PDA

View Full Version : Domino Question

Mark R Webster
05-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Hi guys, I was using my Domino 500 the other day with the 5mm cutter. To my dismay all of a sudden I heard this grinding sound. I discovered that the bit had broken off about quarter of an inch from it's end and was floating around in the mortise hitting the remaining bit. Is this a weak point with this bit.... have this ever happened to any of you. If not, I suppose there could have been a flaw in the metal or if not... something with my technique? Maybe I was plunging too fast. It didn't seem like that was the case. I was using cherry, so the wood was not particularly hard. Thanks.

William M Johnson
05-10-2017, 11:52 AM
They break, keep a spare.

Bill

Hoang N Nguyen
05-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Were you using dust extraction with the domino? I've read the bits are more prone to breakage without a DC hooked up to it. I've used my 5mm cutter a good bit for smaller parts and never had an issue.

Martin Wasner
05-10-2017, 12:08 PM
They break, keep a spare.

Bill

Exactly.

Extra words

Mark R Webster
05-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Yes I was using dust extraction. :)

Mark R Webster
05-10-2017, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys I just ordered two. A little pricey for a "disposable". :(

John Piwaron
05-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys I just ordered two. A little pricey for a "disposable". :(

It's Festool. Comes with the territory. :)

Prashun Patel
05-10-2017, 1:54 PM
CMT makes cutters for a lower price than the Festool-branded ones. I have had decent luck with them. At least, if you find yourself having to pony up for replacements, then this may be a compelling option.

Chris Padilla
05-10-2017, 2:09 PM
You could have hit something in the wood or perhaps it was a "4:45 pm Friday" time when your cutter was made. :)

I haven't broken any of mine but I am on second bits for the 4 and 5 mm ones just from wearing them out.

It is always a good idea to take a quickie scan of your cutters before using them just in case you find any raised burrs that one stroke of a file could remove.

Ben Rivel
05-10-2017, 2:10 PM
You could have hit something in the wood or perhaps it was a "4:45 pm Friday" time when your cutter was made. :)

I haven't broken any of mine but I am on second bits for the 4 and 5 mm ones just from wearing them out.

It is always a good idea to take a quickie scan of your cutters before using them just in case you find any raised burrs that one stroke of a file could remove.Sound advice.

Mark R Webster
05-10-2017, 2:18 PM
Sounds like an option! Thanks

Mark R Webster
05-10-2017, 2:21 PM
Yeah I am pretty sure nothing was in the wood. I am guessing it was the "4:45 pm Friday" thing :)