PDA

View Full Version : Now about that Festool CD in Fine Woodworking

Bart Leetch
10-21-2005, 3:43 PM
I really enjoy my Fine Woodworking magazine & now they are including reach out & grab ya CD's WOW that saw system really grabbed me. Real cool. I noticed that they just set the guide bar on top of the material & go ahead & make the cut. They do have clamps but seem to do most of the cutting without. What keeps the guide from moving as the cut is made?

Mike Wilkins
10-21-2005, 3:49 PM
Just learned that my saw/guide shipped out on Thursday, so I do not have any time on this system yet. But my understanding is that there are strips under the guide that keep the guide from sliding from the mark you set. I watched Tom Silva of This Old House use one, and he did not use clamps of any kind to secure the guide. Just hand pressure or pressure from the weight of the saw will keep it in place.
Nice touch from FWW to enclose the video. Must be the mark of a high quality company to send out something like this. We'll see soon.

Dave Falkenstein
10-21-2005, 4:09 PM
Yep - there are two rubber strips on the bottom of the rail that hold it in place while the cut is made. The strips work well as long as the cut is made over a reasonable amount of surface area. There are clamps available for shorter cuts.

Larry Heflin
10-21-2005, 4:38 PM
No CD in my issue. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

Larry

Scott Coffelt
10-21-2005, 4:40 PM
I didn't get one in my issue either, but all you need to do is go on Bob's site (http://festool.safeshopper.com) and request one. He'll have it out to you in a jiffy.

The saw system is real nice and yes all you need to do is lay the rail done and go. If you think you need it, you can clamp.

Frank Pellow
10-21-2005, 6:38 PM
I rely on the rubber strips most the time but, when a cut is really critical in expensive material, I also use the Festool-supplied clamps. They are not expensive and are easy to use.

My guess is that I have made about 2,000 cuts with my rails and used the clamps maybe 50 times.

Bart Leetch
10-21-2005, 6:52 PM
I rely on the rubber strips most the time but, when a cut is really critical in expensive material, I also use the Festool-supplied clamps. They are not expensive and are easy to use.

My guess is that I have made about 2,000 cuts with my rails and used the clamps maybe 50 times.

So Frank whatcha makin segmented bowels???:eek: ;) :D thanks for the answers guys.

Bob Marino
10-21-2005, 7:30 PM

Same here, Frank.

Bob

Bart Leetch
10-21-2005, 9:29 PM
I just found this site with a EZ Smart guide system holding hands with a Festool router I'm soooooo confused.:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

Frank Pellow
10-22-2005, 8:47 AM
So Frank whatcha makin segmented bowels???:eek: ;) :D thanks for the answers guys.

Same here, Frank.
Bob

Bart and Bob your reaction got me thinking about my 2000 claim. I realize that number includes the cuts that I have made using the rail on my MFT (Multi-Function Table). The number just using the rail placed onto the board is closer to 1000. The number of times I resorted to clamps with such a setup remains at about 50.

Bill Spievak
10-22-2005, 11:08 AM
I purchsed my Festool saw and guides just this month and used them to cut 6 sheets of 3/4 inch Cherry ply. I originally thought I'd just rough cut them since it was my first time. I set up my cut list so I was leaving a 1/2 inch kerf. After a couple of cuts and seeing the quality I went to cutting everything to final size except for the small pieces that I used the SCMS or table saw for. I used the clamps for all the initial cuts and then I decided to try some cuts, without the clamps, on two 4 inch by 8 foot pieces that were scrap. I supported the full width of the guides with out pieces of the ply. I cut them just fine without the clamps. Color me pleased.

Chris Barton
10-22-2005, 11:56 AM
My MFT1080 came in yesterday and after playing with it last night I am convinced that I will never work with sheet goods the way I used to. The ATF55E has changed my life and the MFT1080 took that to a whole new level. I no longer dread cutting sheet goods although I do continue to dread lifting and moving sheet goods. Now, if the Festoolians could come up with some antigravity device that makes handling sheet good less dangerous and awkward..

PS: they certainly didn't try to make the MFT lightweight, I was going to hang it on the wall of my basement for storage purposes but it weights a ton.

Steve Clardy
10-22-2005, 8:46 PM
Well somehow I've managed to have two of the cd's, and no time as of yet to watch either. Lol

Chris Barton
10-22-2005, 8:49 PM
My suggestion, DON'T WATCH THEM, unless you want to be compelled to buy a/some Festools...

Jim Becker
10-22-2005, 8:52 PM
You will be assimilated... :)

Scott Parks
10-22-2005, 9:12 PM
I had 3 disks. Gave one to my neighbor. He immediately went to woodcraft to play with the sanders! He came back home and started getting out a pile of his other sanders to sell them! Said he needed a quick $250 to do some Festool shopping...:cool:

Russ Massery
10-22-2005, 10:47 PM
I can relate to that;)

Ian Barley
10-23-2005, 4:47 AM
I add my vote to the "never needed clamps" camp. As long as the full width of the rail is in contact with the workpiece I have never felt the need to clamp.

Jay Knoll
10-23-2005, 8:07 AM
I guess it depends on how I feel about the cut, if it would be a major problem if I slipped, then I clamp.

BTW, I put up a couple of IKEA wall cabinets yesterday (trying to take my mind off of the hurricane). Anyway, the cabinet attachment points didn't line up with the studs, so I had to make a French cleat. Was thinking of cutting the angle on my bandsaw then said to myself DUH use the Festool saw. Cranked it over to 45 degrees, slapped the guiderail on and it was done. No mess no fuss. I didn't clamp on this one

Jay

JayStPeter
10-23-2005, 10:12 AM
I haven't made thousands of cuts yet. But, in the couple hundred I've probably made I've used the clamps once.
My two main uses for the saw are to size plywood and to help in preparation of rough lumber. I regularly cut parts out of rough boards where only 4-5" of the rail are on the board with no clamps.

Jay

Jim Becker
10-23-2005, 10:38 AM
The only time I've clamped is for dados/grooves with the router. It doesn't move with the saw in my experience so far.

Maurice Ungaro
10-23-2005, 5:14 PM
OK, am I the only one who got the CD in the FWW issue, AND could not find the "special offer" anywhere amongst it's contents?

Russ Massery
10-23-2005, 7:28 PM
Maurice, Click on the box marked "EXCLUSIVE FESTOOL OFFER"

JayStPeter
10-23-2005, 8:02 PM
The only time I've clamped is for dados/grooves with the router. It doesn't move with the saw in my experience so far.

I had to at least try the clamps I bought :D

Maurice Ungaro
10-23-2005, 8:55 PM
Russ,
That's just it - there wasn't a file for that. Could be it's because I run a Mac system. Oh, well..the CD went out in the trash anyway, as I watched all the blurbs on the tools I can't afford!!

Scott Coffelt
10-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Maurice, it (offer) was a $25 rebate per tool.

larry merlau
10-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Well somehow I've managed to have two of the cd's, and no time as of yet to watch either. Lol
the reason you got 2 steve is so your eveil twin can look at one as well:D

Maurice Ungaro
10-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks Scott....it's a nice offer, but I'd have to pass anyway.