PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Mustard Paint

Geoff Trembley
05-10-2017, 4:56 PM
After building my house and completely burning myself out on woodworking, I've decided to get back into it a bit, and my tools are in very sad shape for sitting for 12 years. I'd like to get them cleaned up, do maintenance, and paint where needed.

Most of my equipment is powermatic circa 1998-2003. It appears as though the mustard color has gotten a face lift since that time, and is much closer to new cat yellow than "horseradish dijon mustard."

I have ordered a rattle can of touch-up paint to see for myself, but the color seems to have changed.

Can anyone confirm? I might be repainting things the newer color rather than trying to match a 15 year old fade...

Jim Becker
05-10-2017, 5:12 PM
Take a sample of the gear (a cover or some removable part), clean it of any dirt, etc, and then take that to a real paint store, such as Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore and see about a custom color in an oil based enamel to re-coat your tools. Thoroughly clean things before you re-paint. The enamel should flow out beautifully if you use a quality brush.

Joe Kaufman
05-10-2017, 5:18 PM
From the Mustard Monster Site:

Paint - "Powermatic Gold"

Powermatic sells a touch up paint in 12oz spray cans. Its called "Powermatic 6612060 Bronze Enamel. You can get it by calling there cust. relations number. 1-800-274-6848
Or your local hardware store should have
Rust-Oleum Farm Equipment Paint, CAT Yellow Model # 7449-830 by Rust-Oleum (http://brands.hardwarestore.com/rust-oleum.aspx) I use a wire brush in my sander to clean things up a bit. Scrub down with lacquer thinner. By then I can't wait to order from Powermatic so I found Rust-Oleum Farm Equipment Yellow in my hardware store and it is a very close match. If I make clean mask-off lines and finish a surface I can't tell the difference.

I believe there is a old Cat Yellow and a new Cat Yellow listing from Rust-Oleum.
Joe

Geoff Trembley
05-10-2017, 5:46 PM
Thanks for the replies - I should have said that the paint was on backorder from powermatic. When it comes, I'll run some tests.

I saw the comments about old/new cat yellow in my googling. Old cat yellow is closer to dewalt yellow than powermatic. New Cat Yellow looks closer, and seems to match the new equipment photos online, not my old stuffs.

Perhaps it's just faded that bad, but neither of those paints are even close.