get lost......BTDT.

Rest up a bit, before I do a little shop work....trying to get out of mowing the yard...

steven c newman
05-29-2017, 8:47 PM
Pizza and Beer for supper tonight. While waiting on the delivery guy to show up, I took the top out of the clamps, cut the top to the sizes needed. A bit of plane work to flatten the top..
Also planed the end grain with a block plane. beveled the edges. Used a quarter to layout the front two corners, and beltsander them..
drilled slotted pilot holes, and attached the top with screws..
Screws go up through the slotted holes in the webframe, and into the top. 2 front, 2 back, 1 in each end.
maybe tomorrow afternoonish.....I can start cutting this down into shelves..
well, Pizza is here, beer is getting warm.....call it a day...

steven c newman
05-30-2017, 6:43 PM
For those still following along. I don't handsaw plywood panels....takes too long, ttends to be too hard on my saws. And, on my COPD....

Anyway, cleared a BIG spot on the bench, still wasn't enough. Somehow clamped the plywood panel in place long enough to cut a shelf out..
Used a spacer bar to elevate the panel a bit, hate when a saw hits my bench...Got it cut to size, both length and width. Dropped it in place..
Add screwed it down. made a few cleats.....
Two screws into slotted holes, one cleat on each side. Bottom of the shelf is 14" above the bottom shelf
Next shelf. It gets a cleat along the back edge, case's back will be screw to that cleat.
I added a thin strip of pine to the front edge with glue only. The wider board is a clamping caul until the glue dries
Got a third shelf out of the first panel of plywood,....not much left...
Might be a good spot for this?
An idea of how much room there was today..

This was after I had cut that strip off that is laying on the workmate. Vise helps out holding the cutoff from falling to the floor. Saw is a 6-1/2" SKIL saw. Hey...it IS a vintage saw, right?
Taking a supper break, deciding whether to do a bit more. And determine the spacing for the rest of the shelves.

Stay tuned.

steven c newman
05-31-2017, 1:59 PM
Did just enough to be dangerous today...and run out of screws.

Installed #3 shelf.....something didn't look ..right. Got to checking...left side was higher than the right side? Grrrrr
Re-checked #2 shelf.....yep. It was about an 1/8" higher on the left.....by the time the next cleats were in place....#3 was 1/4" higher. Raised the right side on #3.....was unable to get to #2's cleat.. #3 is now about...1/16" higher on the right, I think I can live with that. Will keep an eye on the next two sets of cleats. Case will get just five shelves.

New camera....the card was full of someone else's vacation pictures...deleted all but one of the 135+ pictures of Tybee Island......the one I did not delete?
Just an OLD office chair. I don't carve. Anyone care to try to make one of these?

Mike Baker 2
05-31-2017, 2:07 PM
Roll with it.
Every time I try to do shelves, I always get something wrong on one side and have to fiddle everything around, or start over.
BTW, that chair rocks.

Jim Koepke
05-31-2017, 8:20 PM
One of my shelf making experiences had the dado on one side off by ~3/4". Since it was pine and a long shelf I just muscled it in to place.

I have since taken to putting the sides back to back before marking the dados and checking a few times during progress. Most alignment errors now are small from a saw being on the wrong side of a line and easily corrected.

jtk

steven c newman
06-01-2017, 2:08 PM
Not much room in the shop.....have to use up a box of screws, just to have room for the next box.......

Might get the last two shelves cut today......and maybe installed. back will be cut to fit, but left off...until the case makes it upstairs.....THEN I can add the back. Boss can paint it, and load it up..while I go and build the doors...

Pat Barry
06-01-2017, 3:34 PM
Did just enough to be dangerous today...and run out of screws.

Installed #3 shelf.....something didn't look ..right. Got to checking...left side was higher than the right side? Grrrrr
Re-checked #2 shelf.....yep. It was about an 1/8" higher on the left.....by the time the next cleats were in place....#3 was 1/4" higher. Raised the right side on #3.....was unable to get to #2's cleat.. #3 is now about...1/16" higher on the right, I think I can live with that. Will keep an eye on the next two sets of cleats. Case will get just five shelves.
Hey steven, if the cleats are just screwed in place, why not remove and do them correctly? Just a thought...

steven c newman
06-01-2017, 3:43 PM
I did....Just enough to get them level..

steven c newman
06-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Ok, got the last of the shelves done. Cut to size...
Nice when there is a factory edge to reference off of....got out the saw guide..
The offset matches the distance between the edge of the foot, and the kerf. Guide has a cleat set at 90 degrees to the guide's edge. A C clamp to keep it still...
Got two shelves cut out. 3/4" x 13-3/8" x 27-3/8" Still had a small panel left over. Trimmed it for length.

A line of glue on the cleats, drill a few pilot holes and screw the shelves down...
Like the other shelves, there is a nailer along the back edge of each shelf. The panel behind the case...
Goes up here. The rest of the back needs cut to size, yet..
Right now, it is 36" wide, needs to get to 27-3/8" wide. 48" long, means I need to clean the bench off, again..

First off, that case needs to travel up a set of stairs to the Kitchen, and OUT of my shop. I can then cut the back piece, and carry it upstairs to install it. Then, while the Boss is paintint the case, I can sneak back down tothe shop, and build the doors. Glue up three 1 x10 x 6' into a panel. then split it in the middle. Stanley 45 to make a "lap" joint. Finish up by cutting to final width, counting the hinges. Then install. by then, the Boss should have the Pantry filled up.

Stay tuned, almost done...

steven c newman
06-03-2017, 4:25 PM
Case has been moved upstairs to the Kitchen.....need to adjust one shelf, and finish the back. letting the Boss paint it, before it gets set into it's new home.

Need to glue up three 1 x 10 x 6' boards into a panel. Split the panel down the center. After the lap joint is milled, I can cut each door for final width on the hinge sides.

Six hinges? May go with a fancy surface mount, as I am not that good at hinges...Just shime the bottom a bit, install the hinges, remove the shim. Done. Debating on a latch of some kind.....
At least it is where it can be painted. With it out of my shop, I have room to do the last few items..

steven c newman
06-04-2017, 1:46 PM
Well, hauled tools upstairs, and got set up for cutting and fitting the last of the back to this thing. Cleaned the saw bench off. It sits out on the back patio,,,,I let the wind take care of sawdust..

Went the haul the 3/4" x 3' x 4' panel up the stairs from the shop......about the third step up..I found the sill plate for the floor joists, hard enough to see stars, and almost knock me out.....from there on, I was no longer in the mood to "play"

Panel didn't want to sit on the saw bench, wanted to twist and flop around.....not in the mood..two pilot holes, because the screws didn't want to start, grrrr, screwed the panel down tight to the bench....
measured how far from the right, Factory Edge to where I needed to cut. Chalk line will mark a decent enough line..
A "Strait Line" in fact. I am too out of shape to handsaw this sort of thing, so..
Hey, it is a cordless, handsaw, right? Blade might be a wee bit dull...

I used a large Try Square to mark where the centers of the webframes are, on the sides of the case. Hard to see the frames through the plywood...

Used my foot to raise the plywood panel up to where it needed to be, transfered the frame mark, and drilled a pilot hole. Then it was a matter of adding a screw or three
Not too bad, an air gap vent, for when the GrandBRATS slam the doors.

As for what this pantry will replace...
Might be 10 years old? Made it for another kitchen, a long time ago....
New Pantry's back will be facing that wall.

Now up to the Boss to load it up, paint it up, and move it to it's new home. I have doors to make.....

Head and neck hurt, I need a nap.

steven c newman
06-04-2017, 9:11 PM
Got the head checked out at the ER a bit ago.....MONSTER headache, worst than most hangovers I've had.....Nothing cracked, brain is fine, neck has a strain. Big bump on the top of me head. Dr. Feelgood is in, means no booze for tonight.

Monday, the shop is usually closed.....beginning to think Sundays will need to be.

Until the next payday, then I can get some lumber, and make the doors. Need to buy the hinges, too.

Will see about having my grandson bring a "Bumpcap" home from where he works. And make a "Hard Hat Area" sign for the shop's door...

Mike Baker 2
06-04-2017, 9:22 PM
Feel better!

Jim Koepke
06-05-2017, 1:21 AM
Here's hoping all is well with the old noggin.

jtk

steven c newman
06-05-2017, 8:34 PM
Neck is a bit stiff. Hangover kind of headache is slowly going away.

The Boss has moved the Panrty to it's new home, and loaded it up..
Hard to get the whole thing in one picture. Floor to top of the top is 73".

Now I need to make the doors......Boss is still deciding on a colour for it....

steven c newman
06-07-2017, 12:52 PM
The Boss also is trying to decide on the hinges.....might take awhile. Colour for the paint will match the rest of the cupboards. Knobs will match, as well.

steven c newman
06-19-2017, 7:19 PM
Boss has picked out the hinges and the latch.....pair of 1 x 10 x 72" Pine boards are waiting to come into the shop....Thunderstorm right now is slowing that up. Need to pick which one to rip in the middle. The other one will get glued to one of the "Halves", and the one I had on hand will glue up to the second half. Resize for finished width, counting a "lip" where the two doors meet.

might get this done by the weekend? Then a few rehabs, while I decide what to do with the new wood stash..
Mainly Maple, with some Poplar thrown in....1/2 a Pickup truck load.

Mike Baker 2
06-19-2017, 8:21 PM
Nice, both the pantry and the "new" wood.

steven c newman
06-21-2017, 2:34 PM
Door work today, one 1 x 10 cut to length, and then ripped for width.
Another 1 x10 cut to length..
Well, there goes the neighborhood, until the glue cures, added cauls to keep things flat...
Need to cut the third 1 x 10 to length..
Final width of the two doors will come from cutting the wider boards. Narrow boards will be the center. When the doors are closed, will look like just three boards.
Waiting on the glue to cure....stay tuned...

steven c newman
06-21-2017, 7:12 PM
Door #1 is out of the clamps. Needs the sawn edge jointed straight and saw-mark free. Since I rehabbed a No.8 Jointer plane, might as well USE it..
Leg vise & Crochet. Blank is 61" long. Finally got a shaving the length of the edge..
Seemed to work just fine. Heavy thing, though.

Ok, unable to wait of those NEW plough planes, I went and used a 1920s era plane..
Stanley No. 45, Type 20 SW. Had a little wider cutter than I needed, but I was able to set the fence enough for a test run...
This is where door #2 will meet up with Door #1. Goal is for the two narrow boards to look like a single board when the doors are latched shut. Wider sides will get "T" hinges, after I adjust for final width
Just could not wait on those new & improved plough planes.....:rolleyes:

Well, I hear a couple Guinness Draughts calling me name.....shop is done for today..;)

steven c newman
06-22-2017, 12:52 PM
Well....took two tries to size the door to it's new home. Squared one end, carry the thing up to the Pantry, test fit....mark a new cut line. Used a couple planes to flatten the surface on the door..
Then ease the edges with a block plane. Carry the door back up to the Pantry Cupboard..door fits! Started to install the hinges....first two went on fine, no real issues..
Came time to install the third (bottom) hinge....I can't kneel on my knees anymore, decided a stool would work to sit on......."that will leave a mark.."
Plastic stool broke as soon as I sat down on it...I hit the corner of the Kitchen Island with my shoulder, and then found the floor.....then a few minutes to somehow stand back up. Went and got a better chair to sit on while I installed the third hinge..
I let the Boss clean the place up. Had to keep moving, lest things stiffen up....
Went to the shop SLOWLY.....cleared the bench..
Needed to trim the LAST 1 x 10 to length..
Then a jointer plane along the best of the edges...
I used both the #0-7 and the "new" No.8. Shoulder like the 0-7 better. Had to clean out the nozzle on the glue bottle BEFORE I could glue two boards up, yeah, been one of THEM days..
I slid the mess as close to the til as I could, and then added clamps. I worked my way along away from the til. I adjusted for a decent glue line as I went along.
Still needed a few cauls..
The one closest to the camera had a problem..
No room for my fat body to get through there. Had to hunt up a different clamp. Some old welding "C" clamp was used. NOW I can get through there.
More things...I thought I had bought 6 hinges....turns out I only bought 4. Grrrrrr, another trip to the BORG.
Waiting now on the glue to cure out, a shoulder to stop hurting, and the weather to cool down a bit.

steven c newman
06-22-2017, 10:10 PM
Would be nice to get this project done.....so I can start going through that double stack of Lumber I brought home. I thought I merely got some Maple and Poplar......spotted a few of Cherry in the pile.

Getting itchy to start on that pile.....need to clear the decks for action. Maybe even start a new thread......

BTW: I used that rehabbed Stanley No.8 to flatten that door suface today.....NICE! There was one spot where it skipped over....a different "No.8" took over...a Millers Falls No. 8. Didn't even need to sand the door panel. Hope Door #2 is the same.

steven c newman
06-23-2017, 3:01 PM
Ok, got a little bit done, before the shoulder stiffened up.

Panel is out of the clamps. Hauled it upstairs to get the sizes marked for length and width.

Crosscut for length, bandsaw to rip to width. Need to rest up the shoulder for awhile, before I start pushing them big planes around....both edges need jointed, one needs a lip done with the Stanley 45. Got the correct hinges today...BORG seems to think they are Gold plated. They didn't even come with screws! Where the shoulder hit the corner of the Kitchen Island, on the way to the floor, there is a BIG mark...kind of sore today.

Maybe after supper, I can see about jointing an edge, or two. Need to plane the glue joint a bit, too. We'll see.....

steven c newman
06-23-2017, 5:35 PM
Pushed around a few planes..
A No.8..
And the 0-7....
Edges jointed...
Millers Falls No. 8 to plane the glue lines...
Used the old-fashioned plough plane..
And eased the edges..
Stanley 60-1/2 Low angle block plane...after a couple trips to the Kitchen and back, checking and adjusting the fit..
Got the door installed. Wood working part is done,I'll let the Boss paint it to match existing....

steven c newman
06-23-2017, 5:37 PM
Hinges helped..
So does a latch..
Boss can paint it to match the existing, IF she wants to...
I think I can call this completed.....

Rick Malakoff
06-23-2017, 6:16 PM
Good looking pantry, Steven. Are you going to leave it natural?

steven c newman
06-23-2017, 6:23 PM
The Boss wants it painted to match the other cabinets....I"ll hand her a brush, and head for the shop.

Thanks for looking in.

steven c newman
06-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Well, almost. Boss found a pair of "Satin Nickle Finish knobs she liked...A close match to what is on the rest of the cabinet doors. Installed the two ball-like knobs about halfway between the latch and the middle hinges.

Once she paints the Pantry...THEN I can call it completed......