PDA

View Full Version : Older Jet 1642 with Delta controller, good lathe?

Damon McLaughlin
05-08-2017, 2:41 PM
I just got off the phone with a guy selling a Jet 1642 lathe, it has an S-1 Delta controller. The lathe looks like its had a lot of use but it doesn't necessarily look abused. I was wondering if these are worth a consideration or if these were problematic, or if there are things I should pay attention to if I were to go look at it. It comes with a chuck and four mounting plates and he is asking $1500. Just wondering if this is a fair price.

Dwight Rutherford
05-08-2017, 3:46 PM
They are good lathe's,I have had a Jet 1642 for 12+ years and it has served me well. Sounds like a good price with the extras.

Damon McLaughlin
05-09-2017, 1:02 AM
Thank you Dwight for your feedback. He's also including a bunch of bowl and spindle blanks (wood unknown). If I can sell my Rikon I'll probably go look at it.

John K Jordan
05-09-2017, 10:16 AM
I just got off the phone with a guy selling a Jet 1642 lathe, it has an S-1 Delta controller. The lathe looks like its had a lot of use but it doesn't necessarily look abused. I was wondering if these are worth a consideration or if these were problematic, or if there are things I should pay attention to if I were to go look at it. It comes with a chuck and four mounting plates and he is asking $1500. Just wondering if this is a fair price.

Hey Dave! I have a couple of those (the 110v version) and they are great. The price you mentioned is a little less than what I paid for the used one in good condition. It should come with a knockout bar, live center (Oneway clone), drive center, cast iron tool rest, one face plate, and manual. It comes new with a wire basket under the ways and a safety cage on top that is usually only used in product photos. A chuck is a big plus.

Turn it on, see if it starts and runs smoothly without any error codes on the VFD in the back. Check the spindle, maybe look at the belt. It is not unusual for the belt to make a little noise. (If you buy it don't overtighten the belt - Jet recommends just the weight of the motor is enough tension.) I'd crank the tailstock and see if it turns easily. If you put points in both the headstock and tailstock they should align vertically. If they are misaligned slightly in the horizontal direction it's not a big deal - that can be adjusted easily.

JKJ

Damon McLaughlin
05-09-2017, 1:34 PM
Hey Dave! I have a couple of those (the 110v version) and they are great. The price you mentioned is a little less than what I paid for the used one in good condition. It should come with a knockout bar, live center (Oneway clone), drive center, cast iron tool rest, one face plate, and manual. It comes new with a wire basket under the ways and a safety cage on top that is usually only used in product photos. A chuck is a big plus.

Turn it on, see if it starts and runs smoothly without any error codes on the VFD in the back. Check the spindle, maybe look at the belt. It is not unusual for the belt to make a little noise. (If you buy it don't overtighten the belt - Jet recommends just the weight of the motor is enough tension.) I'd crank the tailstock and see if it turns easily. If you put points in both the headstock and tailstock they should align vertically. If they are misaligned slightly in the horizontal direction it's not a big deal - that can be adjusted easily.

JKJ

Thank you John for your feedback. I'm going to talk to the seller this evening and I'll be sure to ask about the items you mentioned. I know he mentioned a chuck and four faceplates and bunch of wood. I've heard good things about the 1642 but it won't have the rotating headstock that I really wanted. For the same price I could get a Nova 1624 with the upgraded DVR motor which would have the rotating headstock and a warranty. So if I'm ready to buy now I have to decide which would be a better buy and the decision just isn't easy. If I could have my way I would probably save longer and look at a new Jet 1640.

Damon McLaughlin
05-09-2017, 2:15 PM
I just heard back from the seller. The Jet 1642 lathe has a 110v motor and only includes the following; It's got four different and adjustable mounting plates, knockout bar (if it's what I think it is...), Large T-Rex adjustable tool holder, several Forstner bits, chuck/key. The instruction manual is downloadable off the Web

Is this still a good deal at $1500?

Here's a photo of the lathe. The wood is included, the tools are not as they are an extra cost that I cannot afford (sorby and woodriver turning tools)

Delta controller

All the wood that is included

Dwight Rutherford
05-09-2017, 2:25 PM
Yes I think it is a good deal. I assume you wanted a rotating headstock so you could turn items larger then the swing on the Nova. You can accomplish the same thing on the Jet by simply sliding the headstock down to the end of the bed and use a DIY tool rest.
Just as an aside, I have found pieces larger in diameter than 15 1/2" ( real max diameter on a 16" swing) are not easy to sell or give away as few people have the room or table to accommodate.

Allan Ferguson
05-09-2017, 2:56 PM
If you can arrange space around the tail stock end you can do a lot of bowl work off the end to save your back. Again, provided you can find the space, this should make you a good lathe. Looks to be a good many dollars worth of wood included. The advice all ready given is well worth taking.

John K Jordan
05-09-2017, 6:30 PM
I suspect it is worth it, if in good condition and you can see it run. That looks like a great haul of wood!

I agree about the size of pieces. I don't try to sell things but to me it is a whole lot more satisfying to make 3-4 small bowls to give to people than one large bowl. Many people don't even have room in their house for a large bowl or platter and a smaller turning may get used more. I once made these two platters from Sapele for our house, one 19" and one 14". We seldom use the big one but use the smaller one a lot.

JKJ

Damon McLaughlin
05-09-2017, 7:48 PM
Excellent advice guys, its sincerely appreciated. I'm going down tomorrow to check it out. The reason for a rotating headstock wasn't so that I could turn really large pieces but to make hollowing a bit easier on my back. The only way I would get more room at the tailstock end is to remove both of my cabinets which I don't want to do, but I suppose this would have to be a sacrifice on my end. Does seem like a lot of lathe for the money, the wood is an added bonus. He also has 8 Sorby turning tools for $275 but that takes me well beyond my budget.

Dwight Rutherford
05-09-2017, 10:31 PM
If you get it, I would recommend figuring out how to situate it so you can slide the headstock down and turn at the end of the lathe. I do this with bowls, hollow forms and other items that would normally require bending over the bed. Sometimes it facilitates turning in reverse. Makes a lot of turning easy on the back.

John K Jordan
05-10-2017, 12:24 PM
The reason for a rotating headstock wasn't so that I could turn really large pieces but to make hollowing a bit easier on my back....

Mark St. Leger had shared some wisdom a few weeks ago about hollowing. He said most people hollow while bending over the lathe, some try to peer into the hole. Mark said this will just make your back hurt! He stands normally and comfortably and hollows by feel, the only way possible anyway!

He was hollowing small things. Some people do like to hollow large things with a sliding headstock pushed all the way down to the end. Gives more room for a comfortable stance. I have one lathe (a Jet 1642) positioned so I can do this but my primary lathe is "boxed in" on the end. I rarely hollow something large or I might reverse the two.

JKJ

Damon McLaughlin
05-10-2017, 12:49 PM
I'm headed down this afternoon with my neighbor's truck. The seller said I could take all the time I need to check it out and also said I was welcome to chuck up a piece of wood and give it a try.

I've been up all night going over different ways to place the lathe, I think it will be a long end of the week as I play with different ideas. I have a couple ideas where I might be able to place it so I can get to the end of the lathe. Yesterday I had a chance to turn on a very small 10" lathe at the Vet's Garage in Spokane and I really liked turning from the end when I was hollowing a bowl. But first I have to see if it even comes home with me.

I had never thought about the size of turnings being too large before but it really makes sense. I looked around my house and it would be challenge to find a place to put a large bowl or platter so the 16" capacity should be more than enough. I've been giving my turnings away and have not gotten into selling anything (I did sell a couple pieces when someone asked to buy and that paid for some sand paper). When I was at the Vet's Garage yesterday I was told of a guitar shop that likes to display (and sell without commission) wood turnings from local vets so I might see about dropping off a few pieces.

As always I appreciate everyone's feedback and I'll post later how my lathe shopping experience turns out.

Damon McLaughlin
05-13-2017, 11:12 PM
I just wanted to follow up with an update. I took the two hour drive to look at the Jet 1642 last Thursday. It was covered in a lot of dust and grime, a test wipe revealed that it would clean off easily. The motor ran great, all the bearings appear good and the alignment was spot on. No rust on the bed and after taking it for a test turn we came to a price that made us both happy. Its amazing how easy it is to maneuver when its taken apart.

So the lathe came home with me, along with a tremendous amount of wood including madrone burl, cherry, walnut, figured maple, a lot of cocobolo, sapele, oak and some other wood I can't identify. The two PSI chucks were rusted and appear undersized for this lathe and the two cole jaws are missing parts. In addition to the stock tool rest there were two Robust tool rests, a variety of live centers and spur centers and a nice six inch face plate.

After I got it home and while the parts were in manageable sizes I put everything on the lawn and gave it a good washing (was very careful with the headstock!). I had to remove one cabinet in my small shop but the lathe is now set in place. What a joy to turn on! So much different than my Rikon midi lathe. I didn't get the rotating headstock, a feature I really wanted, but I'm happy with my new to me lathe, and my new stash of wood!

Here is just part of the wood included with my lathe purchase. It may not be fancy wood but its pretty nice wood to me.

Dwight Rutherford
05-13-2017, 11:30 PM
Congratulations! I know you will love this lathe as I have for many years. Let us see your turnings.
BTW nice wood haul.

Damon McLaughlin
05-14-2017, 12:47 AM
It seems as if I've been spending more time reorganzing and cleaning shop than I have turning. But I will post some of my work when I get them done. Dwight, I have a brother in Wheatland just down the road from you. Next time I visit him I'll let you know that I'm in the area, and I'll be sure to bring a piece of wood!

Allan Ferguson
05-14-2017, 7:34 AM
I have been watching for an update. Looks like a good assortment of wood, $$$$. You will really gain in appreation of your lathe as you explore its capabilities and your own. Enjoy!

Dwight Rutherford
05-14-2017, 11:33 AM
David, look forward to your visit! I may have a chunk of wood to reciprocate.