PDA

View Full Version : Identifying tools and their worth

Ken Miller
05-09-2017, 8:29 PM
If anyone could help in what these tools are, what they are used for and a reasonable asking price for them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Matt Day
05-09-2017, 9:30 PM
Mostly metalworking tools. alignment/setup gauges, obviously you can use compasses for a lot of things, micrometer, milling bits.

Dave Macy
05-09-2017, 10:53 PM
That's all metalworking stuff. The first one is a dial indicator along with a setup arm for it. #2 compass (no idea what the two things on the right are). #3 is a micrometer (Starret is good stuff). #4 is slit saws for a milling machine. #5 - the round items that look like fat drills are end mills for a milling machine and the square bars are for a metal lathe.

Bruce Page
05-10-2017, 12:19 AM
That's all metalworking stuff. The first one is a dial indicator along with a setup arm for it. #2 compass (no idea what the two things on the right are). #3 is a micrometer (Starret is good stuff). #4 is slit saws for a milling machine. #5 - the round items that look like fat drills are end mills for a milling machine and the square bars are for a metal lathe.
The four things on the right are adjustable parallels.
Ballpark guesses on value:
The indicator set $40
Compasses and dividers $10-20, Adjustable parallels $20-30 depending on brand.
Starrett 0-1 micrometer $20-30 - it's actually a high end Starrett that reads in tenths (.0001)
The slitting saws are valuable and expensive when bought new. Finding the right buyer for them will be a challenge. The two white items are honing/sharpening stones. $5
The lathe turning bits and endmills are a crapshoot depending on condition. Not much value unless you find the right person.

Ken Miller
05-10-2017, 6:44 PM
Thank you so much, I really do appreciate everyone taking time out of their day and answering. Have a great day. p.s. these were all things from a friends elderly parent and she doesn't know what to do with them, and nor did I, lol

Bruce Page
05-10-2017, 8:22 PM
Any technical vocational schools nearby? I'm sure they would like to take them off your hands.