PDA

View Full Version : *Auction Has Ended* Keepsake Box Donation

Jim VanBramer
10-21-2005, 5:51 PM
[B]Well, the loml volunteered me a while back to make some sort of a keepsake box for the National Campfire USA auction that's coming up the end of this month. Most times she volunteers me I'm not too keen on the idea, but this time it meant she actually wanted me to spend time out in the shop!!!:D I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I spent alot of time out there just staring at my wood piles, trying to figure out which direction to go. Finally I ended up going with some big leaf maple burl my best friend had given me. I'm not totally sure it all worked out to my satisfaction, but the people putting the auction together were thrilled, so I guess that's got to count for something. Anyway, enjoy!
http://home.earthlink.net/~vanbramers/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/burlbox1a.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~vanbramers/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/burlbox2a.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~vanbramers/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/burlbox3a.jpg

John Miliunas
10-21-2005, 7:21 PM
All I can say is those folks putting the auction together have good taste!!!:D That's beautiful! Jim, you did a wonderful job on that and those ripped miters are super-clean! Truly looks like a single block of wood. :) I'm thinking that should fetch a real pretty sum of monies!:) How about some details on your finishing regime? Well done, Jim! Gorgeous.:) :cool:

Mike Cutler
10-21-2005, 7:21 PM
It appears that you stared at that woodpile for just the right amount of time.
That is a very nice result, and I can see why the eventers were happy.
Very nice work all' round.

Vaughn McMillan
10-21-2005, 7:31 PM
I'm with John on this one...it looks like you just polished up a solid piece of wood and put a top on it. Very nice job. It should do well in the auction.

- Vaughn

Jason Tuinstra
10-21-2005, 7:38 PM
Jim, I like it a lot. The figure of the burl works great with the simple top. The handle is a very nice touch as well. It should fetch a pretty good amount.

Michael Stafford
10-21-2005, 7:49 PM
Very lovely box, Jim. Do I detect a bit of Randy Cook influence? I love boxes with that form and you sure made the most of some beautiful wood displaying it the way you did!:D

Scott Donley
10-21-2005, 8:07 PM
Very,very nice Jim, if you ever end up with to much of that burl let me know:) Nice job!

Richard Wolf
10-21-2005, 8:10 PM
Well done.

Richard

Joe Blankshain
10-21-2005, 8:12 PM
Great work Jim. Hope it brings in some big money for a worthy cause.

Corey Hallagan
10-21-2005, 8:17 PM
That is a beautiful piece just like everyone has said. Thanks for the photos!

Corey

Dan Oliphant
10-21-2005, 8:18 PM
Wow, that is awsome.

Jim VanBramer
10-21-2005, 8:20 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm hoping it fetches a nice amount, cuz I know it sure was hard watching it leave the shop ... never to return! As for the finishing, it was the usual BLO to bring out the grain (altho I don't think I had to worry too much about this grain popping out!;) ), followed by about 8-9 coats of wipe on poly. As for those "perfect" miters .... ah, the wonders of low resolution photos!!!:D
Nice to hear from you Scott ... hope everything's going well.

Jim V

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Awesome Jim. Love the piece. Thanks for the pictures.

Karl Laustrup
10-22-2005, 7:31 AM
I can only echo the words that have already been spoken.

I would have a hard time letting that go. I might even go and bid on it myself. It is stunning.

Give us an update on how much the lucky bidder shells out, please.

Karl

Jim VanBramer
10-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Update ...

I just found out that this isn't your ordinary hometown auction! It's for the National Campfire USA program, and last night I heard that Bill and Melinda Gates would be attending :eek: , along with many other dignitaries from the Seattle area and the rest of the U.S. ... black tie affair and all! Now it'll be interesting to see if they truly believe in donating or are they really closet bargain hunters??? :rolleyes: My wife and daughter will be volunteering so hopefully they'll be able to keep tabs on how much it goes for (and maybe even who buys it).

Karl Laustrup
10-25-2005, 11:23 AM
WOW!

That's really got my curiosity up now.

I do hope you SIGNED your work.

Karl

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Jim,

Keep us updated! That box should go for a pretty penny!!!!

John Bush
10-25-2005, 2:37 PM
Hi Jim,
I live in Seattle too, but my tux is at the cleaners so I won't be attending the Gala.
Great job on the box. As stated before it looks like you milled it out of a solid block. If possible could you give us a rundown of your technique of milling flat stock out of a burl or better yet, host a seminar on how you made the box. I'll bring the Ezell's chicken. Thanks for sharing. John.

Corey Hallagan
10-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Jim, that is very cool. Good luck! Karl has a good point as well.

Corey

Bruce Branson
10-26-2005, 12:33 AM
Outstanding work.Someone will be lucky to own that.Thanks for the pictures.

Frank Foley
10-26-2005, 3:51 AM
Absolutely beautiful work!! Keep us informed.

Jim VanBramer
10-29-2005, 4:07 PM
Well, the auction has finally come and gone, and the keepsake box is now in somebody else's home. My wife worked the area where these so called "pillars of the community" had to register their credit cards and pay for their tables (at a minimum of $150/plate). More times than she could count she saw them put down one card, have it declined, put down another with the same results and finally say "Oh, just let me send you a check on Monday." When she saw that happening she really began to wonder how this whole thing was going to pan out. They had the box tucked back in a separate room where it was kind of hard to get at, but when all was said and done it ended up bringing in $475, which I guess isn't all that bad. I'm just glad I could do a little something to help the cause.

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2005, 4:40 PM
Awesome Jim. That was one nice looking keepsake box. Sounds like things went pretty well though.

Dick Parr
10-29-2005, 5:40 PM
Great job Jim for a good cause.

Corey Hallagan
10-29-2005, 8:23 PM
Awesome Jim! Congrats!

Corey