PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for used DJ-20 jointer?

Howard Pollack
05-10-2017, 5:16 PM
I have a line on a good used DJ-20 8" jointer. Can folks suggest what a fair price would be? Thanks.
-Howard

Dimitrios Fradelakis
05-10-2017, 6:14 PM
If it's in good condition with no warped beds or fence I would say around the $600.00 mark.

Mike Kees
05-10-2017, 8:57 PM
Where I live that is a one thousand dollar machine.Where you are that would probably be at the high end for a used machine in pristine like new condition. What is the owner asking ?

Phillip Mitchell
05-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Condition is everything. You have to factor in the overall condition of the machine as it appears and also consider what kind of life it's had (used by a knowledgeable amateur or beat to hell in a cabinet shop.) How well the machine is currently setup would also factor somewhat into the price I was willing to pay. If the seller had everything setup co-planer, sharp knives, tables were dead flat, and the fence operated and locked properly then I'd be willing to pay a little more for that just based on the setup time that will likely save you once you get it home (provided you transport it carefully.)

I would say that for a machine that needs little to nothing to get it up and running properly in your shop $600 would be a really nice deal. Around $900 would be tops for me with a machine that was immaculate, close by, and if I really needed an 8" jointer. Location could play a part in prices varying as well.

You can get a brand new Grizzly G0490 delivered to your door for $1050, which is for all practical purposes, the same jointer as a DJ-20.

I paid $800 for my Invicta DJ-20 and feel like I overpaid just a little, but I was in need of an 8" jointer when I found it and it has served me very well, so I don't sweat the little bit I may have saved for waiting even longer for a used DJ-20 in my area to pop up.

In my experience, most used tools require time, money, and frustration to varying degrees. Which one do you want spend less of?

Steve Roxberg
05-11-2017, 11:37 AM
I paid $400 for mine, which was very fair. I feel like around Iowa they are worth up to $800 in excellent shape, down to maybe $600. That said they must sell highers since I've seen a DJ15 advertised for $800.

Cary Falk
05-11-2017, 12:21 PM
This is a Delta machine. Parts are out there but you may have to hunt. This is not like a DeWalt RAS where you go into knowing you will have to search but there isn't anything new as a alternative. There are so may options for good jointers(new and used). May not be a huge consideration for you but it is something to think about when you consider price.

John Piwaron
05-11-2017, 1:36 PM
$2,000 ;)

I have one of those and that's what I'd like to get for it if I were to sell it. But honestly, unless I got out of woodworking altogether I'm not going to sell it for any price. Well, not any price anyone would consider reasonable.

FWIW, after reading through the other posts in this thread I'd have to say that I'm in the knowledgeable amateur category. All my machines look new if maybe a little dusty. All are setup correctly. I don't abuse anything. Whomever gets my stuff someday is going to be getting a deal.

andrew whicker
05-11-2017, 2:45 PM
In Utah: ~$1000k in good condition

Chris Hachet
05-11-2017, 4:02 PM
In Ohio probably about $800. IMHO I would spend the extra and get a new machine from the Griz vs buying a used DJ20. That being said my Powermatic 60 was used and a very nice machine it is.

Larry Edgerton
05-11-2017, 4:25 PM
I get a kick out of people knocking the Delta DJ 20. As far as I am concerned its all hear say. I had one for 20 years, it never broke and after the initial setup it never needed adjusting. That was in a commercial shop that used it very hard indeed. It paid for itself many times over, perhaps more than any machine I have ever bought new, and when I sold it with Esta knives in it for $750 I felt that it was a good deal for both of us. I have several friends in the business that have or have had a DJ, and all of their opinions of the machine would mirror my own.

Cary Falk
05-11-2017, 7:19 PM
Larry,
You bought your DJ-20 new. You know it's history and you probably took care of it. We are talking about a tool with an unknown history. It could be any brand. Things can be missed upon inspection. Things can have a shotty repair to get it sold. You can't just go to Delta like you can go to Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly, etc to get parts. If Ereplacemetparts or Partspro does have the part for Delta it is going to be expensive. There is always ebay or owwm but finding the part will take awhile. I bought a used Unisaw, I put it through its paces. I didn't find the issues until I completely dissembled it. My fault completely. People need to take into account the worst case scenario when buying used equipment, especially with Delta. Most people still think Delta is still this great company that it once was and think they can safely buy anything Delta.

Cary

Chris Hachet
05-11-2017, 9:47 PM
I get a kick out of people knocking the Delta DJ 20. As far as I am concerned its all hear say. I had one for 20 years, it never broke and after the initial setup it never needed adjusting. That was in a commercial shop that used it very hard indeed. It paid for itself many times over, perhaps more than any machine I have ever bought new, and when I sold it with Esta knives in it for $750 I felt that it was a good deal for both of us. I have several friends in the business that have or have had a DJ, and all of their opinions of the machine would mirror my own.I am not knocking it...at 800 for a Powermatic I may well have bought a new Griz also.

David Kumm
05-12-2017, 12:47 AM
I don't think the DJ 20 is anywhere near the old cast iron 8" jointers in quality but they are pretty decent. Sold for 1500-1700 in the 1990s, had decent grained cast iron- not always as flat as I would like - but decent for the price. Motor was a Marathon US made one. I would take a used machine I could see and measure for about the same price as a new equivalent from China. Mainly because the cast iron is done moving and the motor is better if not abused. These machines are not like repairing the space shuttle. If the main castings aren't cracked, fence is straight and square, and motor runs, there isn't much that can't be fixed for less than buying replacements from the manufacturer. Delta always hosed you for parts as do most others. I've got a wide variety of machines from the 1930s to early 2000s and parts are less an issue than remembering how to reassemble, and old cast iron is usually ( always ) better than new. Since a jointer is 95% about cast iron and quality of cutterhead, I am more afraid of new low end unseen than older I can check. There is no way a $1000 machine made today has better components than a $1500 machine 20 years ago ( not electronic ). Dave

Chris Hachet
05-12-2017, 10:19 AM
I don't think the DJ 20 is anywhere near the old cast iron 8" jointers in quality but they are pretty decent. Sold for 1500-1700 in the 1990s, had decent grained cast iron- not always as flat as I would like - but decent for the price. Motor was a Marathon US made one. I would take a used machine I could see and measure for about the same price as a new equivalent from China. Mainly because the cast iron is done moving and the motor is better if not abused. These machines are not like repairing the space shuttle. If the main castings aren't cracked, fence is straight and square, and motor runs, there isn't much that can't be fixed for less than buying replacements from the manufacturer. Delta always hosed you for parts as do most others. I've got a wide variety of machines from the 1930s to early 2000s and parts are less an issue than remembering how to reassemble, and old cast iron is usually ( always ) better than new. Since a jointer is 95% about cast iron and quality of cutterhead, I am more afraid of new low end unseen than older I can check. There is no way a $1000 machine made today has better components than a $1500 machine 20 years ago ( not electronic ). DaveAgreed, and I am down to only two imported machines in my shop, everything else is ARN. At the same time, my shop could burn to the ground tonight and I could very happily make sawdust with the nice Asian stuff available.

I still stand by my comment...I would buy a new Grizzly over an $800 DJ-20. At $600-700 is is pretty much an even choice, and at $500-600 it is easily the DJ 20.

One has to figure in travel costs, belts, bearings, blades, time to refurbish, et al with an older machine IMHO. I am getting ready to get a nice planer and I may very well go with an Asian machine.

Eric Keller
05-12-2017, 12:10 PM
I want to buy a planer/jointer combo, so I looked into selling my DJ20. It's head and shoulders above any 8" Chinese jointer I have ever seen. But I can see not wanting to spend $800 and having to work on it. Of course, it's quite possible you are going to have to work on the Chinese jointer sooner than you might want.

I really love using the DJ20, it's so solid. I bought it used as part of a package deal, so there's no way to say how much I spent on it. Haven't done this mostly because I'm afraid to tell the spouse I want to spend that much money.

Chris Hachet
05-12-2017, 4:46 PM
I want to buy a planer/jointer combo, so I looked into selling my DJ20. It's head and shoulders above any 8" Chinese jointer I have ever seen. But I can see not wanting to spend $800 and having to work on it. Of course, it's quite possible you are going to have to work on the Chinese jointer sooner than you might want.

I really love using the DJ20, it's so solid. I bought it used as part of a package deal, so there's no way to say how much I spent on it. Haven't done this mostly because I'm afraid to tell the spouse I want to spend that much money.I am not meaning to question or sound combative but your seriously that impressed with the Delta Unit and have used the comparable Grizzly unit?

That is very high praise for a DJ 20 jointer!

My wife and I have always had a deal that money i make extra for extra overtime or side work I can keep and spend however I want. I never try to hide anything from her or lie to her and always let her know when I am going to buy something. She has never turned me down under those terms...I have brought home a 55 Chevy and all kinds of other crazy things and she has never complained.

That being said, yeah at some point...she is like...are you sure you need more tools...?

Chris

Sam Beagle
05-12-2017, 8:36 PM
I just paid 400 yesterday for a nearly new condition dj20

Chris Hachet
05-12-2017, 8:42 PM
You sir got an awesome deal!

Jeff Ramsey
05-13-2017, 9:37 AM
I was looking to upgrade my early 90's DJ-15 to an older American made DJ-20, when a '76 37-315 came up. I decided to buy that and restore it. The older DJ-20's are great machines; generally superior than what you can buy new today in a similar price range. I would upgrade to a DJ-30 if an older one was available near me. I would also keep my DJ-15 had I the shop room but I don't, so it's for sale. Nice, older DJ-20's go for around $1,000 around here. Here's my restored 37-315 (rebuilt motor, new cutterhead bearings and knives). It cuts hardwood like butter.

Chris Hachet
05-13-2017, 9:54 AM
I was looking to upgrade my early 90's DJ-15 to an older American made DJ-20, when a '76 37-315 came up. I decided to buy that and restore it. The older DJ-20's are great machines; generally superior than what you can buy new today in a similar price range. I would upgrade to a DJ-30 if an older one was available near me. I would also keep my DJ-15 had I the shop room but I don't, so it's for sale. Nice, older DJ-20's go for around $1,000 around here. Here's my restored 37-315 (rebuilt motor, new cutterhead bearings and knives). It cuts hardwood like butter.

360119Absolutely gorgeous restoration-I almost bought that exact model jointer as a restoration project but found the PM 60 instead. thanks for the pic....NICE tool!

Love it....

Mike Kees
05-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Howard what is the price that the owner wants for that jointer ? I own a DJ-20 jointer and also a older 37-315 delta. The older one is the one that I currently have set up. A DJ-20 is a really good jointer. I would rate the older ones made in the U.S. or the Brazilian built Invicta versions as slightly more desirable than the last Taiwan built versions. However they are all very good machines. I too find it somewhat ironic that this design has been copied and produced by Grizzly,Steel city,General Internatioal,Powermatic, King canada ,Craftex,etc. and yet people still dish the original. The best thing about this design is the ability to adjust the table alignment to each other and the cutter head far easier that a wedge bed design. If that jointer is reasonably priced I would not hesitate,Mike.

William Bell
06-01-2017, 3:57 AM
I bought a new DJ20 in December of 1990 for $1400. It was on sale. Normal price was $1499.00 plus tax. It has been a great jointer. It was dead on right out of the crate. I did not have to tweak it at all. A friend of mine had purchased a Powermatic model 60 around 1981 for 1500.00. While a great jointer in its own right we both preferred the DJ20. It seemed to run smoother and had about 16 inches of more table. Like a previous poster stated I would not part with mine for any reasonable price. Grizzly has greatly improved there quality of equipment since in late 1980's. However, it seems not all purchasers are satisfied from what I read on this site and others. You accept to have to tweak used machines and replace belts bearings etc. it is somewhat discouraging when you purchase something new and the nonsense starts. Twisted fences, plates not flat. Take pictures will look at it. Will send you a new one. The new one is worse. A third one arrives. It is not perfect but better than orignal. These are stories that we read on a daily basis. It seems luck of the draw has a lot to do with it. It seems you must ask yourself " do you feel lucky today". When something is new, regardless of we're it is made it should be perfect out of the crate or need minimum tweaking. It appears that isn't always the case. You can't convince me that a DJ20 made today for is the same as one made years ago for the same money. The economics of it don't make sense. I would part with my DJ20 for a DJ 30 or a DJ 42. A used DJ 42 is in the $3500 range. About half what it cost in the early 90's. However, $7000 in the 90's was a considerable amount of money. A hobbyist could outfit an entire shop for that kind of money. I know I did it. PM model 66 tablesaw $1800, delta 14 inch bandsaw $589, delta DC 33 planer $1150.00, PM Model 27 Shaper $2000.00 and the aforementioned jointer.

In 1990 I wanted the Powermatic model 180 planer. It was about $5000.00 than. I could not justify the cost as a hobbyist and had to settle for the Delta DC 33. Recently one became available locally on Craigslist. The owner had passed away. The son was selling his tools. The father was a hobbyist. He wanted $1000.00 for the planer. It included the grinder motor and the jointing stone. The machine was made in 1978 from the metallic green era and appeared to be in excellent condition. When it started I detected a unfamiliar sound. I thought it was a bearing or a loose knife or gib screw. I replaced the belts $68.00, new knives $122.00, power cord locking receptacle an plug another $120.00. new bearings $88.00 and 10 hours of aggravation. Tweaked all the settings another 4 hours. It now runs like it should. I now have my quest planer. Knowing what I know now I should have bit the bullet and purchased it in 1990. In the final analysis you usually get what you pay for. Used DJ20 in good shape for $400.00 is manna from heaven in these parts of the country or there distressed sales.

Michael Rector
06-01-2017, 8:55 AM
I originally was shopping for a Grizzly 490x and when inventory dried up I ended up grabbing a decent condition DJ-20 from Craigslist after another thread about DJ-20/490x comparison.

It's simply just a decent piece of hardware and ultimately it's going out the door as soon as my A3-31 shows up and I won't be happy or sad to see it go.

I can understand the idea that it's a good machine but that it's somehow the holy grail of jointers just baffles me. As illustrated by the extensive back order from Grizzly the DJ-20/490 jointer is simply commodity hardware at this point which is reflected in its price point.

William Chain
06-02-2017, 6:36 PM
Yay, first post.

I'm looking at several 6 inch jointers on CL all in the 200-300 range but there's a DJ-20 in pristine shape that a guy wants $900 for. Sigh. Is a 90's era Delta 6 inch jointer worth $250? There's a comparable Grizzly for about the same and then there's the DJ-20.

David Kumm
06-02-2017, 8:39 PM
DJ 15 was the 6" and about as nice as any 90s 6" made but I don't think a 6" is worth 900 just by virtue of size. Dave

William Chain
06-03-2017, 12:17 AM
What about the DJ 20? Worth 900?

Sean Shannon
06-03-2017, 7:32 AM
I've got an old delta 37-315 machine also. I'm slowly making the purge of Twainese iron out of my shop for Old Arn also. Cost is relative to the area that you're searching in. There is always going to be people on forums or Facebook who pay a ridiculous low amount for anything. Then there are guys who pay on the high end of things.

I look at it this way. What's the availability in your area? How often does something come up for sale, and what are you comfortable paying? I have paid on the higher end of things for used equipment, but I don't really care as long as its what I want and it is in decent shape.

Things that need work like bearings, tune ups, belts etc. all can be done for short money and get you familiar with your equipment and teach you how to properly tune your equipment. Is $900 high for a used jointer? Possibly, but is old American Iron far superior to the Grizzly stuff made today, in my opinion, yes. It's all what you're comfortable with. Remember CASH is king!

Andrew Hughes
06-03-2017, 10:27 AM
I've got an old delta 37-315 machine also. I'm slowly making the purge of Twainese iron out of my shop for Old Arn also. Cost is relative to the area that you're searching in. There is always going to be people on forums or Facebook who pay a ridiculous low amount for anything. Then there are guys who pay on the high end of things.

I look at it this way. What's the availability in your area? How often does something come up for sale, and what are you comfortable paying? I have paid on the higher end of things for used equipment, but I don't really care as long as its what I want and it is in decent shape.

Things that need work like bearings, tune ups, belts etc. all can be done for short money and get you familiar with your equipment and teach you how to properly tune your equipment. Is $900 high for a used jointer? Possibly, but is old American Iron far superior to the Grizzly stuff made today, in my opinion, yes. It's all what you're comfortable with. Remember CASH is king!

Great post I agree !

David Kumm
06-03-2017, 11:01 AM
If the tables and fence are flat, I'd pay 900. I would not sell mine for that. As to old iron, a 12-16" Porter, Oliver or Northfield in the 2500-4000 range are about 10 times as well made for 3-4X the price. Not advocating, just saying. Dave

Martin Wasner
06-04-2017, 12:00 PM
If the tables and fence are flat, I'd pay 900. I would not sell mine for that. As to old iron, a 12-16" Porter, Oliver or Northfield in the 2500-4000 range are about 10 times as well made for 3-4X the price. Not advocating, just saying. Dave

For something more in the midline quality, I paid $2000 for a very nice SAC FS305 jointer. It needed a lot of cleaning, and a little bit of tweaking, but I had maybe four hours into getting it where I wanted. It's not on par with an old American made jointer, but it is a nice jointer for not much more than what I paid for the Grizzlymatic 6" I still have. I'm was looking for a nice 12" Northfield, but I have no regrets about getting the SAC.

http://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15780779_10209942478229802_990175638751345835_n.jp g?oh=137538ada430cba212ece770a41a4b7a&oe=59AAE95E

David Kumm
06-04-2017, 12:54 PM
SAC made good stuff. Nice get. Dave

Andrew Hughes
06-04-2017, 2:02 PM
That's a great looking machine.I really don't like the look of Euro machines too boxy.But yours has nice proportions and colors.Nice

John Grossbohlin
07-01-2020, 10:36 PM
Funny, when I got my DJ-20 17 years ago it was pretty much "the" jointer to have... especially in a hobby shop. Norm had one and the related discussions on rec.woodworking were favorable for years. It was relatively expensive ($1,300 including tax and shipping) at the time but it has given me 17 years of trouble free service. To give you an idea of how trouble free it's been, I had to look up the cost and the date to write this comment. If it was a problem I'd have known without looking. ;)

It is a nicely made machine and the finish work was well done. Given my experiences, $800-$900 for a nice clean machine wouldn't bother me as the last selling prices were running in the $1,500-$1,700 range (plus tax and sometimes shipping).

William Bell
12-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Today, I just purchased a SAC/Powermatic FS305 made in 1980 for $1800. It is in excellent condition. One owner, a furniture maker in Maryland who took extremely good care of it. The paint appears to look as if it was painted yesterday. No discernible rust on tables. Previous owner always kept tables oiled when not in use. He has original manual, extra set of knives, knive setting jig etc.

I now have to decide if I'm going to sell my 1990 DJ-20 which has performed admirable for 30 years. I have the space to keep both. I have to decide if it makes fiscal sense to sell it. A new Grizzly GO490 costs $1,250 plus $175, shipping plus $85.00 in tax for Pa. That's about $1,500 today. Fourteen hundred dollars in 1990 is equivalent to approximately $2700 today. If I decide to sell it, I will listed it at $1200 and take no less than $1,000. It is worth more to me than $400, $600 or $800.00 which people claimed they paid.

As I stated 3 years ago, Grizzly has improved their quality over the past 30 years. However, there are still plenty of dissatisfied customers. Long waiting times, warped fences, beds etc. It is a roll of the dice. I can let a potential buyer demonstrate the machine before purchase. I have the original manuals, sales literature, etc. A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Bill Dufour
12-15-2020, 12:46 PM
About ten years ago I paid $400 for the older delta 8" jointer. I swapped out the three phase motor and moved a jumper on the transformer to use 120 volts. I would say 500-700 is a good price in the bay area. The lockdown should lreduce competition for distant machines?

Bill Dufour
12-15-2020, 12:49 PM

With the conversion that is only $304 US. That is a screaming deal.
Bil lD

Alex Zeller
12-15-2020, 1:10 PM
Delta kind of pulled a fast one on people when they put the larger "made in America" sticker on the base. They knew plenty of people were going to see it and think everything was made in the US. Because of that they do hold their value slightly higher than they should. For the most part an 8" jointer in good shape will bring around $1000 around here. In the end it comes down to what's it worth to you. What level of flatness do you want?

Last summer I picked up a PM882 with the helical head and mobile base (also has a kind of misleading "made in the USA" sticker on the base) for $2200. It was more than I normally would spend on a used piece of equipment vs new. But it had never had the inserts turned (I still haven't turned them yet), it still had cosmoline in places, and when I measured the tables I couldn't get the smallest feeler gauge, a .0015", under the calibrated straight edge I borrowed under either table or the fence. So even though it's 13 years old and made in Taiwan it's a lifetime machine for me. My point is that $1500 to $1800 would have been more inline to pay for it but that number is more based on an average machine and desire on how fast to purchase.

Dave Sabo
12-16-2020, 2:47 PM
Didn't INVICTA make the DJ15/20 in S. America for Delta?