PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Type Of Wood

Dick Parr
10-21-2005, 5:15 PM
Got this wood at the BBQ this year and no one knew what kind of wood it was. It was very dry and very light in weight. This had to be the worst wood for tear out that I have ever turned. No matter what method I tried I could not lessen the tear out. Spent at least 2 hours just sanding.:( I decided to try something different with the ogee rim.

It finished out at 8-7/8" x 4" and 3/8" thick. It was buffed with the Beall system.

Thanks for looking.

Chris Barton
10-21-2005, 5:48 PM
Hiya Dick,

I'm not expert on wood but, given the light color, light weight and seriour tearout, I would guess cottonwood. Some folks call them popcorn trees since they have a seed pod that looks like popcorn. I think it looks great and I really like the ogee edge. Nice to see you posting some pics these days!

Michael Stafford
10-21-2005, 6:35 PM
It sorta looks like poplar but since you said it was so soft and lightweight I guess that is ruled out. Regardless of the wood it looks like you did something nice with it!:)

Ernie Nyvall
10-21-2005, 9:34 PM
Very nice job Dick. I understand about the sanding, so if it too painful of a reminder of sore fingers and what have you, you may send it to me.:D

Ernie

Keith Burns
10-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Great form and finish. Looks to me like it was worth the effort.

Dick Parr
10-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.;)

Chris that just might be what it is , I remember looking at that tree when I was looking up another one in my book. I might try this wood again if it is green, but no more dry stuff. Way to much work.

Dennis Peacock
10-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Awe....come on now.....Don't ya know that the wood is actually Arkysaw Pee-can.!!!????:rolleyes: :p ;)

I'd say cottonwood as well......but what do I know....most wood around here is Red Oak and warped, twisted Birch.:( :mad: :o

Nice Bowl Dick....You did real good.

Ron Jones near Indy
10-21-2005, 11:16 PM
My vote also goes to cottonwood.

John Hart
10-22-2005, 6:30 AM
Doesn't look like you had any problem with it Dick. Very nice! My first guess was poplar. The poplar I'm working with right now is very light as well and the tearout is horrendous.

Jim Ketron
10-22-2005, 1:34 PM
Nice Job Dick! I say poplar also.
Love the rim

Travis Stinson
10-23-2005, 8:03 PM
Very nice Dick. I'm going with Poplar also.;)

Mark Cothren
10-24-2005, 8:51 AM
That's another good one, Dick! I know you have to love it after wrasslin' with it that much on the tearout!!!

Looks smooth as silk to me from here in Arkansas... :D

Thanks for the picture!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-24-2005, 9:01 AM
Dick, I don't know what wood type it was, but it does look nice!!

Dick Parr
10-24-2005, 9:06 AM
Thanks again everyone, I am just not sure what I will do if I come across another piece of the wood. It might go into the campfire pile.:)