PDA

View Full Version : Open Fiber Units vs Closed Units

Tim Bateson
05-10-2017, 9:22 AM
I don't believe I've seen this subject discussed in any detail here & am wanting to hear Pros & Cons or "Been there done that..." type of thing.

A lot of the Chinese Fiber Lasers are being sold without a protective enclosure. I'm weighing the difference of getting an Open Fiber laser without the shielded box around it. I like the idea of it being easily accessible without opening and closing doors & I know anyone in the vicinity has to ware protective glasses. What else am I missing?

Bill George
05-10-2017, 9:29 AM
I don't believe I've seen this subject discussed in any detail here & am wanting to hear Pros & Cons or "Been there done that..." type of thing.

A lot of the Chinese Fiber Lasers are being sold without a protective enclosure. I'm weighing the difference of getting an Open Fiber laser without the shielded box around it. I like the idea of it being easily accessible without opening and closing doors & I know anyone in the vicinity has to ware protective glasses. What else am I missing?

I have an open one and it allows you to engrave, like the handle of a stainless steel scoop used for metal detecting. The beam is directed straight down so you just need to be aware of reflective light. I do have shields to place around if needed and glasses also. If you have people in your shop all the time you might want enclosed.

John Kleiber
05-10-2017, 2:53 PM
Ours is enclosed and I am happy with it. The bed is large and I have purchased over time a couple fixture plates with a tighter screw matrix for mounting items more easily.
My only issue wasn't so much with the enclosure, but more so over-sized tall items or where marking was required on the end. To get around that I dremeled a pass through on the steel base under the plate. Problem solved.

Kev Williams
05-10-2017, 3:36 PM
My fiber would be completely useless with any type of enclosure. I have 3 pairs of glasses, one for me, two for observers...

FWIW to anyone, a few weeks ago I put my bare arm right thru the beam path to open the blast gate on my exhaust pipe, my arm was about half-way between the lens and the work..

Didn't feel a thing. Only reason I was aware I even did it was the teletale buzzing of the engraving stopped. Whoops! ;)

But closer to an in-focus beam I'm sure would be a bit painful...

John Lifer
05-10-2017, 4:54 PM
Kev, the fiber is different than the CO2. I've put my hand thru CO2. ONCE! And it HURT. No real burn, but it stung for about 3-4 hours. I haven't with the Fiber, but it sure doesn't do anything to metal unless within the focal distance.

But having said that, and I'm rather new to the fiber. I have a 20watt open. I don't anticipate much traffic as I'm in basement of house. I use glasses about half the time... Yes, I know. I don't watch it, might glance at it to see if it is still working depending on the item running. Most things make some noise while engraving, but some don't especially if not metal. If you monitor/control your area, I'd not feel there is an issue with it being open. I'd rather build a wall to enclose the area better. I don't think a say 200x200mm box would work for a LOT of items. Tim, You've been using the epi and it's a box, but a rather large box. what if it was only 25% or less in size?

One other thing, I bought the X-Y table for it. Was cheap, better all at once than adding later.
It only has a 140x140mm travel, but I use it a LOT to fix the engraving area EXACTLY where I want it, without having to touch the part. Vertical is easy, but left-right, front-back would be a PAIN without it.
Would it fit in the box? And my base under the laser is 400x400, is box that big? If not, I'd not want to deal with it.

Oh, and buy a 30+ watt. (I expect you are shooting for a 50watt, good for you!) The 20 works well, but I already would like a few more watts.....

OH, Rotary! how well are you going to be able to use it in a box?

John Kleiber
05-10-2017, 9:36 PM
OH, Rotary! how well are you going to be able to use it in a box?

I use my rotary with no problems.

As for long items, here are 2 of the total 5 stainless steel hand rails I anneal marked with university alumni names. A solid stainless steel bar, 1" thick x 6' long x 4.5" wide.

Rodne Gold
05-11-2017, 2:53 AM
Tim, easiest and cheaper to go open and wear glasses

John Kleiber
05-11-2017, 9:26 AM
Tim, easiest and cheaper to go open and wear glasses

I agree. If I had to do it all over again, I would go open. Strangely enough, at the time, it was less $$$ than open.

The laser is independent of the enclosure.

Basically the laser and associated electronics could be reconfigured easily into an open configuration if needed.

Dave Sheldrake
05-11-2017, 12:09 PM
It changes the class of the equipment, here it can make a huge difference to a number of things from safety regulations to insurance costs

Gary Hair
05-11-2017, 12:41 PM
It changes the class of the equipment, here it can make a huge difference to a number of things from safety regulations to insurance costs

This is the Wild West, we don't need no stinkin' regulations, safety or otherwise!

Bill George
05-11-2017, 12:46 PM
This is the Wild West, we don't need no stinkin' regulations, safety or otherwise!

So if its not Safe, how does it pass US FDA approval at the Customs entry? As I recall on my Diode laser project it just needed to have a Keyed ON- Off to prevent untrained persons from operating.

Scott Shepherd
05-11-2017, 1:25 PM
So if its not Safe, how does it pass US FDA approval at the Customs entry? As I recall on my Diode laser project it just needed to have a Keyed ON- Off to prevent untrained persons from operating.

The FDA doesn't certify it's safe, they certify the radioactive source is compliant with the laws of importing that into the country were followed.

People do NOT understand how dangerous the fiber wavelength is. There is a dealer out there, in the US right now, telling customers that the fiber laser is completely safe, that you need no eye protection at all, and you are at no risk by your body passing through it.

That's just frightening, especially because it's someone who makes their living off of selling fiber lasers from China to people in the USA.

Gary Hair
05-11-2017, 1:32 PM

"Safe" and "FDA Approval" are not one and the same. Do you really think that key switch will make the machine "safe"? No, I didn't think so...

John Kleiber
05-11-2017, 2:25 PM

hahaha! Good one Gary

Bill George
05-11-2017, 4:13 PM
So how safe are the open bed lasers like the Kern, and others? How safe is my plasma cutter in my shop? How safe is my TIG welder? Safe operation depends on the operator first and safety devices second. Would I let my 4 year old great grand daughter In my shop when the laser Is on? What do you think?

I have approved glasses and shields and she still would not be allowed in.

So bottom line my machine is key locked and I am the only one with access when its running. That is my Safe mode. If It was open to the public it would be enclosed.
http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/4/

John Lifer
05-11-2017, 7:11 PM
The other thing the FDA is doing is to determine the type of Laser, insuring it is not going to be used on that extraneous hair.

Bill George
05-11-2017, 8:41 PM
You know John with an open laser we can branch out. Hair and tattoo removal, while you wait service no less!

What is really scary read up on robotic laser cutting and welding. I saw one picture on the OHSA website or someplace where a laser attached to robotic arm made a hole in 9mm thick steel. Those are the kind where you need to go inside the work area, After its locked and tagged out.

Kev Williams
05-11-2017, 8:50 PM
So let me think here... How safe..

A car is perfectly safe. Just don't step in front of one that's moving.

An acetylene torch is safe-- just keep the flame pointed THAT-a-way.

Electricity is safe. Just don't become its path to ground.

A kitchen knife is safe. Just keep it away from your throat. And fingers.

Those things that fire projectiles... I'll leave that one alone... ;)

Laser engravers are safe. Just remember laser beams are hot, and they can ricochet.

Almost everything we consider safe can be dangerous. And many dangerous things are perfectly safe... Until you forget to respect the dangerous part.
So, don't forget. :)

Bill George
05-11-2017, 8:57 PM
Kev, I have part of my shop door window covered, and a little Laser in Use tag I got someplace stuck on the inside of that window. I agree anything is only as safe as the user.

Dave Sheldrake
05-12-2017, 12:40 PM
We have all sorts of regulations here :( some of them make sense...some of them are basic common sense, some of them make no sense

On the open area stuff, a couple of years ago a maker who designed and built a 445nm powered machine had all their machines seized and were fined 80,000 Euro's for safety infringements before they got to market

Very few direct import Chinese machines would pass EU, CE requirements for safety in use for industrial work. The lack of a raised E-Stop on the glowforge for example is going to be a big problem here

John Lifer
05-12-2017, 9:03 PM
No Bill, I'll skip the hair removal service. And come to think about it Dave, I don't remember seeing any fiber with a a raised estop. I've got to go look at a couple of US makers sites...

Kev Williams
05-13-2017, 8:15 PM
My Triumph Fiber, with key switch AND raised Estop...

Nenad Kecojevic
05-18-2017, 6:09 AM
Hello! This is my first post here, sorry for my English... Beside danger for our eyes, there is one more danger. During the engraving, we inhale a lot of smoke and other residues and debris which is definitely a health hazard. Although a lot of users places an exhausting hood adjusted to working area, it is much more efficient to enclosure working area. So, my advice is – enclosure is better. The goal is to make it the way you can easily open it if needed. You can check my solutions, I used Al Bond and Acrylic for materials.