PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID help?

Maria Alvarado
05-08-2017, 9:11 AM
Hi Folks,
Lucky me, a gentleman at work is clearing out his father's workshop and brought me a very heavy lovely chunk of wood that I'm not familiar with. Seems to have an open grain at least in the sapwood, and no discernible smell, so I don't think it's in the rosewood family, though it is very dense like they are. I took a few pix, hopefully someone will recognize it.
Thanks for your help!

John K Jordan
05-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Hi Folks,
Lucky me, a gentleman at work is clearing out his father's workshop and brought me a very heavy lovely chunk of wood that I'm not familiar with. Seems to have an open grain at least in the sapwood, and no discernible smell, so I don't think it's in the rosewood family, though it is very dense like they are. I took a few pix, hopefully someone will recognize it.
Thanks for your help!

A picture of the face of a board usually gets lots of guesses to choose from. The problem is many species look similar and even wood from one species can look very different.

Another way is to do your own analysis (a bit of a hobby of mine). The most useful is to take a close look at the end grain. This might be some good reading: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-identification-guide/

JKJ

Maria Alvarado
05-08-2017, 2:46 PM
Thanks John,
My carving knife made no headway on the end grain, so I'll have to wait until I get it home and can cut a fresh surface.
Thanks for the link, as a scientist, I'm definitely not afraid of doing my own research ;).

John K Jordan
05-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Thanks John,
My carving knife made no headway on the end grain, so I'll have to wait until I get it home and can cut a fresh surface.
Thanks for the link, as a scientist, I'm definitely not afraid of doing my own research ;).

If this subject is interesting to you, consider the book "Identifying Wood" by R. Bruce Hoadley. He has good instructions and an organized method of identifying at least the common domestic species. He uses a single-edge razor blade to prepare the end grain, soaking the wood in water first if it is too hard to slice. He recommends a 10x magnifier. I've found this to be the absolute best with built in lights, good optics, and so cheap it's practically free:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMDIOBK

I mostly use a low power (15x and 30x) stereo microscope since it is very comfortable, great optics, and I happen to have one. :-) I do have some laboratory compound microscopes but their lowest magnifications are too high for this - great for looking a the cellular structure, though. BTW, another aid to wood ID is a good 365nm UV light - some woods fluoresce distinctively making a positive ID easy. However, the UV light has to be good - I have bought and tested several lights found (big surprise) you get what you pay for.

Here is a link to the Hoadley wood ID book: https://www.amazon.com/Identifying-Wood-Accurate-Results-Simple/dp/0942391047

I also highly recommend his other book for anyone with a curious mind who is interested in wood: https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Wood-Craftsmans-Guide-Technology-ebook/dp/B004WYO862
(I'm a sucker for books - the little library in my shop is overflowing.)

Bruce Hoadley is not only a scientist himself but a wood craftsman - his personal interest in the nature of wood and how it behaves is a real plus!

Just curious, what is your field? I am retired from Oak Ridge National Lab since 2006 - I was in software development, R&D, and 3D computer modeling/graphics. I took a quick look at your profile and noticed the knitting and spinning. I've run into a couple of fiber arts people here and in another wood forum. I have several spinning wheels and raise llamas and alpacas so I have an abundance of fiber - if you get up this way stop and visit and take some home! My architect son taught me to knit a few years ago but I'm not very good at it. I do occasionally turn drop (and supported) spindles, spinning wheel parts, and a yarn bowl or two.

JKJ

Maria Alvarado
05-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Thanks John,
Those books do look interesting, I will check them out. Probably about time I learned bit more about wood identification, since I tend to pick it up from the side of the road or someone's relative's ancient unlabeled stash. Our scopes are bottom lit for slides, so not much help to me (and I don't think I'd learn anything helpful by tossing it into the MRI).

My field is developmental and cognitive neuroscience. I'm a research prof at the Yerkes/Emory. Currently looking at the effects of perinatal exposure to anesthetics, in one study, and Zika in another, on cognitive and socioemotional development.
My sister and her husband breed alpacas (Renaissance Ridge Alpacas, in CA, if you are interested) so occasionally I get fleece and yarn from them. I'd be interested in seeing your spinning wheels. Building one is one of the many projects on my to do list.
Thanks again for your guidance!
Maria

Reed Gray
05-09-2017, 11:39 PM
Long ago while still doing craft shows, I figured I needed a swatch book of as many different kinds of woods as I could get my hands on. Half of those who stopped to look at my work were other woodworkers. Every one had to guess which woods were which....

robo hippy

John K Jordan
05-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Long ago while still doing craft shows, I figured I needed a swatch book of as many different kinds of woods as I could get my hands on. Half of those who stopped to look at my work were other woodworkers. Every one had to guess which woods were which....

robo hippy

This poster is fun.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBELFW9

JKJ