PDA

View Full Version : A box elder vahse......

Michael Stafford
10-21-2005, 4:05 PM
Yet another piece of wood from Jim Ketron. Do you now believe in the possibility that Jim not only deforested western Virginia but might also be a major contributor to global warming...:p ?

He gave me this piece of box elder at Dick Parr's picnic. It is 6 1/4" in diameter and 5 1/4" tall. Lots of compression curl and character. I turned this green, soaked it in alcohol and dried it for a while before finishing it.

Comments welcomed....

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-21-2005, 4:17 PM
DID GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MIKE!

Looks great.

Bruce

Dick Parr
10-21-2005, 4:18 PM
WOW Mike, that is some beautiful wood.:D

I hope mine looks that good when I get around to turning it. Jim gave me a couple pieces too.

Great Job Mike;)

Jim Ketron
10-21-2005, 4:38 PM
Love the shape Mike! lots of curl in that piece the finish showes it off nicely! Great Job.

Carole Valentine
10-21-2005, 6:57 PM
That's some pretty wood and you used a nice form to show it off. I like the curl better than the typical Box Elder red streaks which fade.

Carole Valentine
10-21-2005, 6:59 PM
Do you now believe in the possibility that Jim not only deforested western Virginia but might also be a major contributor to global warming...:p ?

When he finishes wiping out the western part of the State, I hope he doesn't start cutting his way east!:eek: Can't put a fence up cause he'd just cut it down!:D

keith zimmerman
10-21-2005, 8:32 PM
Beautiful vase, Mike. I really like how this turned out.

keith

Ernie Nyvall
10-21-2005, 9:13 PM
Yet, another form and a very nice one. Thanks for the pics Mike. It's a great looking bowl.

Ernie

Keith Burns
10-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Great looking vase. Great form and finish. Must be nice to have Jim as your own personal forester:D

John Hart
10-22-2005, 6:23 AM
Beautiful Vahse Sir Mike! Since you and Jim are teaming...we need another pic from Loy!:)

Dennis Peacock
10-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Big Mike.....simply beautiful as usual.!!!! You seem to have the knack to bring out the best in wood.

Now....what I want to know is what tool you're using to compress that wood enough to give it all that figger???:p ;) :rolleyes:

Michael Stafford
10-22-2005, 1:57 PM
Now....what I want to know is what tool you're using to compress that wood enough to give it all that figger???:p ;) :rolleyes:

Obviously Dennis, I am using my curl machine.........:p :rolleyes: ;)

Travis Stinson
10-23-2005, 7:58 PM
Mike, your curl machine works really well, wanna rent it out? A beautiful vahse from some beautiful wood!:cool:

Mark Cothren
10-24-2005, 8:57 AM
Very, very nice, Big Mike! Looks like Jim hooked you up good with the wood and you turned it into a very nice piece!

Love the figuring!

Thanks for the picture!