PDA

View Full Version : 36in bessey bar clamps for $8 and 24in for $6?

Rick Pinzon
05-08-2017, 3:52 PM
I just picked these up at a discount store and I may buy more. Are these worth the price?

Jim Becker
05-08-2017, 4:28 PM
Ummm....yea... ;) In a major way. (Assuming they are a format that you like to use, of course)

glenn bradley
05-08-2017, 4:29 PM
Bessey makes a wide variety of bar clamps. Got pics?

Adam Merritt
05-08-2017, 4:51 PM
What discount store? Sounds like I need to try and fine one near me!

Rick Pinzon
05-08-2017, 4:52 PM
These are the basic bessey bar clamps that Home Depot sells. I guess I was wondering if they are any good at all.

Bill McDermott
05-08-2017, 7:42 PM
They are fine for light work, but those clamps with thin, flat bars will bend and distort and be unable to deliver strong pressure. You will notice that the more expensive bar clamps have bars that are structural, sort of like an I-beam - or are just downright big and beefy. In any case, You will get plenty of use out of your light duty clamps and the price was great.

Don Jarvie
05-08-2017, 9:07 PM
Light duty clamps are always handy. Probably made in China. Besseys from Germany are beefier and the best they make, obviously more expensive.

Rick Malakoff
05-08-2017, 10:15 PM
I bought a Bessey Vise from HD and it was made in China and returned it, now i look at where everything is made.

Rick

glenn bradley
05-09-2017, 8:33 AM
These are the basic bessey bar clamps that Home Depot sells. I guess I was wondering if they are any good at all.

Depends on your preference for clutch-plate clamps. I prefer slip-jaw style bar clamps but, there are just as many folks who prefer the clutch-plate type. They are light-to-medium weight, reasonable quality clamps. A bit shy of the medium duty Jorgies like a 3700 series but, I have a few that I received for Christmas and find some uses for them here and there without issue.