PDA

View Full Version : Another camera thread

Brent Cutshall
05-09-2017, 8:13 AM
Hello all! This will be similar to one of the last threads. I would like a new camera but, alas, I don't know which one would be the best choice. The camera I have now is a Kodak Z700 and it takes good pictures under certain conditions. I recently took a trip to a local arboretum, and discovered that my camera was good but subpar. My normal picture-taking operations including wildflowers(mostly wildflowers), scenery shots, and the occasional bird. I'm looking for a camera that can take good up-close shots and distant shots in low to bright light conditions in the range of about $200-$300(similar to the last thread). I'm aware I won't get a GREAT camera for that range, but I'm ok with that. There are so many cameras out there for that price range though, and most of them seem to try to focus on zoom abilities, which I don't entirely care about. If anyone has any recommendations, I would be grateful.

Malcolm Schweizer
05-09-2017, 8:36 AM
Panasonic LUMIX they have Leica optics and well-respected electronics. This one is in your price range:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS50S-Travel-Viewfinder-Silver/dp/B01FDM90WS/ref=sr_1_14?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1494333094&sr=1-14&keywords=LUMIX

Rick Moyer
05-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Since I started the other camera thread I'll comment here. Dependent on your level of interest in photography, I would highly recommend buying a used DLSR. You will get a much better camera (one can be found in your price parameter). Additionally, if you progress with your interest, you will be able to upgrade lenses and still have a very capable camera setup. Now here (lenses) is where you will need to spend some more money. One lens won't give you all you'll want, but a DSLR will allow you whatever options you choose.
I have been sticking with Canon, but Nikon or Canon are the major two players in DSLR cameras. Either will be great. Since I already had a Canon I purchased a Canon for my wife's requirements as well. We can then share lenses. You will be best served by doing your own research on lenses as there are plenty of options for you to weigh. Most cameras come with a starter 18-55mm lens that is pretty good but you'll likely want some dedicated lenses for your interests, too.

andy bessette
05-09-2017, 12:16 PM
...recommend buying a used DLSR...

This. A DSLR with kit lens, such as a Nikon D200, could be found in your price range. And optional (used, even manual) lenses could be added at a later date.

Avoid cameras with tiny sensors and huge built-in zoom range.

Jim Becker
05-09-2017, 4:58 PM
I agree relative to the used DSLR providing more flexibility over time.

Art Mann
05-09-2017, 7:06 PM
Where I live, I see reasonably priced used Nikon DSLR cameras all the time. The low end is the D3200 and up series. The mid level is the D5300 and up series. The enthusiast level includes the D80, D90, D7000 and up. I Didn't mention Canon or other brands because I am not familiar with them. ANy of the cameras I mentioned with the kit lens would be better in most ways than just about any point and shoot you could buy in that price range.

Brent Cutshall
05-09-2017, 8:15 PM
Does anyone know something about the Canon Rebel XT? I think I like the used DSLR idea.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2017, 9:19 PM
One thing to consider if you are thinking about purchasing a DSLR is size and weight.

My wife is an avid amateur photographer. Once in a blue moon she likes a good DSLR but because of size and weight she uses a small digital Olympus or Panasonic she owns.

For a recent trip I bought her a Nikon D-7200 kit. It takes nice photos. On that trip, I carried the Nikon while she shot most of her photos with the smaller cameras. Personally, I don't mind the extra size and weight so I use the Nikon more than she does.