PDA

View Full Version : pitted outfeed roller & cupped chipbreaker on a Delta DC-33 planer

Bert Pohl
05-10-2017, 2:38 PM
First post here, so please excuse if i've hit the wrong sub-forum...

I recently gained a Delta DC-33 & have been doing some routine maintenance... sharpening blades, changing oil, removing rust etc.

What I haven't been able to figure out though is whether i need to be worried about the outfeed roller. It is fairly flat, but is full of pits... Here's a picture:

Another question I had is about the chipbreaker, which has some slight cupping (about 0.7mm). I don't know if that's from wear, or if chipbreakers are designed that way. If it's from wear, would honing it flat be a good idea?

Thanks!

Joe Jensen
05-10-2017, 3:05 PM
In general rollers can be recovered. I think Western Roller is one company. Not sure of the cost. On the chipbreaker. My planer came with a non-flat chipbreaker and Powermatic sent two more new ones also not flat. I ended up pulling it out and after an hour or so with a file and straight edge it was near perfect. You would really want to pull the chipbreaker out of the machien to do that work. but you need to tear it down to pull the outfeed roller anyway.

Bert Pohl
05-10-2017, 3:14 PM
Thanks Joe...
I haven't done much planing yet... So you would replace the roller then? I've seen some new "old stock" rollers for the DC-33 going for $70... Usual price for new stock is $120 or so... I've been thinking of just using "as is." I just don't know how much grief it is going to give me over time (and I haven't tried it out yet).

Matt Day
05-10-2017, 4:02 PM
That's a rubber roller right? I've heard of them (and thought of upgrading mine to one), just haven't actually seen one before. Looks like it's cracking from age. I'd replaced it as the rubber is likeky hard and won't grip as good.

Bert Pohl
05-10-2017, 5:50 PM
That's a rubber roller right?

Thanks for your reply. I think the roller is urethane... I don't know how that grips with age...

Joe Jensen
05-10-2017, 6:41 PM
the coating looks like it's dried out and it's done. I would worry new old stock would also be dry. A quick call to western roller would get a price to have that one coated with urethane

Bert Pohl
05-10-2017, 9:42 PM
Thanks Joe, I'll give them a call & see... I couldn't see from the website that they re-coated rollers... I thought they were just selling new ones--sounds interesting, thx for the nudge.